My Last Run

Comments

• Howdy, went out early this morning. Brrrrr! Got rained on intermittently too, but no great probs.

I am new to the whole LSR thing (having recently converted from just running hard the whole time) so set out for 10 miles at 8m/m. (having done 7m/m for my Sunday race) 

Came in with 10.38miles in 1:21:54 @ 7:53m/m so that was ok. It feels odd because it is so different to what I am used to and feels easy. But I guess thats the idea. Still I an not kidding myself I know its only 10 miles! Stick another 10 on and it will feel a whole lot harder. I will start to increase the length of my LSR too. From reading some of PhilPubs interesting posts I maybe need to drop to even 8:30m/m

Hope the exam results are what you hope for Postie, and Good luck Dr Dan for your 10mile race on Sunday. And anyone else who is racing this weekend! (Abingdon?) Look forward to hearing how you get on.

JogWatch 0 (can you believe it 10miles and no-one!)

PS

• First run for a week had a problem with my hamstring 10 days ago, which broke down when I tried to run on it again a week ago, now come down with a chesty cold.   Did just over 5 mile easy run along the embankment this lunchtime.  37:30.  Bit windy, but the sun came out, toutrists particularly stupid round the eye today.  Felt pretty reasonable, with the usual aches and pains when running for the first time in a little while but everything held together.

Jogwatch: 62

• Afternoon and early good evening to all.

Was out last night so only aimed for about 4 miles today. Ended up doing my normal out and back with a bit added on the end. Didn't push it (average HR was only just over 70%image) and still ended up with a pretty respectable time.

4.4 miles in 35'25 @ 8'03/mile. 

I'll be aiming to do 10k tomorrow afternoon, I have a fieldtrip into the hills tomorrow morning (image) so I won't be able to run with the dawn unfortunatelyimage

• gym session again last night for me.  Hilly intervals with rowing in between then abs. Yoga earlier on this evening which stretched me out a bit. How the heck some of them get into those positions I'll never know.  I can't even sit cross legged.image

Good luck for this weekend all you racers.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

17 Oct.  Haven't had post notifications for a few days, so I hunted down the thread to find out how folk were going along.  Decidedly autumnal as I toured Victoria Park, the fallen brown leaves crunching under my feet and preparing to give new life to the soil.  Dropped down to the grassy expanse to see a huge orange orb fast sinking into the sea in Liverpool Bay.  Back over the railway & thro' the park for the miles I needed to hit 40 for the week. image

2.6 miles, 23:00, JogWatch: 0

16 Oct. A fastish road run to Blundellsands and back through Crosby on a perfect morning - too dark for JogWatching tho'

5 miles in 42:11 

• Another poetic streak again Swittleimage
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Thank you, Katb image  My running wouldn't be complete without Nature's backdrop. image
  • gmikegmike ✭✭✭

Mornin All image

Today -  Early image - 11.2 miles - 2 hours - av 11:13 bpm 132

Out at 6:50am, for a few slooow miles off road, in my shiny new Brooks Cascadia's.
    Thought it was about time I invested in a pair of trail shoes so while I was road shoe shopping yesterday I treated myself.

From mine I headed out across the rec to Benfleet station, along Ferry road until just before the bridge then hung a left onto the creek path. Followed this for three miles or so to Leigh station then doubled back, this time along the top of the Downs, up and around Hadleigh Castle, towards Benfleet. Just before Benfleet I doubled back again, for half a mile ish, then crossed the railway tracks for the homeward leg. Great run, lovely time of the day and finished wanting more image

Hope I find you all in fine fettle. Been a while since my last post .. so much to do, so little time image

Hey Swittle, Hey Katb .. How's tricks?

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Hi there, gmike - a v. wise investment, I'd say.  Over the spring & summer, most of my running was country track, trail or beach.  Not only easier on the increasingly decrepit swittle bones, joints & muscles image but much more fun visually and always more challenging physically.

Good to read you're running well.  My streak's still in tact and I recently went through five thousand miles since it started.

