Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Caz...good luck with your 10miler this weekend. The good things about half maras is that you can treat it as a LSR but with drinks provided, saves you carrying water around with you.

Kate...thanks for that about the buses. I have paid the £3 for the return bus but if i dont use it then i am not bothered about losing the money, all depends where the after party is. Shall we put you down on the list for 3.59 then.
    Doing a half mara on the 5th april is fine, you will still have about 7 weeks training to do by then and bigger LSRs.

• *looks sheepish*  I take my donut bottle with me when running a half, I only take the tiniest of sips so its more convenient to have it with me, that way when I need a sippy I can have a sippy.... Although I am working on taking onboard more liquid as I think that contributes to me flagging in the last 2 miles of a half... Gotta get used to a water belt too... My boss bought me one for my birthday, we ordered a Small as that seemed the right size by the description but its really really SMALL... Suppose on the plus side it wont move about LOL.

I've got tickets for the return bus and spectator tickets for my in-laws just in case...

Kate I'm planning on doing a half 4 weeks before and treating it as a training run... So you should be OK, just jiggle your plan about so you'd be doing a 13mile LSR that week rather than an 18 or something.

• Caz...If your happy with your bottle when running then thats fine, me personally find that carrying anything when running is an hindrance. Do you use gels on your LSRs and how much liquid would you have in relation to a half mara.
  • hi bburn plodder yeah i think our half times were about the same im anywhere around 2hr 5 to 2hr 10

my pb is 2hr 2mins 2 secs

ive got a half on sunday but its hillier than my last one, so just beating last years time will be ok with me. not sure how the extra hour in bed will effect me either image.

• Hi Angela, I thought so, I range from 2.05 to 1.59.

I was thinking of doing the Liverpool half on 28th March, other than that, nothing planned (except Wesham 10k in November.). I did Liverpool this year as my first ever half, so I'd like to do it again, it would be an interesting comparison.

I just recently got a Camel Back belt, and once I'd got used to it, it's great. Aswell as the water bottle, it's got lots of little pockets, one for phone, one for sweeties etc.

I must admit though, I only use it on runs over 10 miles (or a bit less if I'm running with a hangover on a Sunday morning).

• im doing the kilomathon in march nottingham to derby 26.2 kms so should help with the training.

looking at a few halfs but nothing planned for next year yet

• Hmmm... trying to work out an estimate for my first marathon........  hoping to be a bit fitter than a recent halfer - which was 1hr 55m....... what should I be looking at  as a reasonable pb ... double it plus a bit a bit more added on .... 4.15 ? Any suggestions.... ? Got the Wilmslow halfer at the end of March as a benchmark...

• I am rubbish at hydrating properly, in fact Mr CS is constantly nagging me about it... I've tried doing this drinking more in the days before malarky and it just seems to make me need the loo a LOT.  I have I think its the smallest donut which holds 250ml or there abouts and I'll maybe drink 75ml whilst running and then neck the rest of the bottle when I'm done swiftly followed up now by a ForGoodnessShake (they are brilliant btw).  I've not tried gels but I do like the odd jelly baby, usually have one about 7miles then another at 9 and 11.  I tried those lucozade body fuel tablets on last Saturdays run, it was only 9miles but I thought it better to try them when I've not got so far to go and I actually managed to pick it up in the last mile.

I'm doing the Scottish Kilomathon Angela, have signed Mr CS up for it too...being the lovely wife that I am. image

• i was thinking about the camel back for when my mileage goes up - i can't carry a bottle and need sweeties too.   anyone got an opinion of waist vs backpack?

yes, please put me down for 3.59 - it gives me something to aim for!  that's what i put on my application too so i should be in that 'pack' on the starting line.

thanks for the advice about the HM - think i will do that so i can get an idea of how my training is going.  although by that time it will be a bit late for anything drastic! 

• My Camel Back is a waist one, and it's really comfy. I tried on both at Sweat Shop, but I wasn't keen on the backpack one, I thought it might jig about a bit too much, and make my back sweatyimage

It's even more comfy now that I realise I was wearing it back to front for weeks image, Mr Plodder did say I looked like I was trying to be Lara Croft (I wish!!), turns out you're supposed to have the drink at the back. Whoops!

