My Last Run

Comments

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Was supposed to sneak out for a long* run today but work got in the way. So I called in at the gym on the way home and did a quick pyramid session on the tready. Long run tomorrow.

(* 6 miles counts as a long run for me these days but I'm building it slowly)

• short run yesterday morning with the dogs to shake the legs out. went out with my new Kanadia shoes (courtesy of the £5 voucher from the worksop half - how could i not?) and was most impressed. Walked the route Sunday morning and was slipping all over in my hiking boots, ran it yesterday and felt secure as anything! Only problem was they felt very strange running the last mile home on the road, but that is to be expected. shame i can't carry a spare pair and change when i hit the road again! Anyway, easy enough run, loosened up everything nicely.

3.23m in 31.20

And Johny - look forward to seeing you at the Clowne half - although from your times i'm sure you will be well ahead of me! Must do some hill work this weekend.

• I forgot to post yesterday!!image

My last run was yesterday morning (5:25am) and I poked my head out of the door before setting off to find it was actually WARM!! Yup getting towards the end of October and it felt WARM!!image

SO off I set in just shorts and vest!! 1st mile was bit harder than expected as my legs felt heavy, but after that settled into pace and ignored the Garmin pace wise and tried the lap/split function out as i've never used it before!!image

1st - 8:25mins

2nd - 8.22mins

3rd - 7:41 mins

4th - 8:04 mins

0.3 - 2:24 mins

Quite handy for pacing, i'm out again tommorrow so i'll try and get more consistant splits!!image

4:30 Miles in 34:58mins @ 8:08m/m AVG.

OOH - 63:24/65, JOGWATCH (Yup you guessed it) - 0.

• October -      114 miles
    2009      -    1,130 miles

28/10/09 -    6.71m -    59'18
    A day off from work allowed me the luxury (of a sort) of a later mid-week run. Left off just after 6am and set about a 7-miler. Fresh but light. No workmen around just then either. this meant a gentle start off up the middle of my raod. Along the path at Sutton and up Long Lane where I started to lengthen my stride. Held a car up on the service road and made my way along. Across the lights in a hurry as tghe centre lights were about to change. Chip shop was 8.45, OK. ten minutes was mid way between pub and green. Opened up purposely down Hilly Hill and along to the RAF point 10'59. quite disappointed as I was thinking I was riunning faster along here.
    The  run along park road was OK, reached park point 9'43, so, so. Again I thought I was running faster towards Ickenham reaching the Ped Lights 8'26. Tried to keep going through the Village and up Long Lane. getting to Bridge point in over 10 minutes was again a pity but i did hurtle myself up the hill the the A40 spur and alittle down as well. Again to finish with a leg of 11.04 is a shame but i suppose having just run 6 miles previous I shouldn't grumble.
    Another few miles to the tally and Marlow looms ever closer. I cannot wait.

Jog Watch - ONE

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    6.1 miles, 57:31 - struggle the whole way round due to a couple of tough sessions earlier this week. Lovely day for it though and a nice route. Rest day tomorrow methinks.
  • This mornings run was a complete shambles.My first run after a week off from being horribly ill and I'm struggling to run 2 miles imageHoping to do a long run on sat up to 15 miles but I think I'm going to be disappointed. Ahh well I'll give it time. Although I never would have thought that a week off could have such a negative effect.

Lovely sunrise this morning thoughimage

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    I am clearly not putting enough effort into my run reports.
  • another easy run today, still on recovery after the half at the weekend. Appear to have finally figured out how to do the slowing down thing - run myself out a few days before! Was easy the whole way round, quite nice to run so steady for a change. Legs obviously still quite tired from the weekend given the pace, but pleased with the distance so soon after the race.

6.18m in 1.01.04

Higs - feel free to write what suits, we don't judge for the length/brevity of the report!

• Tempo run this evening - 5 miles of which 3 were tempo.  I tend to avoid tempo runs but my lovely partner suggested that this might be in part the reason I struggled in the Birmingham Half recently.  So I took a deep breath and did it!  Didn't enjoy it and went way too fast - but at least I did it!image

Rewarding myself (and him) with Ben N Jerrys!

Jogwatch = 2 but too dark to tell if they nodded!

• Out again this morning for another 4miler.image

Bit of a nip in the air this morning but still comfortable for the time of year. Set off usual pace and again the 1st mile felt hard, dont know if its cos i'm up and out with no drink, brekkie but no choice really as its 5:20am and i've got to fit in my runs before work!!

Anyway soon picked up a little and the next couple breeze by, decided to keep the trot in the last mile too and not to push.

Quite happy to get back in and looking forward to the Sunday run.image

4.29miles in 35:11mins @ 8:12m/m AVG.

OOH 67.53/65. (Not gonna bother with jogwatch any more!!)

