Amsterdam Mary & Half 17th Oct 2010

A few of us from another thread are planning to meet at Amsterdam marathon 2010.

Taking partners running and non running, forumites and non-forumites....

Some of us plan to do the full, some the half, some the 7.5k and others just as an excuse to go to Amsterdam!

Full:

Tiggers Bouncing

Half:

7.5K:

Comments

• well you know I am up for it Tiggsimageimage 

Full:

Tiggers Bouncing

The Hoose-Goer

Half:

7.5K:

• This makes it more real! LOL
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Full:

• Tiggers Bouncing
    • The Hoose-Goer
    • Higs

Half:

7.5K:

perhaps...

I last ran a mara in 2004 (London) and vowed I wouldn't run London again 'til I could do it just for fun. I seem to have accidentally got a place in VLM 2010 which I will defer to 2011. This means I must beat 3:59:59 somewhere beforehand. So... I'm looking for a fast, flat, uncrowded mara in Autumn 2010. As Mrs Higs is Dutch, the Amsterdam one is top contender but I'm also thinking about Dublin and the new Mersey one.

It's also not at all clear that I'll be able to get back up to running a marathon. Since my last one I've been mainly mountain biking with my running plagued by numerous injuries, including serious achilles problems. I put this down to not running enough but then, when I did run, running as if I was still a regular runner. So I might not have run for weeks but then nip out for a quick 8-miler and then wonder why I got injured. image  Things came to a head when I was told that I had two choice: an achilles operation or stop running. As I could still ride mountain and road bikes with no achilles problems I opted to stop running. But then I got the VLM place and have since started running again following a very gradual beginners programme, ramping up the distances really, really slowly while (I think importantly for me) making sure I keep running regularly. So far, so good. I'm now up to a massive 6 miles and will be racing for the first time in years in a couple of weekends time (Langley7). I was never quick but I'll be happy just to finish that one and don't care if I come last.

Apologies for the life story if all I was meant to do was put my name on the list - I blame the espresso!

• Welcome Higs!

I have never run a marathon, this will be one and only! (Have had 6 london rejections)

My aim would be to finish in hopefully one piece. I have suffered various injuries too, Achilles Tendonitis, Plantas Fascitis, IT band, so I am hoping too that I will remain injury free. This is also the reason for starting the thread, hoping to keep us all motivated with a long build up to the longer runs and ultimately the marathon.

I was supposed to run the half in Amsterdam last year, we still went and had a fantastic time, but was green with envy at those that were running! LOL

We have booked an apartment that we are sharing with Marathong and her hubby, as soon as flights are available will book them. We will fly out on the 15th and return 21st.

I think that entries open in Feb......image

Full:

• Tiggers Bouncing
    • The Hoose-Goer
    • Higs
    • Marathong

Half:

• Mr Tiggers

7.5K:

• Hi Higs

Gawd you have had yer fair share of injuury (you too Tiggs). I am injury free , my only bugbare being Mild/Mod COPD (own fault). I reckon' a good flat un would be the best comebackimage

Tiggs will try to get tother 1/2 to do 7.5Kimage 

Full:

• Tiggers Bouncing
    • The Hoose-Goer
    • Higs
    • Marathong

Half:

• Mr Tiggers

7.5K:

• Is that just to make sure she wants to go? image

Maybe we should add a supporters list too?

• mmm - she said no today but give me timeimage
  • Hi all, Im running Paris in April but this is another that is on my list to do, so hopefully may join you, does anyone know how much is was to get in this year.  May persuade hubby to do half if we go
  • Hi HG, the more the merrier!

This year entry for the full was €55, which included a Mizuno technical T Shirt. 

• Next year is the 35th year.
  • LOL You have nearly a year Hoose!
  • mmm - think it is coz we organised a walk in Whitby early  this year and her feet were bad for ages afterwards. A year could do it thoughimage

yo HG  - be nice to have youimage

• Full:

• Tiggers Bouncing
    • The Hoose-Goer
    • Higs
    • Marathong
    • Hornet Girl (tbc)

Half:

• Mr Tiggers
    • Mr Hornet Girl (tbc)

7.5K:

Supporters:

• well on day 2 of hooses 48 week mara schedule and kit is on. Just gotta get through t'door. 

