Scottish Runners

Comments

• I know what you mean Tom. I don't see how they can prove any of their current statistical information given that they stopped testing people long ago! So how can they say it's swine flu, regular flu or something viral? Hope your grandson is okay now. image
  • bedshaped, he is okay now, he did have the fever and was sent home from school. My wife took him to the  doctor who diagnosed  his symptoms as swine flu.  Because of the way it is being handled  all of us are skeptical and not so sure about taking the vacine. I haven't over the past few years been taking  the regular flu shots they give. Some front line people don't want the vacine too.

• Hi,

I am here to at 2am..am fae Edinburgh, born and bred, doing the 10k in Strathclyde Park this Sunday, went on a new run today, through Princes street Gardens, around Edinburgh Castle,down the high street and all the back to my start point, it was brillant, really enjoyed running amongst the tourists and my home town, I felt right at home, AND very motivated, thought I was on a centre MARATHON!!!

I will try the scottish website to, am looking for a race in Wales 2010, a 10k,any ideas would be grateful.

Paulinex

• A'noon.

Poly; Glad to have you on here. Used to love running in central  Edinburgh when staying at my aunts when younger.

Really enjoying 'Born to Run'. It's more thought provoking re diet and shoes than I thought It'd be !

Somebody local has their Christmas lights up already ?!

• Hello All

Good luck for Miss B next week and anyone racing at the weekend. Jedburgh this wkend I believe, and a few others going on.

Probably no running for me this wkend as I have a parental visitation! Last time they came I fitted in a 10k race while they were still in their camper van watching the tv on Sunday morning! Lazy buggers! Mother phoned me yesterday to complain that they were on a campsite in Moffat and the tv had no reception, had to break it to her that we have already gone digital up here so that'll be no tv for her this wkend image. Shock horror I might even be able to prize them out their van to go for a WALK imageimage.

Hi Polly, now if the 'real' Edinburgh marathon followed the course you ran, even I might be tempted to do it imageimage. Running past that power station in East Lothian somehow has no appeal to me imageimage.

• Birkmyre, sorry, missed the bit about Miss B taking part in her first "proper" race. Hope she gets on well with it and enjoys the experience.  Um, Christmas lights??? Oh heck image

Welcome Poly and good luck for the 10k image Used to run around Polwarth, Craiglockhart, Colinton many moons ago but am not on the other side of the bridge image

lol Tigerspaw. You mean the East Lothian marathon image  They really ought to have a "proper" Edinburgh marathon. So much you could take in and wouldn't it be a brilliant finish at Murrayfield Stadium?? image  Have fun with your parental visitation and drag them out, the country is stunning at the moment (but don't tell them the weather's gonna be lousy.....)

Cross country race for me tomorrow. I love the terrain but I hate racing in it image And last night I pulled my calf trying to run too fast up a big hill lots of time during our parluuf session image

• Another great session with my running club last night.  Think i may start going on a tuesday as well.  Only did 4 miles but its great to be getting out.  End of my October week image  8 weeks till my next holiday.
  • ok sorting out my race schedule for the next few months.  Any one know of any races on the 7th/8th November?
  • birkmeyer,  also enjoying born to run. Ran across it in the book store , went back and bought it after you mentioned it. I am glad I did..  Enjoying reading about Zapotek.

• Tinto hill race Kirsty 7th November image
  • LOL Good One Bedshaped imageimageimageimage. Enjoy your x-country today.

Not many road races left Kirsty, it would seem, unless you're willing to travel miles to do them. I have a limit on how far I'll travel for say a 10K.

• Yeah LOL indeed.  Noticed there isn't so many races now.  Got one sorted for the end of november and start of December.
  • Hi guys,

messed up with very little running this week again image

I had a rough idea of which events I fancied for next year but today I got an email from 'nofuss events' in fort william, damn them coz they have introduced some new events for 2010 that look fab !!

points of interest:
    Jaggy - might want to look at a new 70.3 road course image

KD - new offroad half marathon around the grey corries image

plus the usual wee tri-big tri - river race- 10 hour mtb events etc etc !!

Darn it..... need to earn lots of brownie points over the winter !!   lol

no fuss events web site

• image Oooh some of those events look like FUN imageimage......I really must learn to swim properly imageimage.

Which run you doing in December Kirsty? if you dont mind me asking? I've been hard pushed trying to find stuff thats not full already.

Deffos for xmas / new year for me will be the Ayr turkey trot (once someone else enters, i aint gonna be first imageimage) and the Nigel Barge, which I think is on 9th Jan next year image.

• Hey Im going to go for the St Andrews hospice 6k on the 29th nov at strathclyde park and teh Jogscotland 5k on the 6th december also at strathclyde park.  Just need to get my butt into gear and apply but checked before and there were places left. 

Saw the Nigel Barge race and going to go for it too.

The Ayr Turkey trot - whereabouts in ayr is it and how far?  Will be at my parents for Christmas this year down there and may want a wee escape!

• Man I really suck at cross country image  Carrying the remnants of a cold, a pulled calf and a dodgy glute probably doesn't help however!  Don't get me wrong, I love running off-road in mud and stuff but racing it is a different kettle of fish altogether!!

Sooooooo, I'm either going to work at improving or give up altogether!!

Hope everyone else has had a better day!!!

• Hey I didn't get out running today either.  Don't be down on yourself  - your a great runner - just remember we do this cause we love it!
  • Thanks Kirsty - good days bad days huh? image
  • They all run into one - get a good sleep and hopefully tomorrow will be a drier day and you can get out again.  Blowing a gale just now - horrible outside.

I will go out for a run tomorrow

I will go out for a run tomorrow

I will go out for a run tomorrow...

• Hi Guys, I have had a bad week. I missed a mid-week session, which was pused from Wed to Turs due to one of the baby FFBs activities, then missed it on Thurs as I had a disaster of a day adn ended up with no lunch image I had the wrost possible run yesterday afternoon, but should have realised that it would not be a good one after a mega yoga session in the morning which got cut slightly short cos my body got really tired and refused to do the last 3 postures. My left side is tight from shoulder to knee. I am becoming more and more convinced that I picked up a small injury at Loch Ness.

So, I will nto train today and will do some focussed stretching and yoga to see how things settle down, then I think it is a visit to the sports injury clinic.

The Ayr Turkey trot is run along the sea front and is an out and back and very flat. Depending on the wind and your christmas day indulgence levels it has the potential for a PB. I have never doen it but know someone who has. It is a really friendly event that is generally not taken that seriously (although the person I know who did it is a bit strange and ran it very competitively and got a PB,. She must have had a miserable christmas day imageimage)

• FFB-hope things loosen up for you soon.

I did a 10 miler yesterday, which was my first long run since Loch Ness. I averaged 3 seconds a mile faster than my Loch Ness pace, and I felt very dubious about my endurance. Don't suppose it helped that I went down with a lurgy a week after Loch Ness.

I'm doing Templeton Woods next Sunday. Hope I'm running a bit better by then!

• Kirsty-weather's picking up today. If you scrunch your eyes up you could almost say it was nice....enjoy your run image.
  • ITs still raining here in Glasgow.  The wind was really howling last night.

Anyone done Edinburgh marathon and stayed in a hotel - any suggestions?

Just watched the Great south run - go Mo!

• I'm still struggling to get going again after LN- slightly niggly sole of foot on right- reacted badly to last weekend's 10k run, so very little running since, sitting rolling foot on wine cork!

Ayr turkey trot is a good wee race- done it twice now- once in lashing head winds- came home covered in sea salt!!!- certainly blows away the christmas cobwebs!

• Kirsty - like everyone says above Ayr run is 10k along the seafront footpath, take a look at Ayrodynamic club website for details (they are a triathlon club), and you can enter via Entry Central website image (please...then I'll be 2nd, not first image). Starts down at the harbour end of town, out and back, changing at the sport centre (the Citadel? I think its called).

Well Done on the x-c Bedshaped image. I like a nice bimble out in the mud too, but the thought of racing it image.

No running this wkend as I suspected, been out to Balloch today and attempted to take parents for walk but it was horrendously wet, so eventually had to agree to a pub lunch image. Not my usual idea of a Sundays activities, but they enjoyed the excuse to stay in imageimage.

Hope the niggles clear up FFB and Tricia.

Next weeks goal, get back up to 10m, still at 8.5m at moment. Touch wood, managed to avoid colds and post mara lurgies so far.

• hey guys.... did anyone else do the STrathclyde Park 10k today for Cancer Research?? Pity the weather was dismal but it was still a good wee run!! No PB's today as I'm still recovering from a heavy cold... that coupled with the weather and my virtually non existent training this week (due to that dam cold)... but I was only 2:44 outside it so relatively pleased!! I WILL get under 50 mins at my next 10k!!! image

Hope everyone is well!!

• tO TRI CHICK

I am just home from doing the 10k at Strathclyde Park today..it was brillant..I was 3 mins over the hour,so I WILL also try and get under the minute my next 10k

Well done..

• Temperature in Louisiana perfect for running in the morning. 12 degrees above freezepoint.  Ran a 5k in 24.16, about a 7.50 pace. Still working on the Pose method. Trying not  to lean over as much and  try to take smaller steps and keep head up and back straight. Born to run touches on some good topics for you Ultra Runners. Also mentions diet, pacing and other incidentals critical for the long  run. Hope all of you having a nice weekend. Did LSR , up to 12.54 miles for my Sunday  run.  Kreeping towards 60 mile weeks.
  • I also did the 10k at Strathclyde Park this is my 1st race for a good few years (and stones image) .  The weather was pretty rubbish at the beginning but it picked up and it was a reasonable race.  My time was really not great at 1.07 but i was pleased enough at doing it under 1.10 (lofty aims i knowimage).  I started back running 10 weeks ago so im quite chuffed that i can run more than a few metres without a asthma/heart attack!
  • yay!!! well done silvachick (a fellow "chick" lol!) and poly!!

yeah the weather was pretty crap, I also went the wrong way at one point lol and followed the marshalls as opposed to the runners - major sprint to catch myself up!! I also got a major stitch (due to this weeks lack of training???) at around 5k which slowed me down a bit but luckily it passed quickly.... with all that, the weather, lack of training and feeling pretty mince, Im pleased with 55:29!!! image

Well done everybody!!! A few more people will hopefully survive cancer and/or have better support for our efforts!!!