Is Running Adictive When.......

Last night we (Me & The Wife) were sat watching the tv and the conversation got onto was i going on a training run this morning, i said yes, i'm thinking of getting the bus into Tamworth and then running back via various points using the Tamworth to Polesworth Canal and various roads, You need help she replied, why can't you just do a route around where we live, i want to do something different, a different route, i used the site over at our friends over at Fetch to plan my 8.5 miles, and this morning she say your mad,So i was just wondering if anyone here has caught the bus, train or so on to a certain point i.e town, city or village then ran back, and most of all am i addicted to running.

Comments

• I drove to Hunstanton once which is about 50 miles from home and then ran back along the Norfolk coast path, had to then get my dad to take me back via car the next day to pick up my car. Also got the train to Great yarmouth and ran back to Norwich before.

sounds like you are addicted

• Yup.  Caught the tram in Sheffield to its terminus, went for a 12m run around the Loxley Valley in Sheffield then caught the tram back.  Brilliant. Though what the other people waiting for the tram back thought of the half naked runner is another issue (I changed into a fresh top when i finished) image.
  • I often travel for 50mins by train then bus to run around Richmond park. (In the summer leaving home before 6am) Nothing wrong with that.image 
  • At lunchtimes I occasionally used to catch a train to a neighbouring town, and then run the 10 miles back to work across the fields.

•  afjt wrote (see)

At lunchtimes I occasionally used to catch a train to a neighbouring town, and then run the 10 miles back to work across the fields.

You're either very quick or you get a very long lunch hour!
  • I do a fair bit, Steve, with the local trains and sometimes if I know people are driving somewhere, I ask them to drop me off on the way.  I don't use buses because I get a bit travel sick in them sometimes.
  • shocking..... i can't believe you are all mad enough to do something like that.....

(wanders off whistling to himself guiltily)

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Not exactly that, but I have driven around my LSR route placing water or energy drinks strategically then get home and run it.  That's an extra half-hour of prep, and then I might have to go pick up the bottles afterwards.

Ah, just remembered.  I have been driven into town for shopping, so got changed and stated I'd be running back!  That got some funny looks.

• Ratzer wrote (see)

Not exactly that, but I have driven around my LSR route placing water or energy drinks strategically then get home and run it.  That's an extra half-hour of prep, and then I might have to go pick up the bottles afterwards.

Why don't you just carry a waistbelt with drinks and gels?  Its greener that way and your could get more running in - what happens if you forget where you have left them?  i know I would.
  • I've only ever done this sort of thing a few times, I got my GF of a few years ago to drop me off in the middle of nowhere and then run back.  And it was the middle of nowhere!  And yes Steve, you are addicted, but isn't everyone on this site?!
  • Not as extreme as some, but I do occaisionally ride my bike to some beautiful places on the outskirts of Cambridge and run a different route, then cycle home again.  Thinking about getting the train a few stops down and running back though after reading this thread!!
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    PJAZ wrote (see)
    Ratzer wrote (see)

Why don't you just carry a waistbelt with drinks and gels?  Its greener that way and your could get more running in - what happens if you forget where you have left them?  i know I would.
    Yeah, PJAZ, you're right, and I've tried camelbaks and waistbelts since.  That was the early days, though I admit to recently doing it again, after discovering in the summer 'heat' that my camelbak wasn't lasting me more than about 16 miles.  Now that autumn is fully here it's not so much of a problem.
  • The weirdest look I ever got from friends was when I appeared from inside my tent at a festival - in all my running gear.  A very lovely 10 miles in the countryside around the festival perimeter.  (Latitude Festival, BTW.)  In my defense, it was the very first evening we'd arrived, and I did spend the rest of the weekend getting completely tw*tted.
  • Wej wrote (see)

afjt wrote (see)

At lunchtimes I occasionally used to catch a train to a neighbouring town, and then run the 10 miles back to work across the fields.

You're either very quick or you get a very long lunch hour!
    The latter - the benefits of flexi-time !!
  • No, but many times I've had my OH stop the car and let me out to run home. Also whenever my car needs to go in for service or other work I'll drive it there and run home, then run back to fetch it when it's ready (around 12 miles each way), and we take it in turns to run the 7 miles to the pool for swim training.

Before anyone asks why not both run to the pool, we need the car there to put the dogs in while we swim, they're not allowed in the pool!

