Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options

Congrats Katb.

Oh dear - looks unpromising weather tomorrow and I've arranged to meet friends so a wet and windy run ahead of me I think!

• Options

5.18miles @ 8:04 mm

Longest and fastest run in VFF's so far. Overdid it a bit, calf muscles are gonna hurt for a few days I think.

Jog watch: 1 (added 300m to route so I could chase after them)

People using long pole to fetch items of clothing out of canal watch: 2

Rabbit watch: 2

• Options

A big woo hooooo!!! to KatB ....

Just back from holiday, a good time on the North York Moors, did some running, nothing too strenuous .. just out for 3.5 miles a few times to keep me ticking over.  I had planned 10K tomorrow, but weather reports looking a bit grim image.  Oh well, I prefer cold sogginess to hot and stuff ....

• Options
    KatB -nice work, steak pie and wedges image
  • Options

Well done KatB- what an achievement!!!

allyR -what are VFF's ? I'm guessing a type of trainer?? 

shelscrape-good luck for today- as predicted it is mightily throwing it down here so I'm not going anywhere!!!!!! 

• Options

Well I was one of the mad fools brave enough to go out and run this morning! I couldn't go yesterday as I spent the day in Lincoln at the Uni with my eldest son.   Had arranged with a couple of the blokes from running club to meet up with them at 9am this morning so we could run together rather than all of us out doing runs alone.  As we met at 9am the heavy rain started but as we had made the effort to meet up we set off and just had a nice steady run.  Nice easy pace and plenty of chat and the miles soon passed.  We ended up doing 6.05miles in a time of 61mins and 12 secs.  Av pace 10.06min/miles.  By the time I got back to my car I was soaked right through!  Dried off with my towel, put clean dry t-shirt on and sat on my towel to drive home.  As we speak my whole running kit (apart from trainers) is in the washing machine! 

Jog Watch - 0 (they must all be fair weather runners today)!!!!

Large cup of coffee and soak in the bath when I got home to warm me up.

• Options

Short Stop - I had a similar experience plus strong winds.  I was going to give it a miss as most of the folk that had planned to run with me this morning had bottled out, but there ended up being 3 of us up for it so we braved the wind and rain for a gentle 7.5 miles.  Quite enjoyed it actually as we get the pace down and I felt all virtuous for running in this weather! image  I saw a couple of people walking and one struggling on a bike but no other runners to be seen.

And I also had the coffee and bath when I got in which was lovely. image

• Options
    Well. St Andrews is currently being hit with raging wind and lashing rain. You'd be insane to go outside, let alone run.

I did 13.1 miles in 1'47.

Not the fastest run ever - being buffeted by 20mph winds for the last 7 miles will do that for you. But HR was averaged just under 75% of MHR. My Garmin said my max speed was 22.7mph..... hmm image
  • Options

NOVEMBER 1st

New month, new start, Old course image

An interminable slog around my Manley Road loop!

Started with now real plan but followed the course as far as the start of the loop and thought "may as well!"

With a mention of VFF's I thought I'd run in my poor man's version. only really similar in as much as they have very little of anything, Including grip, which is woeful on wet, muddy off road.

stats - 5.35 miles - 53:40.91 - 10:01m/m (quicker than it felt) - 833 ft ascent.

JogWatch  - 0

Horse doing the dieing fly watch  - 1

• Options

Thanks everyone.

I met up with my friend this afternoon when the rain had eased off a bit.  We just did short of 6 very hilly miles round Heapey.  The wind was quite strong and we had a bit of rain, but it was mainly dryish.

Well done to those of you who braved the weather this morning.

• Options

yesterday's run was out with my friend again, figured we'd try and avoid the weather. Only problem with clocks going back is the afternoon runs end up running out of daylight, and given we work alternate Saturday mornings i'm struggling to get out any earlier, as need lunch before running, then time to digest it. One of the local roads has been shut for a couple of weeks, which is annoying me as it means more traffic on the road i cut back on at the end of walking the dogs in the mornings - usually see no cars, now at least three every morning. Anyway, decided to take advantage of having company and investigate why it was shut. Turns out it was for a good reason - they've dug up the road over the stream! Thought about going back, but opted to try crossing bu scrambling down the bank, crossing on a log and scrambling up the other side, then had to cross a ploughed field to get back to the road. Given that my friend has only run outside off the treadmill a couple of times i thoguht he coped remarkably well! The whole thing must have added a minute or so onto our time, so otherwise a fairly respectable time. Legs feel recovered from last weekend, felt like I could have gone longer, but as i say, it was getting darker quickly and hadn't come prepared for that, so finished where planned.

