legs

hi all, hope you well.

ok, i have only entered a few races yet training for some time now, i was hoping to get in london 2010 but was not to be. the problem which i have now is, i am training for the GNR in blackpool next feb, my last few track attemps i have only been able to get to mile 8/9 obviously stoping for odd drink water, but after 8/9th mile my legs just seem to not want to work, they feel stiff and hard to get going and then dont want to stop me haha, the hip joint start to hurt yet i am not out of breath nor anywhere near and feel fine barring the legs. last week i pushed myself from 8/9 to the distance 13.2 and i was finding myself stopping more freq, say every 3 laps.

a friend of mine says there is a name for this and that its something to do with food, i really dont know but she use to run for a living a while ago, but cannot remember what it is. or what i should do next.

can anyone help with name, cure etc

thanks

paul

Comments

• Lactic acid build up and/or depletion of glycogen.

Look up "dietitians unlimited" on google and get an appointment with someone for professional advice on your diet.

• thank you kiwi and is it threatening????
  • It's not lactic acid as you are not running fast enough - you'd be experiencing severe oxygem debt if so. 

Unless your diet is appallingly bad / or the workout is taking an inordinate amount of time it shouldn't be glycogen depletion either.  How long are you running for before you experience the problem?

Is it shorter than runs you have successfully done recently or is this the furthest you have tried while running?  If it's the latter it just sounds like your body is not used to it. 

• Paul - you're not really giving enough information!  Have you ran 13.2 miles before?  Why are you running 13.2 miles around a running track and why if your event is not until Feb 2010 are you already running 13 miles in preparation?  On the information you've given I tend to agree with M above - it sounds to me like you are just not used to the mileage.  you have to build up slowly with proper recovery between runs to allow your body time to adjust to the mileage. 
  • it was the first time tigerlily at that distance i normally run 8/9 with comfort, but wanted to push myself, this has happened on a 10k. my time was 1hr51min for the 13.2mile. i am suppose to be following a training prog off this site but to be honest its telling me 15 20 mins evry other day and when i start running i just dont want to stop when get to 15min haha so i keep going.
  • There is nothing physically wrong and you have nothing to worry about.  You got tired because you hadn't run that far before.

If that happened it probably took a bit too much out of you for a training session, so next time you go further than 8 / 9 stop before it starts to get uncomfortable.  You're best off running continously for 8, 10, 11, 12, 13 miles in each of the next few weeks rather than stopping frequently to extend the length of your runs.  In a few weeks time 13 miles will be comfortable.

Sounds like you've got the addiction licked, now it's time to include some moderation!!

• Agree with M above - though still a little confused about why you are running 13 miles round a running track?  Still, each to their own I suppose image.  1hr 51 is pretty good for a first attempt at a half - but please be carefull - if you get injured you won't be able to run 2 miles let alone 13!  Take it easy and enjoy!
  • haha got it well licked m.

right running track.  i told to do 1 day week at track to do things like run 4 laps quicker than normal pace, time it, rest then 4 rest timing all, so on and so forth, but me being me changed it slightly and just kept going, basically i wanted to know just how far my body could go and now i no, i hear what you saying m about stopping and all this help/info is helping.

thanks all.

paul.

• I think you should change your forum name to Forrest gump!!!!  I can't imagine anything worse that running for 13 miles round a running track - were you not bored?! 
  • Life's not fair when other runners start calling you Forrest Gump as well!

• image image image - no offence meant Paul!
  • The pain in your hip could be caused by the fact that you're doing that distance around a track.  Try changing direction every four laps to even out the stresses on your body.

However, better still, use the track for speed sessions as you were originally advised and do your long runs on or off road - anywhere but the track.  Much more fun.

As others have said, be careful about increasing your distance too quickly, it's a recipe for injury.  Also, as you increase the distance drop the pace a little to give your body time to adjust.  Once you're comfortable with a distance, then you can increase the pace again.

• HI

I JUST HAD A CALL, I GOT PLACE IN LONDON 2010 CANCER RESERCH,