Anyone else have a problem with the word "race"

Does anyone else have a problem with the word "race"?  Every week I go out with the running club and run ever increasing distances feeling very relaxed.  As soon as I enter a race, however, on the morning the nerves start, the endless trips to the loo so that it is a wonder I get to the start line at all.  Did a 10 mile race on Sunday and was really prepared but the same thing happened.  Is it just me???image

Comments

• I would assume that you get nervous and all the other side effects of that because you want to achieve something. Also the physical effort is much higher for a race.

I certainly do the loo thing myself - but I think we all do!
  • Nope, happens to me everytime too image, thats why there are always moohasive queues at the toilets!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

They're "events" not "races".

Racing is just so vulgar, dahling. I prefer to bimble.

• Same here - no problems setting off from home to cover 10m, but put me in a 'race' environment and its a different kettle of fish.
  • Muttley wrote (see)

They're "events" not "races".

Racing is just so vulgar, dahling. I prefer to bimble.

Sorry darling, but I must prefer "races" not "events"

To me, every race is what it is, a race. I just turn up, hang about, start it, run it, finish it, home. Sometimes I might get nerves before the start like making sure every last drop of urine is
    deposed from my waste disposal region, but thankfully its a rare occurance.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Compared to how I used to feel as a whippersnapper at a judo competition, running races are a breeze!

I suppose I can get a teensy bit nervous when I'm racing for my club, cos other people are depending on you.  Especially my debut steeplechase, cos I was drafted in at short notice and had never even seen a water jump up close!  image Bl00dy sh*t meself that day!  (Got over it OK though.)

• Thanks so much guys.  You have made me feel so much better and brightened my day!!
  • Yaffles wrote (see)

Does anyone else have a problem with the word "race"?  Every week I go out with the running club and run ever increasing distances feeling very relaxed.  As soon as I enter a race, however, on the morning the nerves start, the endless trips to the loo so that it is a wonder I get to the start line at all.  Did a 10 mile race on Sunday and was really prepared but the same thing happened.  Is it just me???image

Mutley is right they are events or training runs in a big group. image

Runnerman I understand your thougts too image

I've found I used to have a bit of a fret as I am doing a fair few half marathons but to be honest that is/was more about  if I'd done enough training!

To be honest the "turn up hang araound run go home" is  a good way of looking at itregarding the loos I always wait untill the absolute death when the queues have gone but sometimes the timings ave been a bit tight image

• I like to think of them as 'runs' not 'races' - takes the competative bit out of the equation.

As for the loo thing..... yup, me too. I think it is subconcious programming image. Either that or all the water I drink in the two days before - because 1. the books say you should and 2. to keep me on the straight and narrow by keeping my wine glass hand occupied.

Any way, whatever, I'm grateful for it, I'd rather deposit it than carry it round for 10k or 13 miles!!!!

• It's good to get the glass in the hand afterwards mind image
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    As for the endless trips to the loo ... that's what bushes are for, innit?
  • yes I guess it's a case of "Muttley do something" image
  • Nope direct opposite, the word race brings out all my competative instincts and makes me run harder than I thought possible but I do not lie awake worrying about it or run to the loo before the start, everything is focused on finshing as fast as possible.
  • Dubai Dave wrote (see)
    Nope direct opposite, the word race brings out all my competative instincts and makes me run harder than I thought possible but I do not lie awake worrying about it or run to the loo before the start, everything is focused on finshing as fast as possible.
    well whatever I  call it come the day I always do my best,I'm never going to win but always aim to get the best time possible,my aim is to try and get past more people than come past me and finish strongly.HM's being my chosen distance I tend to take it steadyish untill mile 8 and have a good last 5 odd miles when a lot of people are flagging image
  • Although I enjoy the race after I've crossed the finish line, I actually don't enjoy the act of racing because I know it's gonna really hurt!  I always get nervous before a race, because of the effort that it will require.  I don't see the point of runners just running at their training pace in races - it's a race - run faster!!!
  • Colonel that is the point  it does hurt image bt ut I like the last section of a race  because its nearly over its definetley a mental thing getting through that pain  in  order to finishimage
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Although funnily enough, I always run faster in races than I do in tempo runs. I actually find that the more relaxed and uncaring about my time I am, the better I run. I mean, my pb's are all from several years ago and I'm not going to see them again.