Take it easy! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif]

• Morning all.  LSR for me today but it had to wait until I had taken the dog out for her run about with her ball in the field and then a large cup of coffee.  I was going to do my 8 mile route today but the battery in my mobile phone had died and my 8 mile route is along lots of lonely back roads so I decided to change my route and stick to the main roads.  Today's run was done at a nice and easy relaxed pace and I was just able to settle in to it quite nicely.  As I said I stuck to the main roads today and did an out and back route from Hedon to Keyingham.  Distance of today's run was 9.23 miles (so ended up doing more than I originally intended) and the time was 80mins and 52 secs which gave me an average pace of 8.46 min/miles.  The pace was nice and easy and I could have run further but hunger was starting to kick in so very pleased with this mornings run. 

Jog Watch - 1

Bunny with mixi watch - 1

• I Gmike, nice to see you posting again.  I'm still running although it seems very slowly these days.  I've taken up yoga and my legs at the moment feel constantly in pain.  I'm going to perservere with it for a few weeks because I want to try to improve my posture.  I tend to slouch quite a bit when I'm running so I'm really concentrating on my technique at the moment.

I've entered Paris next year so I'll be training for that from November and I'm posting on the paris marathon thread in addition to this one.

An early very slowand short hilly run for me today. Started off crossing the A6 and taking the Cuerden trail for about a mile bringing me back onto the A6.  Crossed over by St John's primary school and went down Kem Mill Lane to another part of Cuerden.  Another mile along and crossed Town Brow to yet another part of Cuerden Valley following the stream past the duck pond.  About 1/2 mile along this there's a right turn which goes up a steep hill to the cow field.  Upon checking for cows, I noticed the coast was clear (apart from the sheep) so I ventured into it.  I could see my goal at the top of the cow field and legged it.  About half way up there they were to my left munching away as they do.  Picked up the speed a bit and made it to the steps.  Phew - adrenaline rush or what?  From there I jogged along through the woods onto Cam Lane and past the mysterious mansion which nobody seems to know who the owner is.  Really high walls surround it and it's full of tennis courts, and various pitches and small out-houses. (It's all brand new) rumour has it it belongs to someone on the board at manu but who knows?  Anyway, back to the run - along through the woods down hill and back up towards Asda.  From there it was just back home through the estate.

4.5 miles 52 mins very slow, but I wasn't trying to break any records, just enjoying the day.

Sheep watch lots

jogwatch 2

dogwalkers 5

tiny little calf 1 really sweet, a pity it's going to grow big and menacing looking. Oh and the cows!!!

• Sorry I was trying to put in a link to the mansion, but when i tested it it didn't work. OK I think I've got it now

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.708685,-2.648504&spn=0.001857,0.005659&t=h&z=18

this was taken a few years ago before they started to develop the grounds.  It's absolutely full of sports stuff now.

• Just home from the Seaside 10K!!image

Got there early to meet a few people, met Xan, Golg Pig, Kerry and JPAtko before hand for a chin wag!!

Anyway in no time it was time to go over to the start line (lost Xan), stood at the back to avoid the crush at the front and met up with Gold Pig n Kerry. Then heard 10-9-8-7-6..... It was time to set off!!

Could be doin with jogging on the spot so used the grass to get the pace up, looked down and was running 6:40pace!! LOL Thought WOHHHHHHHHHH there and slowed, still doing about 7:30 pace and dodging through the field kept that pace to my surprise!!!!!!image

Coming round for the end of the 2nd lap saw the wife n kids and in a moment of madness, stripped of my jacket and vest and threw em over to her, now just running in my base layer!!image

Started to strugle a little around the 6-7K mark but kept it under 8 m/m and kept an eye on the markers 7K-8K-9K and started to push a little more (I was quite knackered by now though and waited fo rthe sprint finish)!!

Coming round back into the park and saw the finish, waited for about 200m left and basically sprinted in, passing 6-7 people on the way!!image

Anyway 48:07 according to the wife!! I cant tell you my actual time as the Garmin stopped recording at 4 miles (29:50 though at 7:28 avg for that though). Must of been a good 30 secs from the gun going to me pushing start and I dont think I faded to 8:30m/m + over the last few BUT I do know I went under 48, just dont have it recorded!! Anyway as sub 50 was my target and being my 1st 10K race i'm VERY happy with my time!! image

Saw Gold Pig and JPAtko after the finish and both had good times, even saw Kerry near the finish so know she got round (WELL DONE mate)!!