Full:

• Tiggers Bouncing
    • The Hoose-Goer
    • Higs
    • Marathong
    • Hornet Girl (tbc)

Half:

• Mr Tiggers
    • Mr Hornet Girl (tbc)

7.5K:

Supporters:

• Get out the door NOW! LOL

I just have the small obstacle of work first......image

• bin Tiggsimage

when are you goin'?

• Tonight, joining in with an ex wrn group at Penzance, hopefully the weather will be rough by then 'cos we get to run by the sea!! image

Off to work.... laterrrrs!

• Live in AMS anyway so will probably join.  Have run the last two years.  Is pretty fast and flat, just a little congestion in places.  Higs - There's also Rotterdam in April?  Too soon?  Good luck in Langley!  I miss that one.  There's also the Xmas pud run...
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    H. wrote (see)
    Higs - There's also Rotterdam in April?  Too soon?  Good luck in Langley!  I miss that one.  There's also the Xmas pud run...

Looking forward to Langley - I think it will be my first competitive run since FLM 2004

Rotterdam is (a) too soon and (b) not a race I want to do again. It was my first marathon (99, I think) and the course disappeared into some deeply uninteresting parts of Rotterdam. The experience wasn't helped by having spent the night before on an air bed that went down every half hour. image

• welcome to mad mara doers Himage

Air bed Higgs ? -dont say you weere blowing it up every 1/2  hourimage

• Just done my second Amsters marathon this year and should be back next year, but there was some  talk of the Nice to Cannes as well, but not sure when that one is
  • Evening all.

H, I came to Amsterdam last year, supposed to do the 1/2 but had to pull out because of injury. We shouted and cheered Trinity on in the Vondelpark and a few runners that I knew from here in Cornwall. I was disappointed not to run the half, since then Marathong has persuaded me to run the full next year as she is travelling from Jacksonville I felt it was the least I should do!  (she is a "serial marathoner") We have already rented an apartment in Rembrandt Square, will enter the race as soon as entries open....  image

Then just the minor detail of training..... image

Higs, those airbeds are a total nightmare, does anyone EVER get a good nights sleep on one? LOL

• yo all dammersimage

only gotta nother 47 weeks and 4 days of my 48 week schedule left to doimage

we are all for one musketeer and hope you are one for us allimage

• Morning all.

Hoose that will be  47 weeks 3 days then....

All those experienced marathoners out there, how many long runs 16+ miles do you do before a marathon?

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Morning all.

It's so long since my last mara that I can't give a definitive answer but (from memory) probably about 10ish runs of 16+ of which 3 will be 20+

The last weeks before the taper looked something like 16, 17, 18, 14, 17, 18, 19, 15, 18, 19, 20, 15, 20, 22, taper....

• yo -will now Tiggsimage

Rest day today( gotta have 2 in a week)

Blimey higs-  those distances look a bit frightening to me. I am still counting in minutes at the mo-lol

• just looked at the Nice - Cannes website. This year it is on 7/8th November so is too close to Amsterdam. It is also point to point (hence the name) and that makes 42.195km seem a LONG way
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    The Hoose-Goer wrote (see)

Blimey higs-  those distances look a bit frightening to me. I am still counting in minutes at the mo-lol

They are a bit frightening seen from this far away but we've got plenty of time to build up to them - your first 15 doesn't seem too frightening when you've done a couple of 14s and a few half marathons. The first 20 is a milestone but isn't too daunting when you've got a couple of 18s and a couple of 19s under your belt.

What is frigthening looking at those distance laid out like that is working out that the 'serious distance' phase of the training will spread over something like four months. That's four months when I will have to plan every week so I am fit and free to do a long run on Saturday/Sunday  morning to the exclusion of family, work, social and other commitments.