7.5m in 1.13.00

• Options
    01/11/09 - 13.10m - Marlow Half Marathon - 2'04'22 **Personal Best**
    Set off for this event in the most horrendous rain, it didn't look too good for Marlow. Got to the start line too late to pick up any pins as well, bugger!
    I was up at the back but I did try to gain a few metres squeezing through the crowd waiting for the start gun. Trouble is the first mile is so congested and it really sets the pace for my race. I couldn't open up at all. Plus the jostling of fellow runners (I'm guilty too), gets frustrating as well, I'm sure someone tried to trip me up. The first mile is also an uphill run so to be sub 10 (9'24) was quite an acheivement!
    The second mile was a little easier (8'51) but the weather was not nice. Rain as well as wind along with leaves to make it a little harder. Also the field was starting to lengthen out.
    Five miles out was the first of the long downhill runs, i remembered from last time and didn't run too fast, to be honest I wouldn't have been able to, real stress on the legs and knees.
    i rumbled on through ups and downs until i came to 8 miles. This was the bastard climb. i was determind not to stop, I got half way up and tried to stop but in all honesty my legs wouldn't let me! I kept going just. A couple of times i ran out of gas only for my legs to stop for an instance and then keep going. Reaching the top was exhilerating, I did it, consequently after reaching the peak I started to run along a slight downhill quite fluently. My run took on a regular type of run, like I was out normally.
    Unfortunately I forgot there was another fuck off hill at 10, wow this was a killer. again I tried to keep going and in the same way as 8, my brain and legs did there own thing to carry me over the brow. From then on it was plod time, 12 until 13 seemed to be the longest mile, it went on forever and the last mile couldn' come quick enough. But it did and I got home in a new personal best time but my legs hurt, really hurt. No where near my sub 2 hours I hoped for but with those hills, that is someway off.
    Because of the awful weather and the fact I had a target I didn't enjoy the race as I had in 2007 but i am more than happy with what I acheived. Will I return, probably but I definaitely need to do some proper hill work.
  • Options

Nov: 4.2miles, today: 4.2miles, 46mins

OK, now I know that sounds pants but it was the Uncllys route - hilly, muddy, v windy and lots of fallen branches to negotiate.  The forest looked amazing tho.

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Legs tired after 5 hours on the mountain bike yesterday. But the car was still outside the Thai restaurant from last night. So I did a nice gentle 3 miles to go and pick it up.
  • Options
    My last 'proper' run was the Bupa Great South Run, which was my first big race and it was absolutely fantastic! Well, it was until about mile 7 when it started to become a bit too much like hard work.

Miles 8 & 9 were agony, and I am sure that without the huge, noisy crowds and booming music I would have walked the final mile. I finished ahead of my target time however on 1h 37m which I was made up with.

Tried a run last Wednesday, but my legs were still very tired so I only managed about 3 miles, with a fair few walking breaks. I played 90 minutes of football yesterday. so I am planning to rest today, tomorrow and maybe Tuesday ahead of another run on Wednesday and Thursday,

• Options
    Well, I did go out this morning after all.  Hugely windy and rainy here in Lincolnshire.  I thought I'd wait for the weather to ease off, but gave up waiting for a break in the weather and just though "sod it" and went out.  Very very windy.  Strong head wind up hill for the first mile, loads of standing water on the roads and verges, so I got well and truly splashed by cars and vans.  I only did 4 miles in the end - yes, crap I know - but I'm only little and I had a lot of trouble just trying to run in vaguely straight line.  Even the peacocks at the warren had found somewhere to hide.  Back home for fish pie - made by my own fair hand while I was waiting for the blooming wind to ease!
  • Options
    My last run was this morning along Filey Beach. It was an organised 10KM run and by god the weather was horrendous. It was cold, windy and raining. The beach was like a river of water, my trainers will take a month to dry out!

However saying that it was a good run, if it had been a nice day I think the route would have been really nice.

Not sure what time I did it in about 70 mins I think, and I was one of the last to finish but I'm not a fast runner and with a small event I never expected to do any faster!

Next race is the Leeds Abbey dash so lots of runs between now and then image
  • Options

Good evening, all!  Some RW-related issues re this site are now resolved, thanks to the on-line managing editor, Catherine.

Too many fine efforts to praise individually but I'll single out iRun for the HM PB and the return of the mighty marshallini after injury.  Oh, yes, and Katb's winning weight thing too image

I'll just select a couple of runs that I really enjoyed: Wednesday saw me in Katb country, running the fells from White Coppice, Great Hill, Winter Hill, the sharp side, the Pigeon Tower, Rivington village and along the tracks by the reservoirs past Anglezarke, finishing at White Coppice again.  Boggy on the tops but warm, dry and not at all windy.  Great fun to run with my pal, Miss Poorly Feet image

13.2 miles, 2788 feet of ascent, JogWatch: 0  HikerWatch: dozens! 

