Post run eating?

I tend to do my long (for me) run early on a Saturday Morning, after a snack of a banana and a glass of lucozade sport.

After the run I then tend to feel starving all day and then commbined with a few drinks Sat Eve tend to probably eat far too much on a Saturday as a result of my long run / Saturday treats / reduced willpower after alcohol.

I know before a run = eat carbs. But what about after?

I would like to return from the run and have a filling, satisfying brunch (about 11:30am) that keeps me going until our evening meal (about 7 - 8pm).

What do you recommend / eat after your LSR?

TIA

Kev

Comments

• Porridge and home made fruit toast does it for me, and a large cup of decent fresh coffee image
  • it's always best to replenish with carbs and some protein (4:1 ratio) after a long run as your muscles need to restock their glycogen stores - and the best time to do this is within 40mins of finishing the run

many people aren't happy eating straight after a long run so recovery drinks like Rego come in handy here as it gives what you need and some fluid at the same time

others who don't mind solid food swear by things like chicken sandwiches, tuna wraps etc - your call basically if you stick roughly with the 4:1 ratio

I usually take Rego which normally fills me enough until evening meal time
  • I usually like to have a nice bowl of porridge a couple of hours before my LSR. Then I tend to have a glass of milk on my return with a banana. I will wait awhile before having a light lunch and then meal in the evening.
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Scrambled eggs with sardines (or spinach) on toast, big mug of tea.

Then a bit of a rest for an hour, then a bit more toast with Peanut butter and a nice cup of proper (none of your instant bollocks) coffee.

• I usually have a can of cold baked beans straight away then once I'm showered and dressed I'll have a bowl of porridge and toast and marmalade (pref with real butter!), a cup of non-proper coffee (!!) and a pint of herbal tea.

• usually a bowl of muesli with fruit and a couple of slices of wholemeal toast with peanut butter, washed down by a large mug of something hot, like fruit tea.
  • Cold baked beans?! image  Each to their own Pavey!

I can't stomach much after a run so have some chocolate milk. Then I don't eat until my next meal / snack, which I know is norty but I just don't want to eat anything image

• I have a piece of fruit and a few nuts - don't know if it's 4:1, probably not. If I don't eat soon enough I get really drowsy like I've been drugged and need a kip! image
  • porridge and / or toast with peanut butter and banana.
  • Love the Goodness Shakes with 3 large doorstep wedges of toast with Peanut butter. It doesnt get much better than that surely? image
  • After my morning Sunday LSR I nibble on a few things like nuts, bread and olives, fruit etc while I'm waiting for my lunch to get ready - usually curry & rice, risotto or pasta.  If I'm in a hurry when I get back, I make pancakes stuffed with a sauce made out of some tinned tomatoes heated and mashed up a bit which has had small pieces of chargrilled halloumi dropped into it.  Yum! image

• Peanut butter seems a popular choice - must try it.
  • Crunchy, Kev. Don't come on here if you're gonna do smooth...
  • Siance wrote (see)
    Crunchy, Kev. Don't come on here if you're gonna do smooth...

I'd best be off then image

• I like to eat fillet steak with steamed veg!

...Linda xx

• Oy yes - crunchy it will be.

Will be adding it in to my trolley tonight!

• Definitely crunchy peanut butter.  Smooth is for beginners.  (Sorry Siance, I think I nicked that off you about a year ago but I loved the phrase so much I've been using it ever since.)
  • I eat porridge for breakfast then have my post run banana but then I just crave lots of carbohydrate even after a five mile/one hour training run.  I tell myself no as I don't want to eat the equivalent calories and negate the calorie burn of my run.  However, when I'm deep into my Paris Marathon training schedule which starts the 1st week of December correct nutrition will take the place of weight loss ambitions.  If I get it right, my weight should be just about stable anyway.

However, my craving for chips or rice after a 10km is legendary !  I achived my PB for a 10km then ate an M&S mushroom risotto refuel and reward !

• cathyw wrote (see)
    Definitely crunchy peanut butter.  Smooth is for beginners.

image I love smooth peanut butter. I'm not keen on the texture of crunchy.

• Before a long run, its milky porridge and a banana.  Porridge feels me up for ages.  After, its what i can get!   I just go into the larder to see whats about.  Just don't stand in my way.

I do love peanut butter on toast, crunchy of course!  Even on ryvita with banana, its great.  So full of protein, so its good for repairing the wearing. 

I'm pea...NUTS!!!  image

• Urgh! Just made a terrible mistake tonight. Went out for a 10miler, which is the upper limit of my long run. Came back and noshed last night's spag bol, some rocky road and sponge cake. Started feeling quite sick and not in the mood for drinking liquids.

Now feeling roughtastic, woozy and dehydrated and unable to drink. In the future, I'm going to chug a big drink before eating but alas, I'm a greedy piglet and damn, that spag bol was tasty!
  • ChomskiChomski ✭✭✭
    I tried smooth peanut butter as a child and hated it. From reading in RW and here on the forums I thought I'd revisit it. Still hated it. Is crunchy different enough from smooth for me to give it a try or am I going to hate that too? I do like peanuts, just not smooth peanut butter. In the same way I like cola flavoured things but not coca-cola. I'm complicated like that!
  • Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Post long run I whizz up a shake of cold milk, drinking chocolate, banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter and drink this immediately. An excellent recovery drink and pretty yummy! I will then eat something lightish for lunch like scrambled eggs on toast and then have main meal later.

I have found that my legs recover much quicker these days from long runs so this must be working!

• wolfie jones wrote (see)

I do love peanut butter on toast, crunchy of course!  Even on ryvita with banana, its great.  So full of protein, so its good for repairing the wearing. 

I'm pea...NUTS!!!  image

I'm going shopping for crunchy nutter butter now. image

Before a long run, its milky porridge and a banana.  Porridge feels me up for ages. 

Blimey, that must be a bit distracting before a run.
  • Gizzard Puke wrote (see)
    wolfie jones wrote (see)

Before a long run, its milky porridge and a banana.  Porridge feels me up for ages. 

Blimey, that must be a bit distracting before a run.
    Beat me to it! imageimage

I'm rubbish at eating after a run.  I've been making do with drinking juice although that's not really enough - then I crave rubbish later and get really tired if a long (by my standards) run.  Ladyfe - I might try that shake as sounds yummy - though I'll use soya milk as I don't like the cow stuff.
  • Today I had a small fruit malt loaf and 2 cups of tea, followed by a weight gainer drink. Now I'm showered I've put a big pizza in the oven. I'm about to find out if chicago town takeaway pizzas really are nicer than pizza hut and domino's. 

Before a long run, its milky porridge and a banana.

That's my routine. I love early Sunday mornings before my long run; I like to sit and read while I have a couple of cups of tea and a bowl of porridge with banana and honey.

When I get back I usually have some water and fruit juice straightaway, then something relatively light (I have a typical Sunday roast later on). Today I had soup and two slices of buttered toast (delicious!), whereas other days I might have scrambled eggs or a sandwich. I don't tend to eat anything specific after a run, just whatever I feel like having at the time image