In light of the other music threads;

best gig - Tool, Notts Ice arena 2007ish

Worst gig - Public Enemy - Manchester Academy ca. early 90's

Gig you regretfully missed - Sigur Ros

Gig you were lucky to see before they split - The Beta Band, Notts Rock City

Comments

• best gig - Pogues St Paddys 1984

or Plant and Page Poole Arts centre 1994 ish

Worst gig - Psychedellic Furs Poole arts centre so bad I thought I was going to die

Gig you regretfully missed - Dead Kennedys

Gig you were lucky to see before they split - The Ramones

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Best gig - Guided by Voices; over 40 songs, nearly 3 hours for £7!

worst gig - Royal Trux (who were supporting Teenage Fanclub)....some friends and I boo-ed so much they left the stage early!

Gig you regretfully missed - Sugar

Gig you were lucky to see - Guided by voices

• Screaming Lord Sutch...Majestic ballroom 1964. He was a monster raving lunatic.

The Beatles...Gaumont Wolverhampton 1963. Couldn't hear a thing because of all the screaming.

Regret never seeing The Who live during the 60's  

• JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

Prodigy - Brixton academy 2007

James brown or the Chemical brothers - the first cos he just went on for ages and quite frankly was SHIT and the 2nd cos it was full of lairy pill heads!! Not pleasant

No regrets i don't think, glad I've seen elton john, would have been cool to see the beatles live, like my mum in The Cavern, she rocked out!! image

• Best gig - Rammstein - nearly lost my eyebrows but they were amazing

worst gig - QOTSA, my ears were bleeding

Gig you regretfully missed -Would have loved to have seen Nirvana - Missed them at Reading

Gig you were lucky to see before they split - NIN - if he is actually going to hang up the keyboard but he is always saying that.

Marty, Mr Shimms loves Tool, he would love to see them live

• Best gig - toss up between Eberhard Weber, Jan Garbarek & Nano Vasconcelas at Gardner Arts Centre, Sussex Uni and Elvis Costello at Glastonbury Festival.

Worst gig - probably Queen at Taunton Odeon '75 or '76 - Freddie had lost his voice and they were truly dire.

Gig I missed - Terje Rypdal at Brighton Poly.

Lucky to see before Jerry popped his clogs - the Grateful Dead at Wembley Arena.

• Autumn66 is the oldest person on this site imageimageimage
  • You bet...we paved the way for all the free love and permissiveness you guys enjoy today...not something to be proud of now imageimage 
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭

Shimmy, Tool were amazing, even my better half enjoyed it, she like the way the lead singer moved - whatever that means!

Nick, good shout for Sugar, I have both Copper Blue and Beaster on my iPod, they help when i'm getting lethargic.

The Who would have been good, obviously with Keith Moon and co.

• worst gig: U2 Zoo station tour. NEC. queued up for tickets overnight as well!

Best gig & a complete surprise: Steve Winwood, B'ham Hippodrome 2008. every song a classic.

Led Zeppelin at Knebworth was great also but Steve Winwood, wow!

Gimme some Lovin

• ooh, I saw the Zoo Station tour at Wembley, I loved it.  Salman Rushdie turned up, didn't expect that.

Marty, ooh a gig that we would both like then? image

• Best Gig - Bruce Springsteen - Old Trafford 08

Worst Gig - Kylie - MEN  08 I was soooooooooooooo bored, it was all so overly choreographed you may as well have been watching it on video.

Regrets - Dont have any image

• Best Gig: Springsteen Wembley July 4th 1984 - Born in the USA tour

Worst Gig: Siouxsie and the Banshees, Coventry early 1980s

Gig you were lucky to see before they split - The Jam, Coventry early 1980s

• garynothin...I saw Steve Winwood back in his Spencer Davis days...some club in brum, can't remember where but it was a cracking night...Keep On Running had just made number one...great days for live musicimage
  • best gig - Tool, Notts Ice arena November 2007 image image It was that good

Worst gig - Stone roses Reading 1996

Regrets Don't regret anything. You should always look forward. image

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Good laser show eh Cake?
  • image Good tunes massive tool fan and they are the best live band ever seen regardless of type of music. image
  • Best: Walk A Thin Line at The Fridge in Shrewsbury. A local band doing a Blues Brothers take-off, but they were great.

