Beachy Head 2009

Comments

• Having been really upset about being injured out of this i woke this morning with a stinking cough/cold/fever and given the hideous weather I'm glad I've been in the warm and dry all day
  • that were a good laugh, thought the conditions were quite fun meself
  • I can't see how anyone could go wrong on that course, it was very well marshalled and signed. The only part that was dodgy was on Beachy itself in the cloud, visability was down to about 30 metres when I got there. But there was still the road to guide you in the right direction.
  • some people may be too used to road races
  • This was my first ever Marathon....flippin eke it was wet , windy and sticky slippery mud...
    Thanks to all those wonderful marshalls who had to stand there in the worst weather...
    Also thanks to the people i chatted with while climbing some of those hills at the end...
    will be back next year for sure.
  • it was awful

I was terrified on the downhills and that REALLY slowed me down

erm, ok

when do entries open for next year?

• Sorry to hear about the DNFs.  And to miss a hug fromPlum at the end - then again I was so slow you were likely homeby the time I finished!

Have to say that was one of the most miserable fecking experiences ever.  After a lot of 'shall I shan't I' I made alast minute decision to give it a go.  Decided that discretion was the better part of valour though and to take the pressure off my knee by walking it (mostly).  Set off into the clag at 8.14.  Have to say  it was pretty spooky up there on my own and was really glad when the runners started coming through.  Good to see so many friendly faces as they steamed past me and to see FB and Petal.

I admit there were many points when I swore I'd never put another pair of runningshoes on again and certainly would never do another marathon.  Sure I'll forget that soon tho!!

Eventually staggered home in around 7.16.  Some 3 hrs off pb pace and my slowest time - barring Moonwalk.  Plus points - knee reasonably ok and I did what I had to do to  get round.  Today was about beating the mental demons as much as anything else.

*apols for dodgy typing - netbook is even slower and more temperamental than I am!*

• Mist,mud,rain & pain..with a biggy of a PW.........But f!ck it,,,there is always next year!!!

• true

are entries open yet!

• Major sense of humour failure to be woken up at 3am by the film crew setting up. All the scooters are arriving now.  Bloody noisy b*ggers
  • Terrible conditions but I can see how ,if you hadn't run it before some may have taken wrong turns- it was so misty up on the sisters that a direction arrow could be missed. Great day out though and the support and checkpoints make this a defo for me every year. Lots of concentration needed through Friston forest area and am sure easy to come a cropper!  But all this is part of trail running! Great fun!
  • Hi - teamed up with Miserable Bleeder (thanks for the companyimage) we slipped and slithered the course and managed to finish in time.  Couldn't find pubimage, so caught early train home.  Marshals as always brilliant.  Until next year!  Now just have to repat same performance 3 days in a row for The Ridgeway Druid Challenge in 2 weeks timeimage.
  • I also succeeded in adding a couple of minutes to my personal worst.   I feel sure that this had something to do with struggling to run down some of the hills because of the wind.   I've made up my mind to do something a bit easier next year - the Snowdonia marathon!
  • Well that was wet and windy fun.  Mr Shimms and I were flying until we hit the cliffs and the wind.  It was so strong and I kept on being blown all over the place.  We were glad that it was behind us by the time we hit Beachy head.  Mr Shimms back and neck was fine but his ankle started to feel the terrain and began to hurt.

Thanks to all the marshalls, not nice conditions to marshall in.

Hope all the aches are starting to subside.

• Any word on Debbo and Bryan the Snail?
  • kaz - you should know by now to ask for the cheap rooms at the back of the hotels - a sea view is not required when what you want is peace and quiet to sleep
    2 years ago i was kept awake by the yoofs of eastbourne out on the green in front of the hotel shouting and messing about till - gone midnight!! oh yes, as late as that!!
  • How did Phil do?   Did he get is 3.10?
  • Fifer, Bryan opted out as his back was playing him up. Debbo had an excellent run doing  about 5:30 with a rucksack as she was doing it as a training run for the Beacons ultra.

So has anyone done this and the Grizzly, how do the times compare?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Morning all!  Race report for Shimmy... image

Heard a lot about DNF's, people getting lost and various injuries, and that was just loitering around the finish line.  Sympathies to all those who were adversely affected.  Good efforts all round just heading off on that first hill I reckon.

