Completed my first 10k! Tips for a faster run please

So I am very achey today but pleased with myself as yesterday I completed my first ever 10k at the Army organised Tidworth 10k. It was really hard even though I have been training off road there was a HUGE hill I had to walk up and lots of rocky terrain. I completed in 1hr 10mins which I was pleased with. I managed to run all the way (about 5k) to the huge hill walked that, then ran again and only had to walk for a few paces 2k from home as I had a really bad stitch I just couldn't shift.

So I would love some tips please from more experienced runners so I can improve on my time...

I find it really hard to breath out stitch and as I have asthma I get it quite alot when I reach around the 7k marker

How do I step up my pace without also burning out? I find I can run at a slow steady pace and find it quite comfortable but when I try to step it up a little with a bigger stride this also brings on stitch

How do I stop shoulder pain? I get a real tight knot in the right shoulder and it's v annoying, is this due to bad posture?... Should I move my arms more?...

Sorry lots of questions but I want to improve my next aim is probs another 5k and try to improve on my time from earlier this year

Thank you

C image

Comments

• My advice would be to build your stamina and endurance at the current level, so you can avoid the walking, then you can work on the speed.
  • ChloboChlobo ✭✭✭
    So should I stick to slightly shorter routes 5k-7k and try to do they a bit quicker?...
  •  Well done on completing your first 10k

What was the longest run you did in your training for the 10k?

edit : no, I'd suggest increasing the distance of your longest run.

• ChloboChlobo ✭✭✭
    The longest run I did in training was 11k so not much in it really, but that was on roads and very gradual gradients etc the race on sun was over some pretty tricky ground which I think took it out of me. I have felt that 'sweet spot' whilst training on shorter runs the point when I can just settle into a groove and runa nd breath without really thinking about it, but I can't seem to get to that point over longer distances yet...
  • You need to run longer runs IMO, go a good few miles over distance, but slowly, maybe find some hills to practice hill work too.

• When i took up running i did it on my own....i just put on a pair of shorts, old t shirt and trainers and ran and always went out of my way to aviod hills etc, that was years ago and now i no.......

Its best to do hills and you have got to do LSR if your thinking of enjoying your runs or the events you enter!

I can remember a bridge over a train track near my house use to slow me right down, now there is a three quarter mile hill i always make sure i run up even if its a short run, and i try and do more hills!!

My advice.... do plenty of hills and up your long slow runs image

• ChloboChlobo ✭✭✭
    Yeah I think im avoiding the issue doing nice gradual runs over pretty flat terrain because they are more confortable. I have access to lots of hills I've just been avoiding them! Time to bite the bullet by the looks of it if I want to get to the next stage and stick in more hills, no more running along nice flat disused railways lines any more image