My Last Run

Comments

• Speaking from experience of my last few injuries, if you feel a niggle in or problem in a leg, don't push it, rest it. Maybe even go and see someone about it.

Building up strength is the important thing, I seem to get too caught up in going quickly which ends up leading to injury and don't focus enough on plodding away for miles, getting a really good foundation built up. 

• Afternoon ya'll.

10k tempo run for me today, starting at 8.6 and steadily working up to 9.2 for the last 20 minutes. Ended up with a time of 41:29 for 10k. Legs felt pretty worked and my heart rate averaged 80% of my max. Overall a good workout. 

• 20/10/09 -   4.32m - reverse
    I was deciding whether to run at all tonight. After running 13+ on Sunday I thought I might have an extra days rest. But sitting on my sofa I decidded I had to go out. A short 4 miler with a club run tomorrow. Also the shorter run would hopewfuly mean my right heel doesn't enflame.
    So I ran up to the top of my road avoiding the many barriers. yes the gas works are now in my road. Ran up to the BP garage and was feeling pretty goodby now. It was a leisurely stroll down Hilly Hill and to the RAF roundabout. At this point my stopwatch died so I took it nice and easy. Enjoyed my run down Honeycroft but had to curtail it as it was obviously dark. Sweetcroft looks different running the opposite way. The run along Grovesnor was interuppted by cars so I had to jump up on the pavement a couple of times.
    The final run upto my house was a full on sprint and after, writing this now I feel great.
  • 4.2 miles at lunch time.  It was windy cold and very wet.  I ran pretty quick for me as a result - just under 40 mins - so couldget back to the office for a hot  chocolate and a banana.  I was cheered up halfway by the red arrows practising with smoke and all over the city image
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

0625 and the first time it's been genuinely cold for my constitutional.  Virtually no cars, or people for that matter but that makes my run all the more enjoyable - and safer too.  Wanted to be at my desk by 0730, so it was through Crosby, round Blundellsands past Waterloo FC and over the railway before passing the baths and taking the cycle track and quiet roads home.  Really quite invigorating! image

4 miles, 34:01, JogWatch: 0 

• A very blustery evening here on the East Coast of Yorkshire.  Only 5 of us out for club run so we decided to run around the boundary of Withernsea again.  Running along the promenade tonight was really hard work as it was head wind for the full mile and a half.  It was great to see the waves crashing against the sea wall and the spray coming up though.  Once off the promenade the wind wasn't quite as strong but still hard work.  Really surprised with the time of the run tonight considering how windy it was.  Distance of run 5.7 miles in a time of 49mins and 38 secs.  Av pace 8.42 min/miles.  This was over 2 minutes faster than we did the same run in last week.image
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

It's piffing down here in Fouth Walef.  It was okay on the way out of the door about ten past seven this evening, but I decided against the head torch in case of the bands getting soaked and getting uncomfortable.  So follow the traffic down to the village and then onto the lit dual carriageway.  It's a straight down and back run, dull as ditchwater, made slightly more interesting by the puddles and the steadily increasing rain.  At the turn around point it decided to pour.  As I was trying to keep it slow and easy it was frustrating.  It was actually nice weather for taking off on a bit of a speedy run.  But it's still recovery, race only two days ago.

5.6m, about 50 mins again.
    JogWatch - 2, but no acknowledgement...

• away on a course last couple of days, so took myself off out last night for an explore. nice quiet road tho narrow so the few cars were a little too close for comfort. serious stitch for the first couple miles due to sitting down all day which i'm so not used to, and too much good food from conference centre!

5.3m in 49.56

little concerned that i seem to be consistently running faster than i intend to, will really have to think about my pace during Sunday's half, don't want to blast off and have to drag myself thru the last few miles...

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

An early morning road run at moderate pace through Waterloo, Blundellsands & Crosby.  Too dark for prom, beach or trails - may seek out the headtorch tomorrow.  Breezy and warmer than yesterday and quite pleasant.  Yet another dog was "just playing" today as it bounded around me barking loudly.  I've no longer the will to argue...image

5 miles, 42:00, JogWatch: 1

• At 6am in the morning in the lovely Cubbon park in the middle of Bangalore. Fantastic weather and wondeful to run through the park. Running is a truly universal hobby! Sadly have a sore muscle in the calf though: might be a bit excessive to play tennis the evening before and then go for a run in the morning.
  • my last run was last sunday in edinburgh's survival of the fittest. i managed it in 1hr 5mins 53secs which would have been better if it hadn't been for congestion. it wasn't as hard as i expected. the toughest part was the stair climbs, they really took it out of my legs!! the wall at the end was disappointingly EASY!! hope they bring it back next year, i'll defo do it again and try and get in wave 1 or 2.
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    Bangalore Bulldog wrote (see)
     might be a bit excessive to play tennis the evening before and then go for a run in the morning.

Hey, BB, I've had the same problem with "cross-training" myself.  image

Yesterday night got out late again and added a slow first mile to my lit route just as a warmup.  I'm still running v slowly both as a recovery from last Sunday and because I've decided that winter training will be long and slow.  So, similar to yesterday in terms of weather and route.  Maybe slightly pacier on the way out but restrained on the way back.  6.5 miles, about 55 mins.

JogWatch 1.  Bit surprised by the low numbers.

• Early run today, easyish 5.78miles in 43:43, knee seems ok, despite keeping me up for two hours last night. 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Welcome to MLR, Bangalore Bulldog image

0630  Ran my 'time trial' course on a warm, breezy morning through Waterloo, Rimrose Valley and Seaforth.  Felt heavy legged for the first 15 minutes, then loosened up.  40 seconds slower than a fortnight ago, so that's fine with me.

4.5 miles, 35:49, JogWatch: 1

• I'm just a bit jealous of you, Bangalore Bulldog - weather here certainly not "good".

Managed to dodge the showers (just) and get out for a run. Not a good outing. i've put new insoles in the ball of foot area and I'm not sure they're quite right. Nasty blister on right foot, just behind the ball of my foot. had several blisters here, so may have overtightened the laces. Got to the split in the route and found a dog walker heading that way. decided not to try and pass them 9it's a bit narrow) so went round the loop the other way - and that feels really odd! Stopped at half way to re-adjust shoe, but by this time the damage had been done and I'm about to attack the resulting blister. Could feel it all of the rest of the way, especially on the uneven bits. Recent rain has not penetrated the soil, such that it's solid underfoot,, but has a really slick top layer - a few hairy moments.

4.1 miles in 49:50 @ 12:09 min/miles. Not too bad, considering it felt like a bad outing!

Jogwatch - 1 (doing hill reps, we crossed, 2 mins later, he overtook me, 2 mins later we crossed!)
    Dog watch - 9 (including that stupid barky dog from sunday, and again, she  couldn't get him under control image. I odn;t care if he's never touched anyone, that's not the point)

• Went out this morning at 5:15am for my tempo run (4 weeks into my schedule)!!image

Warm up mile then 4 @ 8m/m then warm down mile!!

It was actually quite warm so no base layer or gloves like Tuesday, trotted the 1st mile then picked up the pace to just sub 8m/m, calfs stills feeling it from Sunday but pushed on!! Got round to 5 mile then a nice steady chill out mile to finish!!image I was quite happy to get round with no stops/walks as at one point I thought I may have to!!image

6.1 Miles in 50:05.image

OOH   49.34/65, JOGWATCH 0 (as per usual!!)image

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Bit of a mixed bag this evening.  Jogged Master R down to his footie practice for 6:30 start, so that was kind of 1 mile of walk/run.  I left him there and set off for a slow run up and down hills through the country lanes - busy ones, mind, so I was constantly shining the Alpkit into drivers eyes.  That soon slowed 'em up.  AND it made 'em dip their bloody headlights!!  My aim was to go far enough to fill the hour he was at practice.  But slow enough to be just an easy run.  That meant really slow up those hills, but not knowing how far I was going or how long I was spending, I went pretty quick down them.

It was a lovely evening.  I was a little warm with a bit too much kit on (but I needed it for walking back).  Made it back just as he finished his practice, so pretty much an hour.  And I've just measured it all out, to about 6.2 miles.  So very slow, really.  Then there was the daddy/sonny bonding as we talked footy for the mile back home.  image

Jogwatch 2, but that was 1 out and 1 in.  None in the lanes.

