pc maps

Has anyone got an opinion on what map system is good to use on a pc. I presently use trailguage which is a free download for the bacic system and allows for all my runs over the mountains to be measured accurately - the registered version ($19) even works out height gains etc. The only downside is that you need to scan the map in question beforehand and therefore if you run in a lot of different areas it takes a lot of time and uses up a lot of the computers memory. Does anyone know about the Anquet maps (£32.99) or the Memory Map discovery range (£39.99). What will these programmes do?

Comments

• How do Martin.

Havent got a clue what you're talking about but nice to see you back on the Forum.
    :-)
  • lol - hi chimp......
    I will try again - when I go wobbling over the mountains I like to know how far I have been. There are various programmes available that you can plot the route you have been on and hey presto it tells you how far you have been - more often than not it tells you that you have been no where near as far as you thought. Trailguage is a free download off the internet but relies on scanned maps - I think the other programmes refered to above already have the maps loaded and therefore (I think) would not be such a burden on the computers memory.
    Now I have typed all this - I dont think I have made myself any clearer.
    Cheers
  • I like the Tracklogs software - I got a free map of my local area when I bought a GPS unit from them. http://www.tracklogs.co.uk
  • I use anquet and find it very good. As I live and train within the Breacon Beacons National Park it cost me £35 for the Wales edition, which covers all the Welsh National Parks. They do versions that cover the other National Parks for the same price. If you live outside these areas their options are a lot more expensive. You would have to buy either South Britain, or North Britain at £120 each. Also you are at present limited to OS 1:50,000 maps but they will use 1:25,000 OS maps when the OS make these maps available digitally (release date as yet unkown). You can print off any area you want. It calculates distance, total ascent, etc. as well as providing route profile, route description with compass bearings from one waypoint to the next. Can interface with GPS to upload routes.
  • Thank you both for your comments.
    I live right on the edge of the Beacon National Park and whilst most of my running comes within the park, I also tend to go running up on the radnor hills as well - which is outside. You have confirmed what I thought about the anquet mapping.
    I had never heard of tracklog - but have now been on there site and Region 4 covers practically everywhere I wobble - including the Wye Valley Walk through Hereford and down to Ross and Chepstow - which I use a lot for long runs. Just ordered it so hopefully it will satisfy my computer geekish moods. Thanks
    Martin
    I now look forward to the disappointment of finding out that the 25 mile run I do quite frequently is only something like 15 miles.
  • Watcha ML. I always assumed you were in the Nat Park but just checked OS and you're outside by about 100m. Just shows how wrong I can be (again!). Would love to see that software when you've got it up and running.
  • The Wales Anquet map does cover the forest of dean area as well, for some reason
  • Hi Slowpoke - once I have got the software I will let you know and I believe I will be able to prove to you that I am in fact a lot closer the NP than you think - by my estimations I think it is no more than 58 metres. I also anticipate an elevation drop of about 4-5 metres - with an anticiapted time for completion of the trail to be around 8-10 seconds (on a good day and ignoring the barbed wire fence and numerous sheep droppings).
  • What you need is a good watch to measure that elevation drop.