Calling all Virgin London Marathon 2010 hopefuls

Comments

• Yes, another one studying the schedules here.

Has anyone worked out what races they would enter to fit in with the plan?

Week 1 and week 3 have XC races on the Saturday which would fit in with the Yorkshire XC Championships and then the Northerns.  Week 4 has a 10k which usually fits in with the Dewsbury 10k - fast and flat.  Week 6 has another XC race - would need to seek one out here or swap it for a hilly road race - maybe the Liversedge HM.  Week 8 has a 5m-HM race - I would choose the National XC championships for this as they're in Leeds this year, or perhaps the Snake Lane 10 if I felt in great shape.

The HM in week 10 would need looking at, then it's light on races from then on.  Basically an adapted Mike Gratton schedule which many on these forums have used to great effect in recent years.  I'm sure the mentors will be using their expertise to make minor tweaks as appropriate to the individual.

I do like the fact that the one I've been looking at is virtually devoid of rest days, needing the consistent commitment the programme requires.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    goldbeetle - SD marathon is a really nice one.  Tough, but worth it.  I've done it twice, got lost on the first one losing my lead, but regained it again at about 15 miles.  Think I covered over 27 miles for that oneimage
  • I did the second south downs you and BR did it, it started raining after about 2 hours and the bloke I was running with could not stop farting because of the SiS drink  we were given it was good fun in a strange way
  • BR I suppose for the half at week 10 in 3.30 schedule I was looking maybe Reading or Siverstone Bath Fleet I suppsoe they want you to get used to running in a big crowd and taking on fluids etc
  • Pixie the race goes from Arundle to Petersfield
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Surely you're used to running in a big crowd if you've done the Poole 10kimage
  • I'm new to online runners world but the hard copy version was a fantastic reference for advice when training for first marathon. have entered this competition it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity!!
  • ha Ive only done the Poole 10k  once now Im the man responsible for it not taking part
  • Can't hurt to at least apply!! Well seeing that i didn't win the Euro millions draw the other night!
  • Just noticed the thread, so have entered.  Tried last year and failed.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Better odds than the lottery or ballot or whatever it  was called this year.
  • Hi there,

Came looking for some inspiration today (Normally, I'm a lurker .... ) and found the competition. Didn't think too hard and plunged right in .... and then been pondering for the rest of the day.

I'm a total novice and know I haven't a hope in heck for being picked, but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and if I was fortunate enough to be selected I know it'd be the opportunity of a lifetime (or kill me!)

The thought of training hard enough and to have the target of actually finishing something as amazing as the VLM, wowsers ...even if I don't get selected (ha ha!) .. I will be watching those that have with great envy and cheering from the side image

But, could you just imagine, being picked ... eek! Having someone to give you a training goal, and then having the whole forum watching your every move ... eek ... I'd just have no excuses .... Oh my, just the thought terrifies and excites me at the same time (and no, I haven't told my DH ... !!)

• Goldbeetle, since you've tried South Downs you should definitely go for Neolithic.  Great event!  I've had the honour of coming last twice *G*

I've not put in my entry yet.  Am I the only one doing lots of fiddling and re-writing to get it just right?

Zed42, I should imagine they'll want a beginner, so no harm in trying!

• I'm in, if not the hat goes on the fire !!!
  • It just had to be done - I could not resist it.  But like Rowan Green Faster at Forty I'm still fiddling with words.  Here goes..........
  • Ang12Ang12 ✭✭✭

I've decided to give it a go too!

Too good a chance to miss.

• just spent a very long time reading through the forum and firstly just to say good luck to everyone this would be an amazing opportunity  !  I can only keep my fingers and toes crossed and wait in anticipation for the final results!

I  am new to writing on the forum and thats not to say that I don't spend  hours reading thru the forums whether its to seek advice on injuries, reading up on events etc!   I also have introduced so many of my friends to runners world  so I would like to think that other users don't  get fustrated with newbies to the forum as everyone deserves a chance !  Don 't  they ????

So best of luck to everyone whoever the lucky six will be I look forward to reading your blogs or if their is a miracle writing my own ! 

• Tomorrow marks my two year anniversary of when I started to run.  I have done 175 runs and clocked up 998.7 miles.  I had a really bad ankle twist at the weekend at the Parkrun and have sat staring at my ankle willing it to get better for 3 days (as has the dog.)  No dice.  I've missed my 1000 in 2 years by a couple of days. 

It's not really a special occasion or a milestone or anything at all and I wouldn't have known I was that close if I didn't look at my log when I was entering this compition, but now I know , I am depressed.  How cruel is that? 