Worst: Oliver Mtukudzi at The Barbican - over loud and totally boring, left before the interval.

Regretfully missed: Cocteau Twins at the Coachella Festival, cos they changed their minds about reforming after I'd bought non-refundable festival tickets and transatlantic flights.

Lucky to see: Girls At Our Best, Wolverhamption Polytechnic

• Must keep an eye out for them making the rounds again.
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I HAVE to amend mine due to one glaring oversight...... 

Best gig - Guided by Voices; over 40 songs, nearly 3 hours for £7!

worst gig - Royal Trux (who were supporting Teenage Fanclub)....some friends and I boo-ed so much they left the stage early!

Gig you regretfully missed - Sugar

Gig you were lucky to see - Johnny Cash at Glastonbury 1994

• best - usher

worst - chilli peppers hyde park in the rain with bottle of pee being thrown about and they were rubbish!

• Best - either The Clash 'Take the Fifth' tour Newcastle 1980 or Stone Roses at Spike Island (Crap sound system, overcrowded, no bogs but some seriously good shit went down that day)

Worst - The Fall... Derby... about 96  Mark E Smith was so pissed he couldn't even walk and we got a series of instrumentals with the odd groan

Missed - The Dead Kennedys... Liverpool.. they just never turned up.. bastards

Lucky to see - Joy Division... he died a few months after

• OMG, would have loved to have seen Joy Division. 

• Have you seen the film 'Control' Shimmy?

I saw them at a place I think was called 'Band on the Wall' in Manchester about 1980... (Might have been called something else... a lot has happened in 29 years image )

• Best gig...toss up between UB40 outdoors in Sydney, during the Thatcher years, awesome gig.

and

The Jam 3 times at Blackburn's King Georges Hall.

Worst gig..none really.

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

I think Mark E Smith is always like that! Peel used to love the Fall, couldn't really understand it myself.

I missed Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine, It was in Sheffield, I had a few drinks with mates and went to the wrong venue, probably a blessing in disguise. I still have no idea where they actually played and where we went to see them play!

• Best Gig - Dinosaur Jr at Brixton in 93

Worst - Macy Gray At Brixton 2001 (what was i thinking)

Missed - Most of the V festival last year (never, ever drink home brew your mates has made, completly knocked me out for 24 hours)

Lucky to see - Midnight Oil at the closing ceremony of the 2000 Sydney Olympics

• Marty B wrote (see)
    ...Peel used to love the Fall, couldn't really understand it myself.
    Coz' they were effin' brilliant!  image
  • Best - The Prisoners, Rotherham Town Hall (the old one) 1985

Worst - not one I paid for but I wandered into Fields Of Nephilim (?) at Keele University in about 87.   Worst I've paid to see would be - I forget their name but they were some Brit Pop band of the 90s -they were so shit that we ended up sitting on their T shirt boxes chatting instead -then the lead singer had a go at my partner for squashing the said boxes and it ended up with him pinned up against the wall for it.   It's was quite funny as some old black guy who I knew from the Derby Uni sociology course (I was teaching he was a mature student) threatened to shoot him for me.   Wish I could remember the name - they had a few hits.

edit - it was the Bluetones

• Marty B wrote (see)

I think Mark E Smith is always like that! Peel used to love the Fall, couldn't really understand it myself.

I missed Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine, It was in Sheffield, I had a few drinks with mates and went to the wrong venue, probably a blessing in disguise. I still have no idea where they actually played and where we went to see them play!

image I got them to sign seriff fat man on Vinel that night. image *starts looking smug*