Calling all Virgin London Marathon 2010 hopefuls

Comments

• Me too. I'd love to strike a blow for us oldies by doing this.

I found reading last year's blogs inspirational and would love to be able to do that for others. The interaction must be pretty motivational for the participants and the people reading them.

It would also be amazing to meet Liz, Steve and Paul. Liz Yelling was at a Richmond Parkrun that I took part in but I never got a chance to speak to her. She seemed so modest and friendly though.

• I ran the London Marathon this year, and followed one of the Runners World schedules for about ten weeks. I stopped following the schedule as I started to pick up overtraining type injuries, but managed to get over them in time to line up for the race. I was interested to see you were recruiting for the Lucozade super six again, an article that I followed with interest last year, but noted that you have so far failed to point out that, inspite of all the expert training and advice, only two of the six were fit enough to race and of those only the one with the least punishing schedule finnished. All done with good intentions I know, but I think you should place greater emphasis on runners being individuals and not fitting generic schedules designed for professionals not us mere mortals. Sorry rant over... good luck everyone!
  • I put my entry in - am running london for 4th time and feel like i never really achieved  what i want - perhaps this will help,  I'm no record breaker!  i think i forgot to put my forum name on it though?!?! Fingers crossed though!!!
  • Brilliant opportunity.  Have submitted my entry....  Have not been lucky on the ballot 5 times now, but for the first time, was actually disappointed this year.  Fingers crossed.
  • I have applied - you have to apply to stand a chance and the best of luck to anyone else applying.

I look forward to reading about those who are successful.

• have applied. the threads were all inspirational last year and I will follow the 4h30 one this year whether I'm writing it or not!

(Liam FYI 3 of the 6 started this year.  think this rant has been done elsewhere already... and the 4h30 schedule was definitely tailored for the individual who ran it. )

• Wardi wrote (see)
    Clarification for all concerned please.. does 'registered member' of RW.co.uk etc mean existing members (with some history on the forums) or anyone who registers now so as to, opportunistically as it were, enter the competition??

A very good point I was thinking the same. I have been a runnersworld member for a while now but never posted on the forum really before. And in regards to the member who didnt put there name on entry form, I dont think this matters to much because, like myself not everyone has a forum nickname.

Good luck all

• Thanks to everyone who has submitted an application form so far. In terms of being a registered member, we just need you to have a site profile from the off. As in previous years, we're welcoming submissions from both regular forum users and those who are new to posting (but have lots to contribute...).

Hope that helps and good luck!

Catherine

• Catherine,

When are you likely to be notifying those who are successful and those who were less lucky?

I am sure it said on the e-mail but I seem to have missed it.

Thank you.

Graeme

• What an incredible opportunity! I've met Paul Evans too. He usually does a couple of training evenings for my local 10k (Grand East Anglia Run) - really nice bloke. I didn't get a ballot place, so I'm looking at doing another marathon instead (it will be my first); but who knows? I sent my application form in a little while ago. Good luck to everyone else.
  • the closing date is the 11th november and the shortlisted ones will be notified by the 13the november GC.

Its nice that the shortlisted ones get a prize even if they don't make the final 6

• Please return your application to us via email before midday on Wednesday, November 11 2009.

From all the entries we receive, we'll then whittle them down to a shortlist of between 18 and 24 runners across a variety of target times. If you are shortlisted, we'll contact you by telephone after the entry closing date. 

There will then be a second stage of selection. Information about the shortlisted runners will be published on runnersworld.co.uk and the RW community invited to vote for the final line-up. The final result will be announced in early December.

ts great that the process wil be pretty swift

• just back from a run wrote (see)
    Please return your application to us via email before midday on Wednesday, November 11 2009.

From all the entries we receive, we'll then whittle them down to a shortlist of between 18 and 24 runners across a variety of target times. If you are shortlisted, we'll contact you by telephone after the entry closing date. 

There will then be a second stage of selection. Information about the shortlisted runners will be published on runnersworld.co.uk and the RW community invited to vote for the final line-up. The final result will be announced in early December.

Oh dear well I wont win then

I couldnt get shortlisted for my own funeral

and even if I did I dont think Ive ever contributed anything useful on this forum perhaps about facebook farming or list about your favourite body part

• U gotto to be in it to win it- and you have to have hope.  Anythings possible!

•  

Well, I've applied too.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that......image

Good luck to everyone who has emailed in!

• just back from a run wrote (see)

U gotto to be in it to win it- and you have to have hope.  Anythings possible!

you havent done competitions on this website

if you registered 5 minutes ago live in the north and your called Colin youve a great chance otherwise forget it

• runningsnail wrote (see)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.....

exactly

Nothing gained

• Hi Colin wow did you win Saucony shoes recently I bet you did ?

If you win this Im coming to Devon and Im going to camp in your garden and play Bob Dylan songs really loudly through your letterbox

• I'm going to have a go. To me it's you've got nothing to lose.

Met Belly Boy Barnes before the marathon in April and he said you learn so much from some great people and is a fantastic experience.

• What I would do to get this opportunity, having not been sucessful getting a ballot place, it would be great not to be on the side lines and be part of such a wonderful Marathon so I have to give it another try hope my luck is in !
  • Dear RW,

I'd just like to say you had your chance to choose me last year and blew it.  This year, you can lick my balls.

Yours sincerely,

Coops

• I am so glad my name is not RW
  • did anyone get a confirmation email when they sent their application in ? i didnt get one , but my computer seems to be playing up- i wondered if it had been sent correctly or if i need to re send it?

thanks x

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Well I have applied - for a 3rd year running....
  • I'll be giving this a go, heck what have i got to lose, i've already had a ballot rejection.

Will apply on my lunchbreak in work on Monday.

• ok cba to read back (there goes my chances of winning) however been drinking so don't care!
    AND I already have a place through the ballot (nerr nerr na nerr nerrrrr) however will enter as the hotel would be nice image

sorry - I did say I'd been drinking.............

• I'm going for it again. And if I don't get it, I'm voting for you Gladrags! Wotsit was a great inspiration last year. Good luck everyone.
  • 've had 5 ballot rejections in a row nad the VLM will be on my birthday.........how can they not shortlist meimage