My Last Run

Comments

• RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Last night was interesting.  Took my lil ratzer to footie training from 6-7:30pm, so I used the time to go for a run.  Never been running in the area, but I do know it so I wasn't worried.  But in terms of time and distance I had no idea what I was prepping for.  So I decided on a 150HR and kept going until I ran out of minutes.  This meant that one particular loop I went around twice - it was quite long - and nearly went a third time but decided not to risk getting back late (I went most way to halfway round then turned and came back, if that makes sense).

I had to laugh at one sight.  There was a couple that I was coming up behind, pushing a push chair.  Well, the bloke was crouching down with something white in his hand trying to scoop something up off the pavement.  I swear I thought it was the baby's!!!  Then I saw they had two little dogs with them as well.  Phew.  Good for them, anyway, clearing up the muck.

Steady run, quite reasonable effort, managed 9.3 miles according to mapmyrun, and did it in 75 minutes with a decent cooldown.

Jogwatch - 4.  I scared one young woman wearing an iPod as I overtook her.  I think she had to crouch down with a doggybag too.  Why wear a iPod?  (But that's a whole other thread...)

• Lunchtime run.

No rain today thank goodness but it was v v windy. Decided to push it a bit more today, on a hillyish route.   5.55miles in 39:25  4th mile was all into the wind and at 7:26 did me a bit, then more hills coming home.

JogWatch 0 (back to normal)

• PaulS4 - there's a cycle route near Halls that's separated from the road by a hedgerow. It's a nice, smooth, flat route, and most of it is sheltered by trees from the wind as well.

As for the workout itself, it's not one of these "oh god, I think I'm gonna be sick" speedwork sessions, but a "I feel worked, but not totally knackered" kind of sessions.

Moving onto today, I did a steady 8 miles in 59:20 today. Unfortunately, there was a cold sea breeze, which gave me a terrible stitch, meaning I had to stop a few times image

Putting that aside, I felt really strong today and felt I could have pushed it more if I had needed to. My HR averaged 75% (150bpm) of my MHR, peaking at 85% (168bpm) at the end, which is fantastic.
  • 0630  Another damp circuit, this time to what used to be docklands, now occupied by the vast container base of Liverpool Freeport.  Plenty of standing water to avoid.  Breathing better today - enjoyed my run!

5.6 miles, 49:01, JogWatch: 0

• Evening all! How is everyone?

Well, my comeback is almost complete. I had a holiday in France 3 weeks ago during which the most exercise I got was getting on the back of my hubby's motorbike! The following week I went to Guernsey, and had to turn down an offer from my sis to go for a run with her there - shame, as the place is stunning. I may join her for a half marathon over there next year.

Anyway, a few interval sessions on the treadie and outside, plus the usual spinning classes, and I finally felt ready for a "proper" run. On Sunday I headed out on my usual 30 minute route, and managed it non-stop - woo! Not too many knee niggles, but my lungs were threatening to explode. Why is it that I can do a hard spinning class, but can't run 10 minutes without almost passing out?

The great news was that my knee didn't really react to the run, so I did another one today from work on a fairly flat route. Didn't feel quite so hard this time.

It is quite annoying that I ran a marathon in April, and now I feel like a beginner again. Mind you, it doesn't help that I replaced running with eating (oops). Bit of work to do there! Never mind, I'm finally back doing what I love, and I'm going to make sure I look after myself this time. Plus my trainer is back from maternity leave at last, so I'll have some company as well!

Stay well all.

November total: 4.51 (2.5 more than October, and 4.51 more than August and September!)
    2009 total: 404.12 (finally hit that 400 mile mark - should have been in June!)
  • I feel such a slow coach with all the speedy runners on this thread! image

Anyway - I did my 3rd session with my new group at the club tonight - I'm really between groups but have been persuaded to join the slightly harder one.  I struggled today but they were all really nice about it!  Just over 6 miles with a circuit that we did at tempo (at least that was how it felt to me) - I only managed 2.5 circuits - the others did 3.  Just hoping that  sticking with this group will help me to improve as I hate being stuck at the back.

• Did an easy 6.1 miles today, in 47:30 - an average of 7.7mph/7:50 per mile.