• LOL Plodder, I was wondering that about the bottle belt... Figured the bottles & pouch would be better at the back as the bottles look like they'd get in the way of my arms at the front... Dont want to be stood on the start line (OK, in the pen right at the back) with it on the wrong way. image
  • It was at the GNR when I realised image, not too many people to witness my embarrassment then !!!!

• LOL Nah hardly anyone... Not like it was on the tele or anything... image
  • Funny you should say that. when i watched the GNR on TV i saw someone with a camel back on, back to front and thought "No way". I am sure Crammy and Brendan Foster also commented on the same issue.image
  • 2.30hrs
    R-Dave - 2.50

3.00hrs

3.30hrs
    Beavis - 3.45
    Gold Pig - 3.59
    RunningKate - 3.59

4.00hrs
    DeeDee24 - 4.15

4.30hrs
    Angela Gill2 - 4.31
    Bburn Plodder - 4.31 

5.00hrs
    CazSoul

• Fame at last!!!

It would probably be the only time I'd ever get on the tele for running

• Nothing like a big running faux pas to get people posting eh? Never mind bburn plodder It's better when people don't conform to the rules!!!!

Caz Soul I'm a big fan of gels but found it's a trial and error thing. I can't follow the recommended use of them without feeling ill and I suspect they recommend you shovel them down to sell more. I usually have one around 11 miles and again around 20 miles or just one at around 7-8 miles in a HM. Some are very sickly (Lucozade) but I prefer the SIS blackcurrant flavour (tropical tastes a bit manky). It's fairly easy to get down.

Big fan of Jelly babies too and was devasted when they all fell out of my pocket at mile 6 in Berlin.

On the after run shakes I love choco FGS. Even better if you get it in the freezer before a long run and have it as a thick shake or almost ice cream by the time you are done. A great reward after a long run!

• i gonna try some gels out on some LSR

only tasted a bit of a lucozade one and was mank image

will look at the others image

• Angela...the lucozade ones, you need to take water with as they are a lot more thicker. Try the SiS ones as R- dave mentioned, a lot nicer and no water necessary. 
  • cheers will give them a try and let you know how it goesimage
  • It will be a case of trial and error, what suits one doesnt suit another. Nows the time to find out what suits you best and can fit into place come race day, that goes with everything.
  • I need to try some gels too.

So far, I have had jelly babies or tootie fruities in 2 half mara's I've done, but interestingly, only water in my pb. I've tried Gatorade on a couple of LSR's recently, literally a couple though (I've used one pack of 4 bottles in several months!).

SIS headoffice is based in the village where I live. I'm told that you can buy products over the counter at reception - I may just amble on down there and investigate......... Maybe they'll be cheaper  than "tinternet"image

People seem to be saying they are less sickly sweet which would probably suit me better.

I guess once you get over half mara distance you need stuff like this ????

• i can get round my half with just water with no probs but like you say i think we will start needing stuff on the longer runs

• TownerTowner ✭✭✭
    morning all, i've entered Edinburgh on the back of a VLM rejection, i've done plenty of halfs but this is my first full marathon, hoping you lot will be around for a bit of advice, if i get a bit scared! (sorry for butting inimage)
  • you're not butting in, the more the merrier i say. this will be my first full marathon too and like you most of us are VLM rejects as well image

once again WELCOME TOWNER image

• Welcome along to the VLM rejection club towner.

Can't promise much help here but we'll see what we can do. Now then, just jump up on to the couch and close your eyes.

Trust me I'm a doctor!

• Thats what Harold Shipman saidimage
  • some good advice re gels and water.  I don't usually carry anythihng with me but have only managed 10 miles on my own.  During half marathons there are enough water facilities.  I tried teh SIS gel and although struggled opening it and then got covered in the sticky stuff it was OK and helped (maybe all in the mind).  NOt tried jelly babies but hey any excuse to eat sweets is fine by me.  I have been thinking about a camel back as I am aware it will be difficult upping the miles.

First marathon so not sure on time but like Caz hoping to be around 5 hours

• 2.30hrs
    R-Dave - 2.50

3.00hrs

3.30hrs
    Beavis - 3.45
    Gold Pig - 3.59
    RunningKate - 3.59

4.00hrs
    DeeDee24 - 4.15

4.30hrs
    Angela Gill2 - 4.31