• Evening all.  Another club session and yet again managed to drag my son with me.  Glad I put my hi-viz gilet in my bag as it turned out to be quite a cool night after the lovely warm day we have had.  Met up at the lighthouse before jogging round to the housing estate that we use for our winter workouts.  Two laps of the estate as a warm up before embarking on 8x400m reps.  After each 400m we did 250m as jog recovery.  Finished off with a further two laps as a cool down before jogging back to the lighthouse.  Managed to maintain pretty even times over the eight laps tonight with my slowest 400m being 1.33 and the fastest was 1.29,  Even managed to relax my shoulders tonight to help with the consistency over the eight laps. 

D2D - I love your reports, you have such a vivid imagination!  

• Misprinted- If you've been ill enough to make you struggle with 2 miles then I'd defo give the long run a miss. You don't want to flake half way around.

Higs- your's may be short but then at least people read them! 

Club reps tonight- much like shortstop. warm up then 8 x 400m with 1min rest between. Managed 7 in an even 1min 40 then bust a gut to do the last in 1min 20 !! 

Some big October totals- will tot mine up now but don't expect to get near!!

• D2D- love the posts too !! If your legs are cold then you need to get those tights on & forgive my cheekiness but surely if black is slimming then wearing tights would make you look slimmer not fatter? Also with the speeds you've been posting you can't possibly be anything but thin?  
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Hanna wrote (see)
    Higs - feel free to write what suits, we don't judge for the length/brevity of the report!

It's OK - it was slightly tongue-in-cheek. I'm a 'less is more' kinda guy.

p.s. yesterday's 'run' was a rest day - just as important as the running in my view.

• Morning all. Completed 9 miles this morning due to going away this weekend. Weather was perfect really and I had a banana, jaffa cake and some lucozade sport 10 mins before setting off. I came in at 1:14:48. A pace of 8:10 which I am a little disappointed with. Although I am running a hilly route and losing an average of 6 seconds per mile compared with my pace on flatter routes. I am probably being a bit harsh on myself and I was concerned at preserving energy early in the run due to not eating properly beforehand. My next two long runs will be at weekends so I can eat well and hopefully improve my pace. Have a great weekend everyone. 
  • I'm still here.  Just been catching up.  D2d love reading your reports, they're so funny. I wish I had as much imagination. 

I've not got much to report again.  Still hanging on in there doing the minimum outside at the moment until the December trainng starts. Two gym sessions this week.  The first was a fitness test and the second hill reps.

• Hi all, back from holiday in Devon today (boo hoo), so after 3hrs in the car went out for a lunchtime run.

Went off fairly hard and did the first 3.5miles in 24mins which was pretty pleasing. I took the foot off a little after that but ended up with 8.08 miles in 59.03 @ 7.19 m/m (i think) which i was pleased with.

Think the holiday has taken its toll too many late nights and pub lunches, too much beer not enough veg. as the run today felt much harder than normal.

Only did three 4mile runs while away. The lanes near where I was staying were v narrow and winding and I was a little worried about cars speeding along although in reality I was passed by v v few. Was nice to be runnning out in the countryside, such a nice change from seeing the same houses flashing by.

Need to enter some races as beginning to feel slightly uninspired with running at the mo! Eeeek.

JogWatch 0 (as usual)

• Been running for 3 months. Last night decided to test myself on a 10K before Leatherhead next weekend. Have only raced once before (54:51), so I was pleased with 55:34 on tired legs but was pushing it at times. Hopefully on course for a PB.

• Evening Allimage

Hello to the new posters on MLR and to the all the old stalwartsimage

After the ankle/foot injury post Sandstone Trail I did my first run back tonight.

I went the club for 7 on the off chance someone would be there, there is a do on tonight and I thought everyone might've run earlier.

Anyway there were 3 off us.  We set off together but Alan dropped back and cut it short, I carried on with Graham, the pace wasn't anything special but I was working hard to stay with him.

4.86 miles  - 35:53.33 - 7:23m/m.

I could feel the ankle/foot thing after about 1.5 miles but it didn't get any worse, so now it's wait and see how it is tomorrow.

• 29/10/09, 4 miles, 40 mins.

Well, after a bad year or so(running wise) due to heavy work load, no get up and go, 2 family bereavements i got back into training about 4/5 weeks before the GSR (which i ran,well jogged/walked)

After doing the GSR and legs fully recovered by Wednesday (surprised me) i got the get up and go feeling to go running, so went out and thought i'd just go for a tester run to see how my legs would feel after the 10 miler on Sunday.

I did the run without wearing a watch as i lost it in Portsmouth so couldn't check my timings at each mile.

When i got to the first mile i thought to myself .................. feels good, got to the second mile and thought maybe i'm going a bit too fast compared to my recent running pace.

Hill to climb in the 3rd mile so have to slow down a bit.

