10k debut in less than 2 weeks, advise pls

Hello! I am a new 'box fresh' member looking for a few tips for my first ever 10k in just under 2 weeks. I have been training and doing runs of about 6-8k and have done a couple at full length (10k) I have managed to get my asthma under control and am finding it much better now pollen season is over.

I would like some advise on...

what to eat the night before

what to eat that morning

should i buy some energy gels/tablets/drink etc? have only used water till now

and any other tips or pointers I might have forgotten...

doing it for charity and just want to run as much as poss and complete, not aiming to set any fast time but want to put in a respectable performance

thank you in advance image Chloe

Comments

• You don't need to eat anything other than your normal diet the night before, or your normal breakfast, I normally have porridige.

You don't need gels, drinks, tablets or anything else, you shouldn't even need water for a run as short as a 10k.

Start at the back of the pack, and enjoy it image

• ChloboChlobo ✭✭✭
    thank you I usually have porridge for breakfast too so will stick to that, and don't fear I will deffo be starting (and finishing) at the back! image
  • I am sure you'll be fine, just make sure you don't get caught up in the moment and shoot off too fast, its very easy to do.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Hi Chloe - congratulations on becoming a runner - hopefully you'll have many years of fun and achievement. 

Your 10K debut -

Just eat normally the night before - leaning towards carbs - a pasta meal will be fine.

Cereals or toast for breakfast - not massive helpings though - fruit juice or water/ tea or 1 coffee OK

No need for gels/tablets etc for a 10K if you've breakfasted sensibly.  Half pint of water or sports drink half an hour before gun is good - gives you time for one last toilet visit. Nothing needed during the race.

Finally - enjoy the run - you have done the distance more than once in training, so embrace the day !!!

• ChloboChlobo ✭✭✭

thank you, I just started running as I did race for life 5k in may and got the bug once the snot and spit and general wheezing subsided now I find I can run, and run, and carry on running and not have to stop for stitch or to use my puffer, it's mega! I hated long distance at school but have really learnt to love running now and a 10k is my goal for this year. I think I have entered a pretty meaty one though as it's based near an army garrison and I suspect lots of uber fit squaddies will be lapping me! I will just chug on at my own pace though, I want to try and run the whole thing.

ok plan to have pasta the night before

porridge for brekkie

and keep well hydrated but not too much, they do have a water stop half way so might pick some up then, and thankfully there are km markers as I think these will really spur me on.

getting quite excited about it now! image