Was a bit harder than yesterday, surprisingly - I think I need a rest day soon. Averaged 72% of MHR, peaking at 81% (when I realized I was going a bit too fast).
  • 04/11/09 -  4.45m -    38'36
    Out with the H&HRR's tonight. Felt jaded from last Sunday's half let alone my 4+ last night. Had a good chat  and stretched in the meeting room. We left off in a group of about 8 and set off up the road. i was trailing everyone. I was pretty close to Daniel all the way up until Lees Road when he turned around while the others went on. I decided I should head back with him.
    Not too bothered about time but it has made my foot hurt a lot more. Time to take a couple of days off me thinks.
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Did a very easy run this morning.  Couldn't fit anything in yesterday and knew that I wouldn't be able to today either so got up at stupid o'clock and got out for a jog.  I was really stiff.  I know what age does to you now, simply taking longer and longer through each day to loosen up naturally.  Running the moment you get out of bed is a tough ask for me.  Anyway, I thought I'd try to fit in about 40 mins and take it easy.

Started ok, but stiff, then the HRM went wacky.  Told me I had some kind of supermax HR and I couldn't seem to slow down enough to get it to drop.  I wasn't even getting warm.  So finally I stopped.  Within five seconds the hr had dropped back down to a sensible, if a little low, level, and I went on from there without problem.

The roads were quiet.  There was no-one else out except for one dog walker on my way back.  I must have done about 4 miles in just under 40 minutes.  I've felt great since, really awake and loose, but I still feel like I need to run some more today.

• Tried a slow run today keeping HR at 150 only did 4.1 miles and took 33.31. (Odd as I have done that loop in 27:24 before). I must say I did find it very hard to stick to that HR as I am used to going a bit faster. Wasnt going to run today but nothing else doing at lunch time which is why I tried it.

LSR next (prob tomorrow but maybe sat) will try and stay at todays pace of about 8m/m - 8.10m/m for it and hopefully wont get to bored with it. Gotta give this whole LSR thing a proper go I think.

5 days in a row for me, the start of a streak?? I do hope not image

• D2D I've based most of my training around Shades 4 run plan so run tues, wed, thur and Sunday (long run). Tuesday ends up as an easy/recovery run, Wednesday either a mid week LSR or Tempo and Thursday ether tempo, long run or easy depending on how I feel when I leave home.

Last year I felt drained for a long time after Abo and was averaging between 7:30 and 8 mm's however in the local Santa dash I managed12' 19" over a 2 mile course! I reckon your times are probably correct but don't expect them every day and be careful of your old injuries. By now tou should be experienced to run by instinct so able to keep plans flexible. Good luck.

• i can't seem to wear my HRM for some unknown reasonimage 
  • I forgot todays mlr

5.19 miles in 35'46" @ 6:54mmimage (3'30" quicker than Tuesdays knocking40" off the pace)
    Haven't run this fast for months and am not feeling too achey either. (blowing my own trumpet again)

Jogwatch 0

YT: 820, MT:16

• Went down to club tonight and only 4 of us out. We were supposed to be doing a speed session but decided against it and went for a run around the outskirts of town.  Plenty of fireworks going off as we were out and at one point as we were running along the prom some idiot blokes (and I mean grown up blokes!) were letting rockets off at a really low angle so they were just going over the prom wall and into the sea as we were running past.  Quite smoky in places tonight with all the fireworks going off around us. 

Forgot to start my watch tonight as we set off but I know that the distance of this run is 5.7miles.    We even saw a couple of other runners out tonight along the prom.  They looked as though they were rugby players doing winter training as they were quite big fellas plodding along but they did wave and acknowledge us.  

Its Fish & Chip Friday in school canteen tomorrow - perfect way to end the week!image  Will also be going for my usual Friday night swim in the school pool too!  

Have a good weekend!image

• 0615  Decided to run a favourite road route at a livelier pace this morning.  Mostly dry but much standing water & carpets of leaves to avoid as I headed through Thornton and back through Crosby village before passing Satterthwaite's bakery where today's fresh batch of pies was being loaded - took much willpower to run past image  Over railway to Brighton-le-Sands and back to Waterloo.  Only 20 seconds faster than three weeks ago - like it matters image - but certainly got the HR up.