3rd and 4th mile pace ranges from steady on flat/downhill to slower on uphills.

Get home and look at clock ....................... think to myself is that right, i left home at 7.15 pm and it's now 7.55 pm, that's 40 minutes, 10m/m is what i used to do when i was running regular, more recently i have been doing 11m/m.

Looking forward to my run on Sunday now.

Glyn.

• 30/10/09 - 6.40m - 58'16
    Something different this evening. I wanted to have a day off before the Marlow Half on Sunday so I decided, after six long years of deciding, I ran home from work. I kitted myself out the night before at Homebase by buying a head torch. Running under the tree's down Langley Road in the pitch black this turned out to be a great idea. Uneven, twig's and other crap strewn along the path made it a minefield. Plus the path disappearing too, it was fun!
    Dodged a few people and cars through Iver. Jogged lightly along Iver Lane. Came face to face with a pedestrian ion the Cowley Canal bridge, she wasn't too keen to move. How could she not see a bright green dude running at her with a laser bright, white light strapped to his head? I managed to get across the road OK and I headed down towards the hospital. Went past Coney grove and turned up Royal Lane. ran up the pavement, crossing before the bend onto the other pavement. up to the Red Lion and over along the side of the road on the green until reaching the end from where I ran on to the BP lights. Managed to get through those and made my way home, firstly down the service road whereby I had a couple of instances where I had to jump off the road. Sped up past Cleveland Ave and down past Bernadette's. Still digging up the road near the library, I had to run through the makeshift path, barricaded by bollards, having to doge a few peds walking up.
    Made my final run down the home straight in a sprint fashion. No a superb time, but bearing ion mind the Langley Road part, not bad.
    Now for a rare Saturday off while I get my legs ready for the 13+ miles in Marlow. Going for a PB, surely?

Jog Watch - Two

• A very slow 7 miles at 1hr 19mins image along the canal. I don't think I'd quite woken up at 8:30 on a Sat morning but my best mate insisted we went early then dropped out after 3 miles. Hmph.

Rewarded myself with bacon sausage and egg sarnie from greasy cafe on way home image. Thought I did well not to turn back when she did... Think I've reached a plateau in my running. Got a half planned for May and wondering how the hell I'll do it. 10k in Leeds in 3 weeks. After that I need to up my game. Looks like I'll have to give some interval training a go. 

Jog watch: 3

Dead squirrel floating in canal: 1

Unidentifiable dead furry thing in canal: 1

Kingfisher:1

Bacon sausage and egg buttie: 1

• Wasnt going to go out this morning but got up and wasdnt doing much and found myself putting my running shoes on. Decided to let them take me where they wanted to go

Went up the hill and through the golf course, lots of golfer out early, in the mist, up through the gravel lanes and past the big houses. over the roundabout and swung right into the private estate and the HUGE houses. They are massive! The joy here is virtually never a car and if there is it is a boat of a Bentley gently cruising past. Then down the hill onto the main road and a flat mile or so back towards home before the two big hill to home.

All jolly good fun. Legs had felt a little achey after yesterday sov good to get out.

5.53miles in 40.10

JogWatch 1 (quite a shock)

Lone wasp attack 1

Nice to see a Kingfisher when running BS!!

• Wasn't going to run today but saw the forecast for tomorrow as my teenager stumbled in so grabbed the opportunity- pity I had just scoffed lunch because it took a while to get going....

Out & back along the main trunk road & up a lane, but it was lovely, sunny & autumnal with not too many cars about. 

9.06 miles in 1hr 25 (avg 9.22mm)

Jogwatch-0

cyclist-1

couple having a row in their farmyard-1

• Snap,Camlo.  I also saw the forecast for tomorrow and decided to go this morning just in case.  I'm still scheduled to go tomorrow as I'm meeting a friend and running with her, but we have yet to decide when to go (depending on how heavy the rain is).

So I set off down Sheep hill lane to the Hayrick where my grandson came running out (he's a chef there).  Always lovely to see him.  He gave me a big hug and a kiss.  Not often you get a 6'something teenager doing that in the middle of the main roadimage. Anyway, I stopped for a bit to have a chat then went on my way.  Down the A49 past Leyland golf club and on to Dawson Lane.  I turned up onto the muddy path where my new trainers got well and truly christened.  There was another lady runner coming towards me looking suitably muddied up as well.

Back onto Dawson Lane and into Shaw Hill gym where I was hoping to meet my PT.  He wasn't there but his cousin was so I got 20p from the desk and moved sheepishly up to the scales.  I had to get gus to come and confirm that I had achieved my GOAL WEIGHTimageimage At last I've done it.  I was really pleased and after a slurp of water I left and continued down the A6 back home feeling very smug.

Just to reward myself I made a steak pie and jacket wedges for teaimageimageWell I should run it off tomorrowimage

jogwatch 1