Callibrating polar footpod

My footpod was very accurate until I cnaged my shoes. After marathon number 2 the distance logged was over 28 miles. recalibrated it ( over 1 mile on a track) so I tried to recalibrate it.

It is still off a bit. 1 mile over marathon distance and about 500 m over 10 miles.

I dont think the instructions in the manual are very clear and maybe I am not going about it right..........

I wear my footpod on the left shoe. so on the start line - if I have both feet on the line- which one do I move first? The one with the footpod or the other one? I guess one step/ pace woul be enough to throw it out over a long distance. I have been advised to get a garmin but in all honesty I am happy with the hrm and all it does except for the minor annoyance that I am training shorter distances that I think and also running slower.

Comments

• Crikey, how accurate do you want !? .1 of a mile over a marathon is fantastically accurate. 

I doubt you would get accuracy greater than you're getting with a Garmin or other device. Both footpods and GPS are inaccurate in their own ways.

• I think it says 1 mile, not .1 of a mile...
  • I find I need different calibration factors for different paces.  So maybe getting it correct over a mile isn't going to work on longer runs/
  • yes, sorry  1 mile over 26image

Hi again Mr P. ( waves)

Thanks soretoes. its nice to know that. I will live with that then if different running paces change the reading as I will never always run the same pace.
     I also calibrate it on a track and I never run on a track. But I dont know how to measure the distance otherwise.

But when recalibrating it - which foot would be best and most accurate to move first?

• I also find shoes differ - recently changed from Mizuno Wave to Adidas Supernova Sequence and had to change the calibration factor from 1.12 to 1.0. I can't believe I run that differently in different shoes - maybe its the position of the footpod on the laces.

Does your polar software allow 2 calibration settings (shown as Shoe 1 and Shoe 2) ? - if so you could have 2 settings for fast/slow runs - but then you need to remember to change it before going out which is a bit of a faff.

• NO didnt see any settings for multiple shoes. I always use the same ones though.

When you callibrate , which foot do you move off the line first- the one with the footpod or the other one?image

• Which Polar unit/footpod do you have?
  • If you've got the RS800, you can calibrate it as you go along - personally I'm not particularly fussed about distance being absolutely accurate, but I know the first mile point on several routes from my home and calibrate it there.  I get consistent results from doing this - eg a measured 8 miler is never out by more than 0.1 mile either way.

You need to set the watch to the (rough) sort of pace you're running and the sort of terrain you're running over.  A very hilly 8 miler requires a different calibration from a very flat run.

I dare say the GPS advocates will point out this as being a major disadvantage of footpod technology, but for me it works better than the GPS models that are currently available: far better battery life (my Garmin Forerunner was often dying on me mid-run), no problems with signal reception (dense forest and steep hillsides don't seem to work for GPS), and good HR monitor functions (IMHO).

• PS how to measure calibration distance - either an accurately set up bike computer or a mapping programme such as Tracklogs or a webapp such as MapMyRun.  If you never run on a track but use it for your calibration, you will get inaccurate results.
  • think its an rs100?

Didnt really have anywhere to compare the distance with. I thought mapmyrun would be too vague unless you had a definite starting point and finish. Still, if it varies with paces and flat v hills etc. I will just accept it as it is and work with it rather than fiddling with it.

Thanks guys