Calling all Virgin London Marathon 2010 hopefuls

Comments

• Sore Toes

well if u don't enter, you certainly won't win !!

• micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see
    )

Sore Toes

well if u don't enter, you certainly won't win !!

In total agreement Mick - have to think postive image.  Although the only time I ever actually won anything was in a tombola years ago.  The ticket I picked entitled me to a bottle of gin but the gentleman looked at my 8 year old self and wouldn't pay up.  He wouldn't even give me the chocolates on the table as a replacement prize image.  Bitter, moi?  My mother was bitter at the time too - nothing to do with me being upset, she just loves a nice G&T imageimage

Good luck all - I'll be following whoever wins and piggybacking off the tips you may choose to pass on image
  • Here here mick- you've gotta be in it to win as they say! Going to enter and if not i'll be pinching tips like you runningsnail!
  • its easier in our house Mrs Gb runs so does junior and no.1 daughter also runs abit to keep fit
  • junior is a natural athlete hes good at everything (going to have to speak to the milkman) did a 5k in the summer no training 18 minutes

I nearly evicted him

• Pixie does he do any sport >?maybe you havent found the right one

we tried lots with Junior footie rugby tennis he hated them all, took him to Thai Boxing as a last resort

he turned into Bruce lee overnight now hes got the body of Greek God from all the training

Im really thinking he should get the boot

• 2 of my boys play hockey.....I had never thought of it as a boys sport but they love itimage.middle one runs as well ..much faster than me but not a natural.will always have to work at it........

after I started running I got my OH  into running but I won't let him enter this comp as its on my birthday not his so I would be gutted if he won it and I didn'timage

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    It's great to be able to share the sport you love with the people you love.  I cherish the days I can run with BR, although I have to say even when he slows it down and he certainly has to I'm still puffing like a billy goatimage
  • Captain - that's very kind, thank you. I reckon I was only doing in public what most of us do in private (so to speak.....)

Liverbird - No offence taken, promise! And you give me more credit than I deserve because although I had a fantastic build up to FLM and knocked spots off all my pb's I ran my worse marathon time of the three I had then done at 3.36!!! Most of us forumites (old and new) use the forum in exactly the right way, we debate and sometimes we disagree but the huge majority are never personal or offensive and that's just great.

Also, running is such an inclusive sport there is room for people who wish to run 3 times a week and those who wish to run 3 times a dayimage

• Oh well there goes the entry, now all I have to do is wait - maybe I should have changed my forum name first!

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sue C - are you aiming for sub 3:15 still and do you intend to follow the same schedule that you did this year?
  • Sent of my application! Fingers crossed.

Still somewhat of a running newbie, just done my first 1/2 Marathon, would be ace to get upto Marathon pace for next year!

• It is right to say how so called "normal" people do not get running.

I like the South downs marathon, 3 years ago i pulled a calf at 3 miles, walking at 6, crying at 8. When i eventually finished my wife congratulated me by saying "look at the state of you". She said "why didn't you  just pull out". I promptly explained that if you finish you only hurt for a few hours, if you pull out you hurt forever. She thinks i am a nutter.

My wife also thought that after that experience i would not do another marathon, normal just do not understand do they?

• It will be my first ever London Marathon, so my application is in. Could be my one and only chance to run a marathon to the best of my ability, so it's got to be worth a shot. Best wishes to everyone who has applied.
  • My application went in on page 1 of this thread, and reading through the whole thread it seems like the running could be easier than maintaining the right appearance on here!  But its still too good an opportunity to not have a go at.  I won a training day last year from this site with the Super 6 and Liz Yelling et al and it seemed even then they were benefitting from the professional mentoring, and the team spirit they had built up between the 6 of them.  Good luck to everybody entering, well 5 of you anyway!!
  • Hilly - I would love to get 3.15, I really really would. Whether I should get there in small steps or in one giant leap is another matter! I guess how my training goes in the next 6 months or so will give me a better indication of what is realistic but to be honest, my fingers got a little burnt this year when I fell short of what my times had suggested was possible.

Re training, a testiment to the support we received from Liz this year is the fact that both Mystic and I chose to use her coaching services after the competition had ended (for me, from September) Mine is predominantly base work at present with speed only recently introduced gently. So for April I guess I will be following a schedule which is specific to me. Hope it works!

• I'd urge anyone who wants to improve their marathon time to enter this contest.

I was one of the lucky winners last time round and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and I learnt a lot about training and racing .I wasn't so lucky when it came to actually running the marathon as I hurt my back with 2 days to go and had to pull out but the knowledge I gained will help me achieve my goals in the future. The training I did enabled me to set 5 mile, 10K and 1/2 marathon PB's.