• Thanks guys, i can now confirm that i am not the only one and that i am addicted
  • i've done similar

i was helping out at a local(ish) race, but my car was at the garage (it was meant to have been fixed by the weekend...) so my mum dropped me off (i took all my kit), i helped at the race and then ran the 10 miles home. did get some funny looks off people in pubs, and when i started one chap told me i was late for the race! but it was nice to do a different route.

• I occasionally get my OH to drop me off and run home.  It means I can explore new routes that are too far away for a circular route.  If I want to explore a new area further away I will drive there and run a cirular route back to the car.  It may be a sign of being addicted but also means you can go to different places and see different bits of countryside. 

I ran while on holiday this year and found it very relaxing and discovered lots of nice bits of countryside that I wouldn't have otherwise.

• I ran on holiday when we went to Butlins at Minehead, first time i went out, i got lost and what turned out to be a gentle plod a long the front of the promanade up and back and thinking this aint far enough i took a few turns and ended up getting lost round Minehead, i think i just about covered the whole town,  I got talkin to a red coat that evening, who turns out to be a runner and she found it funny, a couple days later i decided having woken up early as the walls of these challets are so thin to go for another run, i had gone about a kilometre and felt a tap on my shoulder as i stopped to stretch, was the same redcoat who i had spoken to the night previous, she then acompanied me on my run, didn't get lost.
  • On Fridays I cycle the 12.5 miles to work then run home, needless to say my workmates and wife think I'm mad.
  • I've tried this but generally find that the bike's top tube wears a hole in my shoulder on the way home.  It's a bit easier to ride it back instead. 

• I used to drop hire vans / cars back to a garage 12 miles away and then run home - the company would've picked them up from my house / work and they had a depot only 6 miles away.  They always looked at me funny when I walked in dressed inmy running kit. 

I've also taken my dog on the bus just so I can take her for a walk in a different place.  She loves it, especially on the top deck (but only if she can sit up the front). 

• I prefer getting a train or bus somewhere and run home, that way I have to do the full distance.  I really hate doing 'there and backs' - seeing the same scenary twice is boring - unless I close one eye the whole time!!
  • ha - you should do what my missus did once when I was training for my 1st Ironman...

I broke a wheel spoke on a long bike ride and had to stop as the wheel was knackered - this was about 10 miles from home so I called "international wife rescue" to come and get me.......she duly arrived, we loaded the bike into the car and she then threw me my running shoes - "you can run home from here" - and drove off.......

in hindsight she was right as it was a good training session

this weekend (weather dependant) she's dropping me off so I can do a 30 mile run home over the South Downs as training for a 45 miler I have coming up. she'll head off to go mountain biking around the half way point so will be on hand in case I need assistance at any point - that way she'll also get some bike training in as well
  •  I often run home from work (but it's only five miles).   My OH used to drive me somewhere depending on distance I was trying to achieve and leave me to run back home.  He's poorly now so I have to run round in circles again.

In the 70s I was fortunate enough to live in New York and I lived on East 35th Street.  I used to run to  Greenwich Village, have a donut and orange juice and run back home again.  There was only one type of ladies running shoe - Nike Signorita.  White with a red tick.  Happy days.

• Hubby and I drove to a reservoir about 20 (ish) miles away and ran around it. It was the first time we'd done 8 miles ever and decided a circular route around the reservoir would stop any cheating.... no short cuts.

It made a change and was a bit more hilly than we're used to.

We've also driven to Heacham and run into Hunstanton and back, it's not far, so tried to do it twice and discovered the impact of concrete sea defences on the legs and feet. Won't do that more than once again!!

Been trying to find some well lit evening routes to run from home as the local country park is off the menu except at weekends.

• All the time as I have no car!  I too hate out and backs and there are some good linear routes between railway stations as well and did LSR mara training that way, along canal banks which are often on railway lines and try to make sure the end point is near a pub too.  Often get the bus to Harrogate or Wetherby and run back to Leeds on trails.
  • In the past I got the bus to work and run home after work. Does that count?

At the moment, I am training for VLM and my short run days haven't got up to the 7 miles, so I walk home on my x-training days. Some time next year, my short run days will be over 7 miles so will consider running home from work then. Or I might continue to walk as good x-training.