Marathon

I'm unsure whether to enter Blackpool marathon on 11th April 2010. I was planning for London but didn't get in. I've entered the Kilomathon on 14th March 2010. Is it too soon afterwards to run the mrathon?

I'm unsre whats the best to do. Some of my running friends have said the kilomathon is a perfect distance and marker for my fitmess for the marathon. Is there enough time to rest and recharge before the marathon?

Help

Kath

Comments

• Kath - Back to back running - I've been doing a bit of that. Depends on what else you're doing in your training. However if you treat the earlier run (Kilo) as part of your training for the Marathon, there should be no problem. I just completed Snowdon mara 24th Oct on the back of The HP 40 Ultra 19th Sept. After a week's rest after the 40 I just ticked over until Marathon day and then ran a PB. - you can do both.

Might look at Blackpool, have you done it before?

• XBXB ✭✭✭

I don't want to be too rude about Blackpool, but I'd choose a more scenic one for your first. I did Blackpool last year and was depressed after 10 miles.

I think Stratford has one on the same day as London. Then there's Wndermere in mid-May - this is a truly awesome event which is very beginner friendly.

• Agree with XB but Blackpool isn't that bad and will be going back for a jolly this year if injury sort's itsself out by xmas. It's cheap in terms of travel, hotel etc.. and a good day out. The kilo looks perfect for treating as training for a marafun around April or May time. There are a few good ones about that time as well.
  • Thank you!! Haven't done blackpool or a marathon before! This one fits in with work as I have the next day off too!!! Kids back to school on th 13th April.

Thanks again.

Kath

• I'm 50 next year and have never been to Blackpool, been to Rhyl though - maybe I'll find another flat mara to do.
  • I am going to Blackpool to do the Marathon on 11th April.  Me and a mate are travelling up (with families in tow) all the way from sunny Cardiff.  For me and my mate its a first, running a marathon.  We are hoping its gonna be a good day out.  Like you Kathryn we half booked another race (Llanelli Half 7th March) and I had a bit of a panic about it too.  Worrying whether it would jeopardise my training for the marathon.  We are planning on taking the half race easy at a comfy pace and use it as additional training other than a hinderance. 

So if you have over done it!  Remember we will have overdone it too!  We'll be the two welsh lads at the back looking in need of emergency first aid!!!

• Forest

have lost track of it all

how is your prep going friend,

hope all is well

• Yeah going brill so far!  Clocked up 18 miles last weekend having a mild rest this weekend I am doing 12 miles split over 2 days.  Went out for 6 miles today @ 52 mins and again on Sunday for another six miles! Feeling good, no injuries (touch wood) yet.  All is well!  Doing the Llanelli run next weekend and from then on its BP Marathon all the way!  I was planning on doing 16 mi week after llanelli followed by a 20 mi long run the follwoing week and then begin to taper for 3 weeks!  Can't wait!!!!!!!  Wahoo its so exciting! 
  • Hi Forest,

Training was going really well until 2 weeks ago when my calf decided to cramp. Or so I thought! Have actually "pulled" "annoyed" or whatever the midle tendon at the start of my achilles tendon, where it starts within the calf. Have had physio and usual cold/hot treatment plus RICE and touch wood will be back attemping to run on Wednesday. Only a mile however!

Had got up to 17.1 miles the week before this happened. Have kept my cardio up with lots of cycling and swimming which doesn't aggravate it. My physio is confident I have time to get well and run at Blackpool. Am just gonna suck it and see. Have only got 2 weeeks until my Kilomathon so that'll be  a real tester to see if legs are up to it!

I'll be the yorkshire lass hobbling at the back!!!

• imageimage If it helps got exactly the same problem. Would normally just run round with a big silly grin on my stupid face but wibbling because of stuff on later in the year. image
  • My life is over!!!

Have had to withdraw from the Kilomathon!!!!!! Have been on antibiotics all week, been off work 3 days will be on medication till nxt Wednesday so haven't run today as planned. 

In the pit of despair as was so looking forward to Kilo, but know I've got to get well and "uninjured" for Blackpool, just over 5 weeks away.

is someone trying to tell me something?

image

• Yep nothing worth doing is easy and things can go wrong. Hang in there and let your body heal, it will get better! Failing that look for a ugly bloke with a balti king sheffield t-shirt on (long story) and I'll give you a piggy back round blackpool assuming my calf can hold up. I'm big boned so if calf can cope with me, a lass won't make much difference. image