Scottish Runners

Comments

• Hi folks, just back froma short break.  Spent a few days on a cruiser on the Caledonian Canal imageimage A friend hired a huge baot and asked us to join him. It was great fun and very relaxing and i can thoroughly recommend it. Handy tip though: if you do it, get a baot twice the size that you think you need. There were 5 of us on a 8 - 10 berth boat and it was still 'cosy'.

I did a couple of 4 mile runs on the canl path and thoroughly enjoyed them. I am really glad i decided to take the full week off after LN. It meant that my runs this last week were comfortable and enthusiastic. I meant to get out today, but it has just started to rain. I should have gone out first thing instead of doing the chores image

Anyway, all ready to get back into the swing of this this next week. I have a new weights prgramme all ready to go and a bit of a plan to take me up to Glen Clova.

I need to read back as I only skimmed the last couple of pages, but congrats RJ image and I hope Tom's race went / goes well.

• Glad you had a good holiday FFB. Hope your training for Glen Clova goes well.
  • Sounds like a good break FFB image. I quite like going on smallish boats, but could never work out port and starboard, so dont ask me to steer! imageimageimage.

Back up to 7m today, its slow but steady progress image. Even threw in a few short sprints at the end image.

Had to finish some work this afternoon so I'm feeling suitably image image now.

Aaahh time for a Guinness......I'm so glad October is my month off from marathon training imageimage.

• Well I am now an official member of the Cambuslang Harriers!  Yeah!!!  Looking forward to racing as a club member!  Been in Edinburgh for the weekend - great stay int eh Sheraton Grand.  This morning went down to the city centre and there was a race on the Mens Health Survival of the Fittest.  Its a 10k course but with obstacles - looked really hard, but the sportsmanship was amazing to see - lots of helping other runners!
  • Ran my first race since breaking leg in  Feb , 2008. Have been running in low 9's in training.  Thought it was possible for me to break 9's and be around 56 minutes for a 10k. Well, I shocked myself . Ran 50,10 at an 8.07 pace. My first 2 miles were under 8 minute pace. For me to place in my age group I need to be a miute faster per mile, but I know this being my first race it is in reach. Still staying strick with Heart rate monitor, doing 70% of my max on easy and lsr day. Hope yall have a nice week; enough on me, but I am elated and flying high.
  • Morning you lot.

Just back from a weeks hols in the Costa del Sol. Loved it and it was sunny, clear blue skies and in the high 20s all week.

Reality (and cold) check this morning !!!!

Catch up time.

• Hi Evertbody!

So summer is over eh! image

Well done on all the weekends efforts!

Dude - so you decided to save yourself for the apre-party and marshall instead of running ???

Tom - you must feel that a load has been lifted with having completed your first race back so well. Good stuff. Onwards and upwards!

KKB & birkmire - hols sound great! Nice to chill our for a bit before the mad push to Xmas.

Congrats on joining the Harriers Kirsty. I guess you folk from Cambuslang are right into hill work!!! I'm from Bothwell where it is fairly flat - though the hill back up from running round Strathclyde Loch is a killer.

I did the Aviemore half yesterday. We were all freezing waiting for the start but fine when we got going. The water stations were the weak point as usual but otherwise a great run, with stunning autumn scenery. The rain even stayed off till mile 13 image. I was expecting to plod round, it being my third half in 3 weeks, but it all went well and I finished exactly one minute slower than my PB. Third time running this half and event best for both OH and I. So we were pleased with that.

Next race - Strathaven  Run with the wind 10K.

Have a good day!

• Good running Tom, well done on your first run back from injury.

Aviemore sounds lovely SFC.

Hope you enjoy your new club Kirsty.

Wrap up warm Birkmyre!

I'm off for a lunch time plod in the drizzle.

• Wellddone Tom, great result for your first race back. image

Like the sound of your bike ride Tigerspaw. Happy new bike hunting image

Men indeed tricialitt!! Hope he's calmed down a bit now!!