It's a shame that with such a good prize will come all the usual comments. It's a competition that's open to everyone, new forumites and old, and hopefully there will be a mix of new and old in the starting line up. Just get involved and keep posting.

I'll be joining the sub 4 hopeful again. In fact I think I might enter again.

• John Ford 5, I totally agree with you, but who cares! the main thing is to participate as they say. I'd be interested to read what the comments would be about my big ups and downs in motivation and achievements!! 

I went for a run this morning (after a 2 weeks break because of the school holiday - yeah right... image)

with my boy's school's weekly cross-country run... I can tell you how humiliating it is to be outran by 9-year-olds!! There are luckily "unfit" kids - someone has to make sure noone gets lost, hey!! image

• Baring in mind the comments about newcomers only joining for the compition. It is interesting to see the number of posts that are recorded against everyones name. I feel like a new comer, but i have been a member for 7 yrs and only have a few posts.

Should i post something even if i have nothing to say. I have entered numerous compitions on here, never win of course, but what the heck.

Can anyone tell me what the event entry bit refers to as i only have 23 when i actually run about 30 a year?

• Sue C wrote (see)

Liverbird - No offence taken, promise! And you give me more credit than I deserve because although I had a fantastic build up to FLM and knocked spots off all my pb's I ran my worse marathon time of the three I had then done at 3.36!!! Most of us forumites (old and new) use the forum in exactly the right way, we debate and sometimes we disagree but the huge majority are never personal or offensive and that's just great.

Also, running is such an inclusive sport there is room for people who wish to run 3 times a week and those who wish to run 3 times a dayimage

Thank goodness I didn't offend you! I agree that running is an inclusive sport - almost everyone can do it at some level, although the number of people I know who say "I can't run a mile" is unbelievable! I always say "what - if you were being chased by a BEAR you reckon you couldn't run a mile?"image 

I run 5 times a week. That's plenty enough for me! I have been known to do two runs in a day, but not three! Do you REALLY do that?image No wonder you're going after 3.15! You'll break that barrier because you've got a positive attitude and a great mental strength!

I've just done my first ever brick session in training for my first triathlon and boy, does that make your legs feel weird!image

Dizzy - I have no event entries against my name because I don't enter races through RW online!

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good luck with that goal Sue C.  The first time I broke it I thought I'd be happy for the rest of my running days, but the goal post just moves a bit further, if you have my mentality that isimage  Unfortunately it gets a bit harder each year as I get a bit older.  However, I really will be truely satisfied if I break 3 just one more time!
  • Oh god thanks Dizzy, looked at my forum posts and its a sorry sight.  Am I allowed to say I also blog elsewhere or will you all hold that against me! 

So never mind a PB at my next 10 mile race (Hadleigh 10, anyone else doing it, entered through here so at least it counts as a stat, must remember to review it to add another stat!) I need to  add to my user stats, wonder what that will look like on the work's firewall!  Looks like the RW  site might join Facebook on the banned list!

• fat face wrote (see)

I'd urge anyone who wants to improve their marathon time to enter this contest.

I was one of the lucky winners last time round and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and I learnt a lot about training and racing .I wasn't so lucky when it came to actually running the marathon as I hurt my back with 2 days to go and had to pull out but the knowledge I gained will help me achieve my goals in the future. The training I did enabled me to set 5 mile, 10K and 1/2 marathon PB's.

It's a shame that with such a good prize will come all the usual comments. It's a competition that's open to everyone, new forumites and old, and hopefully there will be a mix of new and old in the starting line up. Just get involved and keep posting.

I'll be joining the sub 4 hopeful again. In fact I think I might enter again.

Hey Fat Face, bad that you had to pull out with 2 days to go.. i'd be proper gutted.

I've entered like has been mentioned its too good to turn down.

But you're right about the comments made about the new forumites. In a positive way say 100 new people join the site just to enter the competition and only 50 people actually hang round to carry on posting once they've been rejected then thats still 50 new people we can talk too (and how we know there are some people on here who can talk - not looking in anyones direction LB image)

• I think its a great way to bring new people into the forums...........But I still think that if they are going to get a chance they need to post around a bit now to get their character across...........if this is going to a vote then people will vote for people they know.....not sure how its going to be done exactly .........in finishing time groups or individual...........if they just post once by the time the vote comes along........I can't see them getting many votes..........

Hopefully they will have a way that will ensure at least one newbie will get throughimage

• There's likely to be one new-ish-comer. I just hope their grammar is good image
  • And they're unfamiliar with text speak.