5.5 miles, 46:38, JogWatch: 0

• BBBRRRR cold & wet leaving the house, nearly didn't bother but then within 10mins of running it cleared & we did a lovely 6 hill reps witha jog around town after. Bought a noo heart monitor earlier (Aldi-12.99) so got to try it out.

Max HR-201, Av 146. Not sure if thats good or bad as haven't read the leaflet yet. 

Pain in my arches getting worse - not sure what/ why/ what to do image

• Clun run tonight - I'm really enjoying this club running thing, especially the drinks in the bar after!

Anyway, I ran with another new lady tonight - my other 2 companions on previous nights were moaning I was too fast !!! Me, fast, never!!  Anyway, me and Linda set off around Sleaford, watching all the fireworks as we went, down into town, over the level crossing and out along Grantham road, 2 loops around two very confusing housing estates and then back over the level crossing and up to the rugby club.  6 miles in 55 minutes!!!  That's blooming fast for me, I need to keep it up, I will get a sub 60 10K next time I run one!

• Done 2 runs in the last few days, one was just an easy 2 mile tick-over on Tuesday I managed to get into the afternoon for the 1st time. Weather was great and enjoyed running in a bit of buisier surroundings.image

2.22miles in 17:12mins @ 7:44 m/m avg.

The second run was this mornings tempo run of 7 miles. I have to squeeze these in before work so had to leave the house at 5:10am. To say I was'nt looking forward to this run last night was an understatement!!image

Anyway I was awake from 4:40am and rolled out of bed at 5 when the alarm went off, took a peek outside and it was raining "Great!!".

Set off and got into a nice warm up stride for the 1st mile and then went for it in the 2nd mile at 7:12m/m pace (quick for me), then a warm jog half mile and repeated 3 times. Did'nt think i'd stick it out for the 3rd fast mile but gritted my teeth and pushed myself to do it. Last 2 miles were warm down miles home and actually picked up a little in the last mile.

Now when I started my programme 6 weeks ago I could'nt run 7 miles so today was one of my little breakthroughs, to complete what I thought would be a tough run and do it in the schedule layed out time frame.

I was a little chuffed and this has spurred me on to do better next time and to go for a PB in my next 10K at the end of the month!!

7 miles in 56:56mins @ 8:07m/m avg.image

I'm gonna start using my GF305 at the weekend too so another little bonus to look forward to!!image

• ABORTED early morning LSR today image.

Pain in right ankle, felt it a little yesterday but could not feel it at all when walking about so went out this morning nice and early Brrr!!! Got about 1.5 miles from home and it started feeling v uncomfortable, sharp stabbing pain in the ankle. Jogged/hobbled/walked home.

Feels like its prob a little twist or sprain. Few days off I feel. Bit sad.

• PaulS4 - hope your ankle is better soon.  Good idea taking a few days off.

Camlo - I had a problem last year with my arches, caused by the wrong trainers.  Have you changed yours recently?  I'd suggest finding a local sports therapist  - my guy had my feet sorted in a few weeks.

• Camlo - I've had pain in arches before though from aerobics (I used to teach and do LOADS!) - was told it could be a "marching facture" but never got it properly checked out (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-stress-fracture.htm)  But I'm not a medic so feel free to ignore.  i agree with SazzaG - getting a proper diagnosis sounds best.

Paul W - that sounds a great acheivement!  I hate tempo runs and a 5.10am start!  Wow!

My last run was this morning - but not until 7am.  I was following a 6 mile undulating route that I use a lot.  For some reason it felt really tough today - legs hurt, breathing was difficult and I even had to walk briefly at the top of one hill.image Don't know what was going on!

Incidentally - I did this run for the psychological test that was advertised on RW recently - anyone else doing this?

• Hmm I did but some nice off-roaders & have worn them for a half & a few Sunday runs so far (about the time the pain started........)

No run today apart from up & down 3 flight of stairs from a training room to the loo x3. 

• Bonus easy run into work as i was expecting to have the day at home.

5.14 miles in 38' 04" @ 7:24mm

Jogwatch 0

YT:  825, MT: 21