I wonder how many miles you clock up if you stick to the training schedule? and how many miles different it is according to what target time you set your goal at? 

Happy Running Aniversay to me, image

• Good point about what races to enter to fit into the schedule, i almost mentioned it yesterday, then i thought, don't it will put the mockers on your chances. Is mockers a real word?

I like Silverstone, i have done it a few times, some say it is boring but i think it is a good race for the getting used to the mental challenge for marathon newcomers. By that i mean there is not a lot to look at apart from the runners around you for 13 miles. It can be cold though as it is a bit open, got hit by hailstones by the bucket load one year. They have runners world pacers there as well.

Bramley do a good 20 miler, but one of my all time favourites is the Meon Valley plod. 20ish miles cross country. Sometimes it can be very cold, very wet and very muddy, it is brill!

• Am I allowed to restart the thread from yesterday?  Active members. So looking at the list of active members over the last 30 days I am 9392.  Doesn't bode well for selection in this competition.  And yet in the  all time list I am 5821!  And thats despite having been a bit active the last couple of days.

Flake, I'm betting that is 998.7 miles more than you run the two years before and thats the point to cheer.  And the dog loves you.

• John I'm down to third today.going down all the time.have you tried my tipimage

Flake hope the ankle clears soon.. don't rush back though until it's right. The park runs are really good aren't they.hoping to do my local one this week.

Now people have talked about writing and rewiting their application i think i might have rushed mine a bit...........It must have been one of the first in and i think i kinda garbled a bit.......I can now think clearly of what I should have written......always the caseimage

I'm off to try an interval sesion on my own for the first time.........got to get prepared just in caseimage

• John - the post count is not a factor (or so it appears from previous years).  The competition is open.  That may upset some, but won't upset others.  It's a free world - love or hate it!  Mind you if you get in and I don't I will get pi$$ed off image
  • Seren, oh yes, reviewed some socks, shoes and a Garmin so far!  Not shifted me a dot, perhaps there's a time delay.  Enjoy the run, they are a tough one on your own, I sometimes use a treadmill for them when I'm at the gym then I know the speed will stay there unless I have the audacity to change it!
  • John, I think it changes overnight,

Seren, thanks for the tip, I have gone up as a result, although nowhere near your dizzy heights.  At least I am not near the bottom any more.  Like you I rushed my application in, and probably with a bit of reflection would have worded it differently.  Do not know what they are looking for in the applications anyway, so it is difficult to know what to put that will push the right buttons for them.  Anyway the wait will soon be over.

I fear that living north of the border I am less likely to get picked anyway, these competitions usually seem to favour people further south.

• maybe they should be put into regions instead of finishing times........then the rest of us could have a chance.image

I had to inform my OH about the reviews or otherwise when he saw I was top he would think I do nothing all day but read and post on the forumsimage

right delayed long enough .its time to trainimage

• PSC likewise I guess, but only for a short time, like the Lottery on a Saturday you hope to win, you only can if you enter, you're jealous of the new millionaires, but at the same time you wish them the best.

• seren nos - dyn haearn wrote (see)

John I'm down to third today.going down all the time.have you tried my tipimage

*takes baton back from Seren and Lurker and runs with it*

How did that happen? I've been a good girl this week! Hardly been on at all! image My mouse is broken and I'm on Miss LB's PC!

I have only done a few reviews. I reckon it's my impressive running that gets me number one spot...image

• Ah so running helps does it, what sort of PB pushes you up the list, does it have to be a marathon or will other races help?  I'm on a rest day today does that drop me back down?  When I answered that email that dropped in my inbox from those kindly people at RW and Lucozade, I just never realised it would be this difficult!  Though back to my Lottery musing, the odds seem fractionally better.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭

I  wouldn't be concerned about being in the top of the most active members as  I'm sure as long as the people chosen can get on here each day to report and write a detailed blog that should be fine.  Afterall the training will need to be done too.  I get up and train at 6am, then post on here while having breakfast, I then go to work and occasionally will post if I have a break during the day and the time to get on, like now and then I go home do more training, do some other stuff and post again in the evening.  Nobody could be expected to blog all day! 

• Oi Hilly - hands off my top spot! imageimage

The previous winners haven't blogged all day, don't worry. Some of the threads are still going if you wanted to have a look at them to see what sort of thing they've done. Wotsit's thread was very good and I enjoyed following her progress because she was the closest time wise to what I would've wanted to do. That's why they have a spread of times and abilities. Hopefully we can all identify with the journey of one of the runners.