First dark run of the season

Did my first proper dark run of the season last run, god I found it proper depressing.

After a solid load of months of running  in the sunlight, I forget just how oppresive running in the dark can be.

Did 6 miles last night in the pitch black, no streetlights, country roads, headtorch and hi-vis on, but you just can't rid that feeling of the blackness enveloping you as you run through the countryside.

Cars with their highbeams on flying past you, leaving an inch of clearance also makes you feel real vunerable.

How do others find it?, I was even toying with the idea of hitting the dreadmill, now THATS bad!!!!.

Comments

• GertieGertie ✭✭✭

I'm lucky.  I live near the sea with a nice, well lit, car free 7 mile prom to run along.

Running along listening to the waves break is quite relaxing.

• dark runs can be a bit depressing.  When I ran in the evening near christmas, seeing all the lights in windows used to cheer me upimage
  • I am trying to think of areas locally where I can go, I wonder if they'd let me run around Snetterton race track........
  • I know that feeling well.

I wear every piece of hi viz clothing known to man & spend my dark plods living in fear of being ploughed down by a farmer not paying attention to anything on the road in a bloody huge tractor.

I've considered driving to the local town so that I can at least have the benefit of street lighting.

My 1st plod of the winter season will be this evening.image

• I do most of my running first thing in the morning.

This means I've been running in the dark for the past few weeks, but this week (courtesy of the clocks going back) it's light again!

I find I get used to the change from running in light to dark and vice versa quite quickly.  I wasn't too keen when I started having to run in the dark again a few weeks ago, but then I remembered last spring when the days started getting longer I didn't like having to run in daylight again.  After a few days though the light/darkness just starts to feel normal.

• Funny you should mention tractors, they are harvesting something atm (beet maybe?), and there was the mother of all tractors, which would be fine, if it didn't have the mother of all trailers on the back, with no outrigger lights on it, it required a quick sidestep onto the grass verge to avoid it!!!.

I wonder whats the law on running down the airstrips of abandoned RAF and USAF airbases?!

I was toying with the idea of trying to change my work hours so I could fit my runs in the morning......

• sorry, I love running in the dark...I went out on Monday under a half moon and clear sky for an hour and it was fantastic.  When you can only see the road ahead you get really quite focussed.  In December and January under a full moon in the frost, 8-10 miles on a midweek night is great for me.

At this time of year you do indeed have to watch out for the combine harvesters, but you can see them coming a mile away.

• There are a few abandoned airstrips etc fairly close to me,one of which is open to the public,have considered it previously but just thought it may a bit repetitive & even less inspiring than a dark country lane.

• I do most of my running in a town so it's always well-lit, which is good because it was already getting dark when I headed out at 4.30 yesterday afternoon! Luckily I remembered my hi-vis jacket.

I quite like running at this time of year. I too find it comforting to see the lights in people's windows as I run past, and it makes getting wrapped up with a cup of tea when I get home that much nicer when it's dark and chilly outside image

• It will get better, its just a bit of a shock to the system ATM!!!!.

Also, I guess I feel a bit of a twat in my hi-vis gear and headtorch!!!

• danowat wrote (see)

It will get better, its just a bit of a shock to the system ATM!!!!.

Also, I guess I feel a bit of a twat in my hi-vis gear and headtorch!!!

I'm sure I'd probably find running in the dark as depressing as you do if it was truly dark! As much as I'd love to live in a more rural area, I'm glad of the busy, well-lit streets when the evenings start drawing in.

• I agreee with Danowat - not a fan of training in the dark. i'm lucky to have a promenade to train along that is partically lit, but it's full of nasty surprises you can't always see (mess, puddles, beer bottles, etc)

The only advantage to running in the dark is people don't have to see my wobbly bits when I run!

The other problem this time of year is the leaves covering drains / holes / kerbs. Nearly stacked it a few times running last week around local estate.

• I'm finding it harder now that it's darker (and colder) - feels like the next few months will be perseverence more than enjoyment  - it's like I have running SADs
  • Had my 1st run out for a few months this morning, Ok so it was stop start but thats cause the fizz has me doing set exercises but the feeling of going out at 5.30am was great. Looking forward to getting over this injury and settling down to some decent mileage - It's definitely the best time of the day to run IMO.
  • I flipping hate running in the dark. Get up in the morning - dark. Go out running - dark.
    Get back home - dark. Go out running - dark. Together with the cold, damp and when you running, you cannot see whats infront of you just in case your foot lands on one of those metal rings that are attached to car wheels which you then trip and get a bloody injury. Bloody drivers!!!!! image
  • I'm afraid I love running in the dark too, it seems so much faster as night envelops me with its inky blackness.
  • ShinyShiny ✭✭✭
    This is when I'm grateful I work shifts and can get out in the daylight most days anyway.  Having said that I went for a quick one just as the light was going yesterday and discovered that my new Adizero Tempos are so unbelievably neon that they virtually glow in the dark.  Nice!
  • I'm another in the minority that enjoys running in the dark - agree with Greenicing that it seems faster - maybe it is - perhaps I run faster because it's scary. I don't even bother with a headtorch - once you get your night vision, you can usually see perfectly well. The only things I don't really like are that I don't venture off road in the dark, and getting dazzled by car headlights.

Actually I just really enjoy running in different seasons - dark, crisp cold, warm, sunny, even driving wind and rain. Getting out in all conditions has made me really appreciate the changing seasons. The only conditions I don't really enjoy are baking hot, humid days.

• Last night I was supposed do a nice easy run, nice low heart rate, that went out the window pretty quickly, I just wanted to get home!!!!

I am fine with the cold, wet, heat, sun whatever, I just find the dark so damn oppresive.

• Fed up because all week Ive wanted to get up early and go for a run before hubby goes to work (kids in bed) all week Ive been intimidated by going out. It feels really creepy we live way out in the sticks no street lights. It hasnt bothered me all summer so why now?

After reading the positives I'm going to give it a go in the morning

• I love running in the dark too.. it mkes me feel more tuned in to myself and what's going on in my body and I dunno, feels like some kinda sensory deprivation thing where it calms me. It also makes an average run feel far more adventurous and exciting (I don't use a headtorch either unless I know the terrain to be particularly bad)
  • Second dark run of the season down, another 6 miles, not SO bad this time, but still depressing, roll on spring time!!!
  • But moaning about someone moaning is fine though? image
  • notsa bad in t'dark because it makes you appreciate and look forwad to lighter mornings or evenmings. Each season has its beauty image
  • Was a lovely warm morning at 5.30am, Pleanty of wildlife about, perfect for running image
  • Yeah, thats what I need to do, I'll seriously have to think about starting work later.
  • I've admitted defeat this evening & intend to run the gauntlet of Chaverfordwest town centre image

• MisfitMisfit ✭✭✭

I love running in the dark - especially early mornings. There is less traffic about, hardly any people, the air is cleaner / fresher....my favourite time of day.  This time of day when its cold out and I'm toasty warm I feel lovely and cosy. 

Since running gives me a warm fuzzy glow and makes me feel better about myself, the fact that its in the dark makes no difference whatsoever.  Plus, exercise is an excellent natural remedy for depression and I find I don't suffer from SAD anymore.

Can't wait for the snow now.....dark and snowy......lovely!