A VERY good day, very well organised race and few faces to names on here!!

Oh and cheers to Eric2 (I asume) for the laminated signs dotted about the course!! LOL Felt almost famous!!image

See you at the next one!!image 

OOH bout 43.5/65

JOGWATCH - Bloody hundreds!!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Well done all! image

MLR ... Bradford City Run (10 miles) ... first off, my dodgey heart behaved itself for the first race since March and consequently I bagged 1:16:18, which is a PB by some 3 minutes (ok, so my last 10 miles was in 1984!). A hilly course (it is Bradford!) and my footpod wasn't talking to my watch (battery running low) so couldn't get a pace readout (first mile in 8:30 ... eeek, need to speed up! ... next 3 in sub 21 ... eeek, need to slow down! .... etc etc.).  Given all that, I'm pretty pleased with 1:16:18 ... but I reckon that is easily beatable on a flatter course.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

That's a highly creditable 10-mile time, Dr, Dan, and it's good the heart's learning its place in your running schedule image

Well done, Paul Williams - of course, you know you're hooked now....

...and courageously run , Katb. Half a ton of heifer unprepared to negotiate frightens me too image

• Hi all,

Actually made it out on a sunday for a change! No ringing first thing(church is closed) so had a mega lie-in and didn't get until gone 10. Havne't done that in a long time and it was lovely.

Anyway, decided to get out for a run and was out before 11. Wanted to go a bit fuRther than I have been recently, so extended the out and back spur by ~ 1 mile. sun was trying to break through the cloud, but it never quite managed it. Still quite warm without that and only a light breeze - enough to feel but not enough to slow you up. Round the road, across 2 fields still with corn (or whatever it is) harvesting going on in the next field over, so I imagine it'll look very different by the next run. Along the track and onto the bridleway. This runs between two fields they were harvesting on Thursday. Amazing how it changes the landscape. Then the extra bit - across the road (pretty fast, so did stop to check it was clear) along the road into the next village, to the junction & back. It always looks like a big V, down then up - and it does it in both directions! Only one car and he crossed right over to the otherside of the road to avoid me - didn't realisle I was that wide. Waved thanks and he responded. Then turned round & headed home. Don't like out + backs, for just this reason. Next extension will be to add a loop on the end of the spur and that'll feel better to me.

Furthest I've been since starting up again (I'm supposed to be taking it easy until I see the physio, so progress hasn't been as swift as it should have been). 5 miles in 58.05 @ 11:37 min/miles.

dogwatch - 8, including a stupid mutt called Harry who refused to return to his owner and kept barking.
    cyclewatch - 3
    combineharvester watch - 1 (no smaller than it was before!)

• Late update, ran this morning on my regular long run route, and felt fantastic. Average HR was just over 73% of MHR, and peaked at 85% during the last mile when I was doing 9mph. Legs felt good throughout and I'm definately regaining endurance after having done 3 long runs the last 3 weeks. 

12.23 miles in 1hr 38' 22 @8'02/mile.

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    Made it out early this morning.  9am.  Quick dash through the streets of Cardiff.  13.1 miles in the first time I've gone under 1:30.  I would describe it all, the scenery, the water, the welcoming crowds, but I missed most of it just concentrating on getting my feet to keep moving.  And now my shoulders are a bit tired to support my typing habit.  So I'll leave the descriptions to others and definitely going back to doing LSRs on a Sunday and less of this silly fast stuff!  image
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Excellent running, Ratzer image

3pm  Grey and cool on Merseyside, with lowering cloud and spots of drizzle, so I donned one tech & one ordinary t-shirt - and was overheating after 20 mins image  Into the breeze on Burbo Bank, I was grateful for the cover and the trails past Hightown led me to the Alt estuary, where I cut back through the hamlet and took to the trails again. Running on sand holds its own challenges but doesn't compensate for hills, I suppose. 

