Broken the 10 min mile barrier - just!!

Very excited just done a club run tonight and have been promoted from beginners to intermediates and done 4.65 miles at 9:56 pace, whoop whoop!! sorry just had to share this with people who would appreciate it as husband not that impressed, lol

Comments

• YAY!!! WELL DONE!

Just out of interest - how long have you been running with club and do you think it's the club running that's helped you shave off from your time?
  • Kick the husband. He no good. image

Just whoop a bit louder and trade hubby in for a puppy - you'll have a great training partner and someone who'll always be impressed with you.

btw - training runs are always slower than races - have you done any timed miles yet?

• Have been running with the club for a year now, didn't do any running before that so still a newbie! Have done a few races mostly recently a half marathon in 2:23 which near on killed me!! Stepping up the training now though as have a place in the london marathon so no more chatting on a club night, taking it seriously now. We have a fartlek night every other week at club and that has definitely helped.

Like the puppy idea bikermouse image
  • Congratulations image

I've been trying to pluck up the courage to join my local running club, and wondered what standard/pace I needed to get to before they just laughed me away ... image

• Me too Zed42. Did a race this weekend and saw some people from local running club zoom off into the dust at the start.

Very well done with the PB Troublesome knees!!

• Well done!!!.

I think I am a perenial beginner, even though I can do 10k in 58mins!!! (9:2x min/mile)

• Well doneimage  and good luck with marathon training.  No problem about coming on here to tell us of your success and great news - that's what we're here forimage

Zed/twila - give your clubs a go - most are really friendly and will welcome you.  Some have specific beginner's groups.  If you ask them what they're "minimum requirements" are you'll get a feel for them.  Mine was just the ability to run for 40mins non-stop.

If they're not friendly when you call, don't bother - try another one!

It's a great way of pushing yourself (making you run out of your comfort zone!), great way to meet other runners, and if you can only run in the evenings, when it's dark, at least you're not on your own.

PS Troublesome - you might even be able to trade in your OH for a more "runner-friendly" version at the clubimageimage

• Well done troublesome, it is always encouraging to break through a barrier like that.  I have never run with a club as their meeting times for training do not fit into my busy schedule, but I am sure the support and encouragement you receive are good for developing your running.
  • wow congrats, and well done on the half marathon! i've been running on and off for about 8 months now and the furthest i've ever run is 8k!  Really want to do a 10K route in a couple of weeks, waa!
  • Zed/ Twila I agree with CJBA, go for it, there are always a smaller group of runners who just like to have a chat whilst they run. Must admit when I first saw our elites I was amazed that normal people could run that fast!
    10k in 58mins is fab Danowat!!

Now all I need to do is build up to 10 miles at 10 min pace imageIf there is one thing I'm learning from this running malarky is that there is always a new target to reach, lol

Rosay - do the 10k, you'll do the extra 2k no problem with the adrenalin of the race.
  • TK:  Well done. IMHO everyone should join a club. Every novice we get makes huge leaps forwards once they have run with us for a few weeks. Not only do you get company in a club there is a lot of great advice freely available on training, injuries, events, nutrition etc.

Sure there are many speedy ones at the front but all the clubs I have run with have at least three different groups based on ability.

• Well done Troublesome Knees! you have every right to be pleased with yourself.

I'm not a member of a club but when i have entered events 10k's etc then looked at the results i have noticed that alot of club runners are slower than me.

The whole club thing has put it off for me in the past, have been to club meets for other things and find them very cliquey (if you know what i mean)

Glyn.

• did another good run on thursday on my own at just over 10 min miles but today back to normal, managed 11 miles but sooo slow!! I guess at least I did it image