Well done SFC and OH for Aviemore. meant to be a good one. One day ..... image

Lucky you Birkmyre. Bit different here then eh? I do like the cold and wet tho - must be mad image

Hope you get a lot out of being at the club Kirsty. Def. the best thing I ever did image

lol at your cosy boat FFB image  Been on the broads and thames in a boat before and yeah it can be a bit crowded regardless of how big your boat is. You just have to really get alongwell with whoever you're with I suppose image

Happy Monday everyone. Still full of the cold and not run since Tuesday last week image but my entry for the Highland Fling is complete and in the post imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Wow Tom thats a great time for your first race back - wish I could do that kind of time! 

I'm off on my October holidays this week, so glad of it as I have been exhauseted recently.  Been at teh gym already today and loved it - I could get used to this!

Off to enter the Edinburgh marathon.  Also looking for a ladies hi viz jacket at a reasonable price but having difficulty.

• A'noon you lot.

Tom: Well raced.

Kirsty; Enjoy your new club.

Bedshaped: There were actually quite alot of local runners out in the evening runnning along the 2.5Km Sea Front. I am well wrapped up today and there's a cold starting !!!

Used the hotel gym a couple of times and thought I had 'rediscovered my old form' was until I realised it was set at Kilometres not Miles...So still got a long way to go.

• Aldi got run stuff last week Kirsty incl yellow jackets.
  • Oh wish I had known about that last week image  Any other suggestions folks?
  • Thanks everybodby and good luck to those doing Edinburough. Good luck Kristy G.. SFC you're right , I wondered if I was restricted with pushing in a race. Now I know that it is a matter of getting fitter because I had the kick that I thought was gone. Have a great week. When I was younger I didn't quite understand about the use of a heart rate monitor, but this old dog is beginnning to learn a new trick. The older you get ,, you got to depend on the knowledge you've obtained to run better.
  • Oh dear Bedshaped, post-marathon cold / flu? Think its quite common for that to happen, I try to keep out of peoples way for at least a week after a marathon so I dont catch anything. Not always easy to do though!

I like the way you just subtly sneaked mention of the Highland Fling in there at the end Bedshaped, so as no-one would notice image. You mad bugger entering that image, you've obviously been spending too much time hanging about with that nutter Karen D imageimage. Oh well 5 months to train if you dont count October (which I'm not image) imageimage.

• Hi guys - well done Tom and the other racers at the weekend.Must do Aviemore sometime....sounds wonderful....

Been feeling really lethargic for most of last week but feeling energised again - I wonder if it was some post marathon bug thing. So did a 4 mile run with the dog yesterday and had a spin session on my spin bike tonight - pushed it hard and enjoyed it.

Getting excited about racing in NY next weekend - OH is racing as well so it will be great fun.

Kirsty JJB had cheap run jackets a while back - don't know if they are any good.

Bedshaped - maaaaaaaaaad! I thought you were the sensible type as well. Good on you - enjoy.

TP - did I pick up that you are buying a new bike? what you looking at?

• Hi Jaggy - its a new mountain bike or hybrid type I'm after, I dont want to spend too much as it will mostly be used as a knock-about for short rides in the winter and on pot-holed country roads / tracks etc. and in heavy traffic.

At the moment I have a Trek 4300 with semi-slick tyres and a fixed fork so I'm after something similar to that and about the same price range. I'm finding it hard to get a mtb type without the 'bouncy' forks though, but I dont really need them for the type of riding I do, and in the price range I'm looking at any suspension forks they put on it will probably be cr!p anyway!

Or......I could go back to the bike shop, keep my current frame and get new chain, rear cassette, brakes, possibly need a new back wheel too, needs a new peddle on one side image, crank is starting to sound dodgy image, could end up spending over £150 on repairs. The Trek frame fits me quite well and is about the only part of the bike thats in decent condition! Hmmmmm image......undecided at the minute!

• lol yeah it was a bit sneaky eh Tigerspaw image  I do spend far too much time with people who do so many ultras it's considered "normal". I feel a bit of a lightweight planning a mere 53 miles image

I have a hybrid Trek but i don't use it too much. I am thinking about changing the handlebars and tyres to make it more road bike like but I don't know how feasibile that is, not really being a bike person!!