Must be all those laydeez in lycra to chase image

• I hate races. Every time I race I think "Never again". I try to tell myself to slow down and just enjoy the run. Seems to work when I can remember that tactic.

As for the loo, just tell yourself that your bladder is your water bottle, then you wont need to carry one around with you or stop mid point to grab a flimsy cup half filled with tepid wet stuff and dead flies.

• I enjoy the build up, the thoughts of how to run it, timings etc......

BUT as for the word RACE, the only person i'm racing against is myself, for a PB or decent time as i'm never gonna be anywhere near the front so dont get nervous as such, just cant wait to get going!!image

I like the LARGE training run comparison!! LOLimage

• I used to get too nervous for races to the point I built it up into something horrible in the days or occasionally weeks before and then felt very sick on the day. The main thing that worked for me was telling myself I didn't really care about it in the grand scheme of things UNTIL I was actually starting my warm up or on the starting line and then changing that into caring a lot. If you think about it, there will always, hopefully, be other races. One disastrous race is not the end of the world image fortunately.
  • I do get a bit nervous but nothing too bad. I think it is because I am fairly new to racing and havent learnt to pace myself so that I am buried by the end. When I do and it starts getting a bit unpleasant then I think I might get even more nervous.
  • I get next to no nerves at running races, I'm competing against myself so why should I be nervous?

When I was younger I used to row, which is a different kettle of fish as we were lining up at the start of each race to beat everyone else, not just go quicker than our own last time. Lining up at the start of the national champs, Henley or some regatta in Europe sees you nearly taking a bite out of your seat.

The saving grace is that once you start, nerves disappear and before you know it you've finished.

• I got nervous before the Great South Run last year and ran the whole thing with a nearly full bladder as I didn't get to the loo before the start but now I just want to enjoy the race and try to beat the time from before.

I have had nerves in football, there is only a certain amount of calm you can exude with being the 1st penalty taker in a cup semi final shootout

• I definitely like to think of it as a race. That doesn't mean I'm out there to beat everyone, because I know that's never going to happen, but like Dubai Dave said, it makes me run harder than I thought possible. And I definitely like embracing the competitive element, if someone looks like they're a little bit better than me I'll concentrate on overtaking them. If I wanted to enjoy the run I'd just go out for a run, not take part in a crowdy mass participation event that starts nowhere near home. But then I was one of those mad fools who liked the bleep test at school.
  • Personally I think if you know you are fit enough to run the time you want then thats when the nerves should relent a litte. First race I did was a 10k, I hadnt ran quite that far before and with it being my first experience of a race I was quite nervous. 2nd race was a 10 mile race which I actually didnt suffer many nerves for, possibly because I knew it wasnt my goal race. 3rd race was my goal race (half mara), I had trained 4 months for that so I was quite nervous and was desperate for a pee just before the off. Should I go, Should I leave it. Decided to go!! Did a good race. 4th race (half mara), felt more relaxed. 5th race (10k), didnt feel nervous at all, I knew I was going to run well, I was on my own (previous 4 were with partner), I just had myself and the course to think about. Ran a blinder.

So in summary, the more you do the easier it gets! image

• Good point well made Mr Murphy! I still get a bit nervous before a race and even on club night when some of the fast lads and lasses are out.My tip is to RELAX, drop your shoulders and enjoy it. It has been proven that adrenaline uses up a lot of energy.

Get the training in and good preparation and your legs will do the talking.

• It's not so much nerves, as the bladder filling up again and again even if I haven't drunk any liquid for about six months. I drain every last drop several times before the gun goes, then within a mile or so I need to pee. Why is that?
  • I wish more marathons started at lunchtime. That would give me time to have my breakfast and go to the loo thousands of times in preparation without having to get up at 5 am.