Joining the beach at the Coastguard station, I ran its length by the sea as far as the navigation tower, taking some unwelcome paddles in streams leading to the sea but the final 2.5 miles round the Marina, along the Marine Gardens trail and over the railway passed without further incident.

12.3 miles, 1:50:11, JogWatch: 0

• I left my run until 4 pm this afternoon - got side tracked with little S playing farms this morning and then a delicious roast lunch cooked by the lovely Mr S.  As it was getting a bit on the late side I decided to do my usual 5.2 mile circuit.  I was barely 1/2 a mile out of the village when I came across little S's best chum with his dad and mucky dog, stopped for natter and carried on to Walcot.  A left turn, down towards the ford when Mr S and Little S drive up and park for a natter too on their way back from collecting a load of logs from Eddie's farm.  Over the ford and on the Pickworth, all the swallow's have definately scarpered now, loads of blackberries and sloes in the hedges though.  Through Pickworth - not a soul in sight - and left turn up the hill towards Lenton Lane then another left turn, past Eddie's farm and back home.  A slow, yet sociable run!
  • Evening folks- good run for me today in Lovely Llanwrtyd Wells.

Ron Skilton half in aid of MND- was going to take it easy but just after half way I was told I was the 3rd lady so NO WAY was I gonna slow then.  Very hilly & wet- we were warned the mud was 18inch deep in places. 

Luckily a fellow club member was in my sights & pushed me on to a very pleasing 1hr 54min finish (can't class it a PB as it isn't actually 13 miles -more like 12. 

Anyhoo didn't actually find out where I came officially-will check website tomorrow.

Update Hmmph just checked & I was 3rd so now I'm gutted I didn't get mentioned in the presentation as they only announced the 1st 2 ladies. 

• I am here still

18/10/09 - 13.48m - 2'01'17 
    Well I executed my plan to do a long run on a Sunday for a change. Also it was my way of making up for missing out on the Cabbage Patch 10, I was too late to enter. I decided to have a lie in of a sort. Went out after 8.00 and my oroginal plan was to run 14+ but i decided as i set off to run my half route. So off I wentdown my road, down Joyce's road and along Windsor, through the roundabout and up the pavement to Long Lane. I ran around the now customary car on the corner and ran along the service roads down to and past the shops.
    I ran through the lights and up towards Ickenham reaching Bridge point in a OK 10'21. Ran past the pubs and the Bandstane and on to West Ruislip Station. Trundled past there and carried on to Ruislip. Ran past the shops and turned left into Sharpes Lane, ran down the road and then took the road up to the Beefeater. The run along Long Lane was OK but running up Swakeleys was hard work, I took my second split at teh ped lights but obviously on the opposite side 36'39. My run to the A40 was intersting, I apologised to a cyclist coming up from Breakspears as I ran in front of him and had one of those moments. I go one way, he goes the same way, I go the other so does he, so i took command and made him stop as i ran over to the other side.
    Once past theer I made my way to the A40 and didn't open up this time as I wanted to remain at this constant pace, not running too fast. My split here 10'27. I did have a nice run down to Oxford road and to Oxford point 9'46.
    My run along from here to Rockingham point was quite nice, I was enjoying my run my split though 10'19. After passing Houses point 10'03 I could feel myself beginning to tire somewhat, thoughts of stopping did briefly enter my head but as I made my way down Pield Heath I concentrated on making the distance. Got ro Robbie Bell point in a speedy 9.40. The run up to the end of the road and up harlington to Nicholls point was hardw work 10'30, the chip shop was 4'11 and the library 6'09. I tried to muster as much effort as I could from the BP garage because I wanted to be sub 2 hours, but at the library split told me I had missed it.
    My final leg meant me running in the road down to the Arm's roundabout because of the gas works. I had some extra puff along my road but not much. the time still means that I would have been under 2 hours for a half which is my goal.
    A job well done and aching legs to boot.

jog Watch - 11 (yes eleven)

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

I got up at 6:30 this morning to do 1.35 miles incredibly slowly.  This is an attempt to make today feel okay after yesterday's all out effort.  I think it might be working as I've driven in to work and am sitting at the desk feeling okay if not perfect in the legs.  It was more about the stretch afterwards as a post-race stretch got lost in the post-race randomness.  Tomorrow, I will lengthen it a little but keep it really slow.