• Thankfully a much milder night here on the East Coast of Yorkshire.  Another club session tonight and I was told to take it easy as I am racing on Sunday.  Warm up jog round Carrs Meadow before starting on a nice easy session.  We did 4 lots of 800m reps followed by the same of recovery.  I didn't push my pace tonight but just concentrated on getting a nice smooth rhythm going.  Will be having my usual after work swim tomorrow which should set me up nicely for my 10k on Sunday.image
  • My last run was my first 10k. It was great, from Ham House on the Thames, up to Richmond, down to Kingston and back.

It's a whole new ballgame running with so many other people on a path no wider than a pavement, and with so many MEN! I don't know if they were on loan from the local rugby clubs, but the ground shook as they ran.I just kept going to see how many I could pass. 

And the high you feel afterwards! That was so unexpected, I should never have driven home like that. PB - 56.39, quite satisfactory for a 50-year-old newbie. See if I can beat that in 3 weeks' time at the next one.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

A big welcome to "My Last Run", Claire image  That's a top time for your debut at 10K.  and more to come, I reckon.

Where's your 10K., Short Stop?  Good luck! 

• today was a short run as part of the taper, supposed to be easy but i just can't seem to do it... really hoping the hills at the start slow me up on Sunday or i'll be crippled halfway round.

3.7m in 34.23

• D2D - thats a big improvement for you isn't it? 7 min miles are still a thing of dreams for me....

Another club night , another soaking, another hill or 6.....

• Really could not be bothered this morning with it being my day off but after short interval on Tuesday (10 x 0.25mile @ 12mph) and an easy one on Wednesday (10 miles @ 6:46/mi) it was sadly my old favourite mile repeats....got it done though and did 5 x 1 miles @ 5:35/mi average with warm-up/recovery/warm-down.

Nice and easy tomorrow thankfully.

• Nice and easy 4mile pootle this morning 33:02.  V nice not to see a dead cat like yesterday image

Wanted to get a bit of life in the legs before driving down to Devon.

Yeah off on Hols for a week but have to take the old laptop (self employed!!!!!!!) so will be checking in here every now and then.

Well Done Clare on your first 10k, good effort and good luck SS.

Happy running all.

ps - going to try and get out on Dartmoor at least once anyone know a good 8-10 mile route sort of NEwton Abbot side

• Hi Swittle - My 10K on Sunday is a local one, its the Haltemprice 10K.  Its a bit of a hilly course but on saying that I got my 10K pb in this race last year.  image
  • 21/10/09 - 6.71m - 59'17
    Decided yet again to miss my club night and go out early. Nice easy start after my warm up's and onwards. Nice easy uphill climb to the BP garage reaching the chippy 8'56. Ten minutes just before ConeyG. Opened up alittle down Hilly Hill and reached RAF 11'02, which by all accounts was quite slow. The run up to the A40 was better at 9.31. No problem getting across. The run down to the ped lights was nice taking in the service roads as per usual. These actualy come in useful for small bursts of tiny uphill blimbs. Ran OK down to the lights in 8.30. Now of courseI knew I was likely to be under 1 hour for the run which always gives me a wee boost.Bridge point was reached in a 10.28 which was quite poor really, thus making my last sentence a lie! It felt good though. I tried to burst up to the A40 slip and onwards. The final streatch to home was slower than usual but as normal I really ran as fast as I could to the finish line in my road, I love the finish on the route.

Jog Watch - Whopping 6

• DISCOVERY 5K - my last and 1st ever race loved it and cant wait for my next one. consisted of 1uphill only and the rest was a seafront and a finish along a field - wanted a sub 30 and got a 29.44

hoping for a 5mile next

• 2 miler for me tonight!! Running conditions were great, no breeze or chill in the air at all!!image

Just the base/running vest and shorts for the 1st time!! Just taking it easy as per the schedule, wanted to go faster but just settled into a nice canter as I have my 1st ever 7mile LSR on Sunday.image

Really enjoyed myself and cant wait for Sunday!!image

2.3miles @ 8:59 m/m avg so 20:35.

OOH 51.64/65,  JOGWATCH 0 (as usual)