confused

i know you're supposed to have hard days alternating with easy days but what counts as what? at the moment i (try to) do the following:

monday: 1.5hr hard swimming
tuesday: 30minute run incl 10-15mins hills reps
wednesday: 1hr hardish swimming
thursday: 30minute ish - 3 miles as fast as possible
friday: 1hr hardish swimming
saturday: 1.5hrish long run
sunday: rest or cycle

any advice from anyone as to my weekly schedule?

Comments

• drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Susannah,

Your schedule seems quite hard, with what could be classed as 6 hard days. However the hard/easy routine would normally apply to someone who trains for the same discipline every day, eg running and is primarily used to avoid injury and overtraining. Because you are alternating running with swimming and are probably very fit then your schedule looks OK.

Are you training for triathlons or what?

Do you use a HRM? Do you regularly check your resting HR? This is one easy way of ensuring that you don't overtrain.
  • drew,

i'm primarily a swimmer and train and compete with my local masters squad. i've taken up running in the summer just to tone up a bit better and to improve my fitness (being a scot the free aspect of it appealed to me!!) i don't currently train for triathlons but they do appeal to me - but i'd have to do alot of work on the bike to manage one. maybe next summer i'll do one.

i don't own or therefore use a HRM or check my HR. you said i should monitor my HR - when and how often?

i guess i should point out that the fastest i've managed 3 miles is 31.5minutes and my longest run to date has been 6.3 miles - i hope to get to 7 this weekend.

i often miss out either the tuesday or thursday session due to other committments (life just tends to get in the way sometimes!!) so i guess that gives me another easy session.

i was considering adding another swimming session into my routine. any advice? currently all my training done during the week is at night.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Susannah, the reason for checking your heart rate is to ensure that you've recovered from your previous sessions. I tend to check it first thing in the morning or last thing at night and if I have any doubts about my recovery I would also check it 5 or 10 minutes before I go out. If it's too high I'll either abort the session or do something much less strenuous.

I'm sure the same principles apply to swimming and cycling.

I would suggest you ask some of your training partners for their views on your swimming programme as they will be much more knowledgeable than I.

Which part of Scotland are you from?
  • maybe i'll try to keep a note of my hr then. and i'll speak to my coach about my training and see what he has to say!

i'm originally from edinburgh but i live in salisbury now.
  • I find it best to take you HR before you get out of bed as this gives a truer reading - so keep your HRM near to your bed
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    WW, I've always found that my RHR is lower at night than in the morning - explain that one!
  • Drew to tell the truth I've never done mine at night - just got into the habit of mornings cos I read it somewhere (the Triathletes Bible - I think)
  • Hi guys
    I've been thinking of trying a triathlon for some time now...the problem is my swimming! I have been trying to improve my front crawl but don't really know what to try. Yesterday tried doing arms only with a float between my knees and strangely found this much easier than doing the whole stroke! Can any of you recommend any training tip? (Sorry for hijacking your thread - thanks for any help)
    CK
  • hi compass kath,
    you'd probably be better entering this as a new thread, you'll get more replies that way. also there's been quite a few threads on the same topic as this. the general advice is - find out if there's a masters club near you and join them. if not - find a swimming teacher/coach who can help you. if not - read books (total immersion is a good book - you'll find alot of stuff on their website also). however, in my view (and i've been swimming for 20 years and teaching/coaching for 10) is that it's virtually impossible to train yourself at swimming because you can't look at your stroke and see where you're going wrong - you need someone else to do that.

however, saying that - by the sounds of it you're swimming with your legs dragging normally?? (hence why lifting your legs up helps?) so why not try pushing your upper body and head more into the water, there is a technical reason for this - but just try it and see if it works.
  • Thanks Susannah, I'll try that - and look round for a class too.
    Kath
  • Susannah - if you can obtain a copy of The Heart Monitor training for compleat idiots by John L Parker (Amazon.co.uk did have it) there's a bit at the back about training for multi events. Says how to train for triathlon but i'm sure you could adjust it for swim/run schedule.
  • thanks DS. i'll see about getting that (maybe a christmas pressie idea?!) i've been considering buying a HRM as well - i'm getting into all this training stuff!