Myself, I had a bit of a stormer. (Pardon the pun!) Did my best to take it easy on the first hill (Haha! Easy!) but the first few miles were a struggle.  Couldn't even take real advantage of the downhills because they were so treacherous - especially in my road shoes.  I was in 7th place at around 5/6 miles but with a small group ahead. Some more steady running and I was swapping 3rd/4th with a guy who was a lot more courageous than me going down, but slowing down on the ups (especially on the hill at 10 miles - oof!)  I ran in 3rd place on my own from halfway, all the way back to the downs.  Jeez, these beeyatches are STEEP! BUT I keep running. The only times I walked throughout the whole race was at water stations, and up the first flight of steps (too big and irregular to keep a running action going.)  I see a guy walking up the next hill, but it's clearly not just another walker because towards the top he starts running again - that's 2nd place!  Some more slow but steady running and I caught him up just after the 22.5 (?) checkpoint.  Then there's some welcome flat before a final incline (still running!), and I cruise in with a 6:22 last mile, just about managing to stay on my feet on the final 30 degree grassy mudslide!

Time:  3:09.  image  Millsy's run another blinder, finishing 6 mins ahead of me, but I'm absolutely chuffed to run inside my target in those conditions.  In fact, one of my targets was a top 3 finish, regardless of time, so finishing behind the now 6 times winner, I'll definitely take that.  He can't keep winning forever though - maybe I should come back for a rematch.  image

Final word to the organisers, marshalls, scouts, etc.  Never mind just being out there in that weather, the support and help all the way round were absolutely top-notch. Many, many thanks.

Cracking race!

• lurker. wrote (see)
    kaz - you should know by now to ask for the cheap rooms at the back of the hotels - a sea view is not required when what you want is peace and quiet to sleep
    2 years ago i was kept awake by the yoofs of eastbourne out on the green in front of the hotel shouting and messing about till - gone midnight!! oh yes, as late as that!!
    No diff in prices but back room (overlooking the very odd garden in the hotel behind) would have been better.  So would not being in the attic room!  Still it was nice to be in a huge family room and having more space than I knew what to do with!!
  • Well done to all of you that finished and for those of you that did not i hope that all is ok with you all today. I was hoping to come along and support but a family day out had been organised and with marathon and IM duties to fullfil in 2010 i had no choice. Friends said that there was a fair size pirate possie out so well done to you allimage

Kaz- could you not of stayed in the camperimage

• Ultra Kazzaaaggh!! sorry getting mixed up withUltraCas, duh!!!! pain in the arse when you have noisy locals pissing you off, we have loads where we live little Bisssttaarrdssimage
  • No campering for me - I get to stay in my own bed for Beachy image

Just been out for a nice bimble on the bike to stretch my legs out

• Blimey, well done Phil imageimageimageimageimageimage

Fantstic running and well done on running up those cliffs.  I dont know how you do it.

Saw loads of pirates yesterday, big pirate day out.

• Well done PhilPub, awesome run!

Well I managed to go sub 5 for the first time, only by a couple of minutes but thats all I wanted. Am pleased to have done it in those conditions, and I had the most fun last mile ever, after coming out of the mist to realise I could do it but only if I got a move on.......great fun down that last hill image

I ran more this year but was probablt slower in places as road shoes were not much good in the mud, I was very cold on the downs but I guess that spurs you on.

Anyway, must say massive thanks to marshalls who endured that weather for us, specially B, FB and Petal image and to all in the pub last night, it was great!

• Well a PW by over an hour and a half!!! But what a fantastic day.  We stayed with the slowest member of our team who was also a virgin to marathons!  Young Harry (12 years old) kept us entertained with his singing and mine of useless information all the way.  The sun came out as we hit the bitches and we had the wind behind us then too (just to give you an idea of just how long we were out)

Still a brilliant day - nice to see so many peeps as they passed us - Kaz, Mum2Ten, Sir CdC etc

See you all next year!

• Well done everyone who got round - sounds like that was enough of a challenge - and those who got decent times as well should be massively pleased. Top efforts from Phil and AJH.
  • Had a fab time, weather was pants, marshalls were fantastic!

6.04 for me and the rodent one,  many thanks for her company over the last 6 miles or so,  and to Chav and Barlos for playing cat & mouse for the most part

My 5th and best Beachy so far ...... sub 6 next year then   image
  • it was briiliant wasnt it

I will post a link to pics later

Even got home ok without any driving incidents

legs like tenderised meat though

well done all