JogWatch - 0

• missed updating with busy times at work, last couple runs to fit in

Saturday morning, longer run today as staying with friends tonight, was going for 6-8 miles taper towards my half next weekend, but went out too quick, got three miles in quicker than i would run that distance on it's own, so figured i might as well keep moving and take it as a shorter tempo run. Finished in a pace that would get me round a half in under two hours - don't expect that next weekend, but it's nice to think i could achieve it one day if i keep pushing it. Certainly went through 10K faster than i've ever done before.

6.3m in 56.56.

Sunday morning, easy run after an early night (friends are heavily pregnant so no alcohol involved for a change!). Not sure of the area but followed the roads round. Started off mostly steady run uphill, which was a little unpleasant but was cheering myself up with the thought of the downhill end to the run, however turned out the last mile and a half was consistent up/down quite steeply. Harder work than i was expecting but still cheered me up a little to finish not too slowly as i'm always worried about hills.

3.5m in 34.00

So, couple shorter runs over the next few days and then fingers crossed for the Worksop half. Think if i just take those first hills slow and steady i can make it up later on.... Here's hoping!

• I have not done any hard runs for over a week due to lots of late evenings (drinking, oops) although did manage to put 28 miles in last week, so went out today for a max effort run.

Did my hilly 6.6k loop. No real flat bits all either uphill or gradually downhill.

Managed 6.6km in 27:24.17 @ 4:10m/km

Splits 4:11.64   4:05.43  3:54.85  3:52.22  4:34.23  4:25.90  2:19.90 (600m)

Think it is pretty clear where the hills are image!!!  V pleased, with the time esp as had a stag do this weekend! (Not mine).

However when I finished I did feel like never running again for the first min or so... know the feeling??While running my knee felt fine but now 30mins later the left knee feels awful, fingers crossed. Sitting with it bent is v unpleasant.

JogWatch 1 

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

0630  It was a warm, breezy morning and I got out just after the rain for a pleasant recovery run after yesterday's multi-terrain stuff.  Past Marine Gardens and over to the Marina, where I looped back onto the terrace past the imposing mansions of Beach Lawn and ran up the path to the Baths.  Another loop into Blundellsands took me over the railway and home via College Rd.

5 miles, 42:10, JogWatch: 1, or maybe 2 [could've been the same guy - too dark to tell lol] image

• Very late update today (almost 11 hours late image).

Went around the golf course today on my normal Monday run, which totals at 4.1 miles. Felt really good but resisted the temptation to push it too much. Got faster as I got closer to the finish. Averaged 75% of MHR and peaked at 80%. Finished in 31:11. Breathing was good and I felt like I had an extra gear if I needed it. 

4.08 miles in 31:11 @ 7:38/mile.

• Just back from a recovery 2 miler after Sundays 10K!!image 

Sticking to my schedule so a nice pace to warm up, good job as it was BLOODY FREEZING when I set out!!image

The new base layer top and gloves from Aldi were on and very happy with them!!image

2.36 miles in 21:38 @ 9:10m/m avg pace.

JOGWATCH 0, (PEOPLEWATCH was only in single figures despite running on main roads!!!)image

• I'm guessing about 2 miles, knee was giving me grief so cut the run short, no idea on pace, think the bloody bastard thing needs a few weeks rest.

Looks like it's time to dust the bike off and get some miles in on that to try and preserve a little bit of fitness.

Then going to devise a winter training plan with some solid, consistent mileage over 3 months to build up strength in that leg and hopefully avoid this happening a third time.

• Wish you luck Le Gav.

My knee still v painful today. Been getting gradually worse. Going to give it a few days rest then have an easy trot out on it, but not looking promising!

Be interested to hear what you decide on for over the winter.