Hope you have a great time in NY Jaggy - sounds great image  Good to hear you're feeling good and getting back into things.

I think I'll go out for a wee walk. Been at home alone with kids since last Wednesday so been house-bound or restricted to a slow stroll pace so it will be nice to move at a decent pace!!!

Kirsty, I have a JJB yellow gilet which is fine, does the job image  Have you checked Aldi to see if there's anything left? Happy hunting!!

• Hi TP - sounds like you're thinking it through and will work it out - have you checked Edinburgh Bike Co-op?

Bedshaped - check the geometry of the frame versus a road/cross bike frame and see if it will work with the changed set up. I was over at recyke a bike in Stirling today with an old road bike that I'm sorting out for my son. They are cheap cos they are a charity and do a good job. I trusted them with my good road bike and they gave it a service and fixed the bits I wanted changed and I have to say did a great job. If you took you're bike over there they would be able to tell you if it is possible to make the changes you're considering. 

It's a 5 mile race in Central Park and it will fulfill another one of my daft ambitions. Maybe the marathon in NY sometime but just happy to be racing over there this weekend! 

• Go for it Bedshaped, I think 53 miles is an excellent goal for 2010 image. Uh-oh I must be a nutter too image.

Its a bit of a shame we dont have more of the 30mile or thereabout runs I've seen advertised down South, I fancy a crack at something about that distance, everything up here seems either standard marathon or Too Bloody Long image. Like you say though its all relative image.

Simple upgrade to get your hybrid faster on the road would be change the tyres to semi-slick, so you still have some grip in the wet, but get rid of the knobbly mtb type that stick to the road, thats probably the cheapest and easiest thing to do. The narrowness you can go down to for the tyre size will depend on the wheel width and diameter, so you would need to check that out before buying new ones, although mtb wheels are pretty standard, just dont buy a 700C road tyre (obviously image).

With handlebars, some people find they dont like using racing bike type 'drops' if they are used to mtb flat type, and it does change the handling of the bike. I certainly find 'flats' easier if you are riding in heavy traffic, more upright position and easier to react quickly to situations.

Also you could get a lighter saddle, and take off any bits you dont use (like if its got a pannier rack etc), oh and peddle straps are a good cheap ugrade too, good for climbing hills without the scare factor of actually clipping yourself to the peddle image.

• I forgot about the Edinburgh Bike Co-Op, Thanks Jaggy image. A friend of mine got a touring bike from them years ago.
  • Kirsty - I got an Aldi hi-vis for OH and myself - £15 each - not quite the quality of a Brooks Nightlite but will do the biz..

Check and see if they have any left.

• What's all this bike talk on a runners forum then .. image 

Recommend Aviemore half to anyone - also Lochness 10k, Tain Hill Trail race (12), Lossie Turkey Trot 10 and that's before the Heb 3 and other half mara/full marathons out in the Westen Isles ...

• Lol Fluffyrunner - some of us are known to digress from the running chat occasionally image. Did you do the Heb3 this year? I only managed 2 of them in the end image. Glorious though image.
  • nope have only done the Harris half a couple of years back, which was lovely though very hilly .. great weather though.  did Aviemore yesterday, feeling the soreness today image
  • Harris is certainly a lovely place, that run is definitely on my 'to do' list image.
  • My parents are both from Harris and I feel it's my home.......

Love it

• When I'm having one of my 'hating the City' type moments then Harris is certainly the kind of place I think about moving to. I'm not sure I could handle the winters though, I spent a couple of winters in Shetland and that near did my head in image. I said to a Shetlander, so what do you do in the Winter? and he said 'stay in'! LOL, that was about right, it was too windy / cold / dark to go out in Nov and Dec image.
  • LOL @ TP saying bedshaped is mad for looking at scary distances.......something about the Jurrassic multi-day event springs to mind image

Kirsty, the other thing is to keep an eye on Lidl, they normally follow a similar stock cycle to Aldi and I haven't seen them stocking running gear yet - and sales are always good!

Thanks too for all your good wishes image I told my mum that I'd heard it would improve my marathon time, don't think she knew whether I was being serious or not......