Today, 9 soggy miles on some super trails near my Mum's in Wakefield.  V. wet under foot and some naughty climbs too!  Just like the old days!   1:21:02 but who cares about time on days like this? 

• Options

another off road run this morning to run in the trail shoes. impressed even more after yesterdays rain, was very muddy but didn't slip at all, and even running through the puddles (they were too big to run round!) my feet stayed dry. Legs definitely back to their old selves again, faster run despite all the mud.

4.5m in 42.09.

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Hallooo!!  First time back in what seems like ages.  Just been away with work for a week.  So, the Mon, Weds, Fri runs were all on treadmills in the hotel gym.  Really nothing to describe there.  Apart from the fact that the hotel gym was fabulous.  I did my long runs with a tele right in front of me.  Shame I didn't know how to change channel.  Fashion TV in Russian.  Anyway, managed a 75, 90, and 45 min run on those days.

Went out yesterday though, after waiting for the rain to finish, but the wind was crazy!  Did my LSR over 15.4 miles.  Of course, I completely forgot which course I was on and was only intending to do about 12.5.  I began to realise at 2 hours that I probably wasn't going slowly, it was just that I'd taken some turns that I probably didn't intend to!  Ended up at 2:18 for the course, which was actually excellent given that I was staying in aerobic zone all the way round (according to HRM) and barely broke a sweat until the last few miles.

One other runner, going the other way on a hill that I love running down, but hate running up.  I hope he enjoyed it!

• Options

Been away but now back hoping to return to some serious training. Am currently toying with the idea of Gloucester marathon depending on how well I get on with runninng this month as I feel that I'm back at square 1 again.
    I read  that somone was using VFF's and was wandering how they get on with them and how easy are they to adapt to? Also as the bulk of my running is on the streets would Vff's be able to cope?

Anyway back to MLR had a day off work and woke up earlyn due to my aged howling cat so used the opportunity for an easy run around the neighbourhood. Enjoyed the quietness of that time of the morning realising how much I had missed my me time over the last few weeks. Hopefully I should get back into my old routine of running to work this week again.

5.7 miles in 44' 01" @ 7:44 mm

Jogwatch 0

YT: 810, MT: 5.7

• Options

Can't beat that off road thing, Hanna!image  Welcome back, postie - hope you'll soon be back in top form again.image

0635  On a dry but windy morning, I ran towards Thornton, past Forefield School and into a v. quiet Blundellsands.  Looped back into Crosby, then down to the Baths & home via cycle path.  Legs were heavy in the last 2 miles.

5.3 miles, 47:01, JogWatch: 1

• Options

Swittle if I'd known i would've come and cheered you on.  Let me know when you are next in the area.

Welcome to all the newbies btw.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I've been away, taking some annual leave during half term and visiting friends and family here, there and everywhere. Managed to keep up the running, bringing October's total to 86 miles which I'm pleased with considering the mini-taper running up to the Bradford 10 Mile and the full week off afterwards.

Since my last post ... Sun 25th - 6.2 miles; Mon 26th, 8.25 miles; Thurs 28th, 8 miles; Sat 30th 6.25 miles ... all done at 60-70% working HR ...

... and today 8 miles in 1:14, avHR 138 bpm. image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    postie postie wrote (see)

I read  that somone was using VFF's and was wandering how they get on with them and how easy are they to adapt to? Also as the bulk of my running is on the streets would Vff's be able to cope?

I've bought some but don't plan to use them yet as they're my Xmas pressie! There's a thread about them in the "Gear" section...
  • Options

Nice to see you back Dr Dan, well done on the PB iRun, oh and D2D you can still do a long post having been for a swim... good work!

Just got in from my hard run. v dissapointed. 4.08miles in 27:55 @ 6:51m/m. I know I should not be too disappointed as its my second fasted for this loop but it is 30sec off my best time which is V ANNOYING. Felt like v hard work and was not happy when I saw the time. (feeling better now though)

I am going to put it down to the fact that I played golf this morning so walked about 4miles then (5over for 14 holes)

Anyway could have done with a best time as still feeling a bit like I cold pack all it in but going to keep going, I hope!

Happy running everyone, please dont let me put you off I will be back on song v soon!  x

JogWatch 3 (wow)

PS

• Options
    A recovery run after yesterday's monsoon-like 13 miler. Naturally, I didn't push it, and laughed at the wind as it tried to push me about, without success. I felt really good and wasn't pushing it at all. HR averaged 70% of MHR, peaking at 75% at the end (evidently I decided to go for a fast finish...... image).

4.26 miles in 35'44, averaging 8:23/mile.
  • Options
    Apart from my drug fuelled GSR which I shouldn't have done I hadn't run for several weeks due to injury. Took the dogs out for a 4 mile run on tracks this morning. Felt fresh and little pain so will try 6.5 on the road tomorrow. Not worried about time, just want to feel confident I can still run image
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming