Threads at the top!

sorry but I do!

The whole of idea of one thread deemed important enough to be at the top of the page is kind of elitist.

Sure it makes it easier to find but really, how hard is it to look for something?

Sorry if this offends those that have made stickies, no offence taken, I just wonder why it's so necessary?

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Que?

What do you mean?  Have I missed something?

• Wilkie the threads at the top of tri have 'stickies!' as in someone has asked RW to make them stay at the top, hence the certificate looking symbol that makes them special.

They will remain there until requested that they loose their stickiness and then they will fall down the list unless someone posts on them.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Oh, I see. 

So why don't people just put a bookmark on the threads that they are following?  Swat I do!

• I agree with you AL, there isnt really any justification, we've managed perfectly fine for years without them.

If the threads important enough it will stay at the top on its own.  If its not important and so deemed to need to be sticky its just getting in the way. 

Natural selection.

Runners World please remove the stickies.
  • image I hadn't even noticed is this just on some web servers?
  • If we had a spitroast thread, that'd be quite sticky image

• got to agree with you on this one AL......if you want to keep it on the top then post on itimage
  • I can't see what the problem is - if you don't like what they're about, they're easy enough to ignore....

many fora use stickies - they have their uses
  • What the dickens just happened there? wrong thread.

• Want to place a bet on who emails Catherine to get this stickied? image
  • when i see it at the top I keep thinking that there is something new on there only to see no-one has posted for days............

• But you can look at the date and see when the last post was?
  • FB, or those in support of stickies please tell me why they are deserved in the place? What's their justification?
  • I didn't say the have any justification AL, or am supporting them - I just don't see a problem with them!

• But soon there could be LOADS of stickies.... what's to stop everyone asking for them??
  • AL - and your point is??? it's down to RW to police it, not us!
  • fat buddha wrote (see)
    AL - and your point is??? it's down to RW to police it, not us!

fair point.

I just find them annoying! But yeah, each to their own I guess!image

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    it's down to RW to police it, not us!

Don't completely agree with that FB. When I first joined another forum that allows stickies, there was 25 of the suckers. Some of the threads hadn't been posted on for months. Now there's four. image

If people request something to be stickied i.e the Manchester social, someone should request the thread to be unstickied after the event. We know RW don't have much time to maintain the forums now so expecting they will unsticky threads at the appropriate time isn't going to work.

• Just another thing though... on this tri section we have one sticky for a social and another a for training thread.

But there are LOADS of threads about training and loads about socials!!!

Am I the only one that sees this??

Arghhh ignore me, I'm just having a moan about it! It's not really a problem just annoying!

• LN - we're in the very early days of stickies on here but can understand your point as some other forums I go on are covered with the things. let's see what happens eh?
  • I agree with AL. If the training thread contained an up to date list of training dates and no waffle it would make sense for it to be at the top. If it's just a load of banter then I don't see the point. It doesn't bother me - it's just a bit image
  • Pmsl, training a bit slack AL ?
  • Iron Rose wrote (see)
    Pmsl, training a bit slack AL ?

oh sorry did I offend you IR?

Don't quite see what my training has got to do with anything but if you wanna make it personal, go ahead....

• arctic lady wrote (see)

someone has asked RW to make them stay at the top

Yep that was me, I thought it would be a good idea to have a 'noticeboard thread' so people could say 'I am going to do blah blah blah on so and so date, anyone interested. Then they could go off and start a thread about it which they could then bookmark. A kind of 'daily notice of anything going on' thread. Of course like all threads it got hijacked but it still is serving a purpose in that people can look to see what (if) is happening local to them.

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    I agree with you AL, there isnt really any justification, we've managed perfectly fine for years without them.

If the threads important enough it will stay at the top on its own.  If its not important and so deemed to need to be sticky its just getting in the way. 

Carl that is crap, there is always a constant flow of people moaning about not being able to find threads and then some good soul boinging them. Threads get lost very quickly and lots of people do not have the time like you to trawl through forums looking for things.

Can't see the point in having the homage thread as a sticky though!!! Those who are going will be up to date with each other anyway. I can see how that would colour the outsiders point of view when people come on here and say about cliqueyness.

• I asked for the sticky on the Manchester social thread,  I have paid my own money to hire the room and I want it to be on the front page to prompt those that added thier names 3 months ago and have forgotten.  Those people may also not read past the front page of Tri and may not think to check.

Its simple to check the date of last post and see if its current.

Its easy to ignore a sticky thread if it does not interest you.

Once the social has been and gone I shall request that it is unstuck.

The comment I believe the Admiral was making was not a personal one just inferring that perhaps you had a little time on your hands to come up with this one   image

• AndrewSmith wrote (see)
    arctic lady wrote (see)

someone has asked RW to make them stay at the top

Yep that was me, I thought it would be a good idea to have a 'noticeboard thread' so people could say 'I am going to do blah blah blah on so and so date, anyone interested. Then they could go off and start a thread about it which they could then bookmark. A kind of 'daily notice of anything going on' thread. Of course like all threads it got hijacked but it still is serving a purpose in that people can look to see what (if) is happening local to them.

Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
    I agree with you AL, there isnt really any justification, we've managed perfectly fine for years without them.

Carl that is crap, there is always a constant flow of people moaning about not being able to find threads and then some good soul boinging them. Threads get lost very quickly and lots of people do not have the time like you to trawl through forums looking for things.

Can't see the point in having the homage thread as a sticky though!!! Those who are going will be up to date with each other anyway. I can see how that would colour the outsiders point of view when people come on here and say about cliqueyness.

Who was the last person to moan about not being able to find a thread?  I cant remember?

Chances are the thead they will be looking for wont be one of the stickies anyway.

Ive used other forums where they have lots of stickies, its 8loody annoying.  Yes I can agree there is a time and justification for some (RW v USA certainly isnt one).

Yes RW decide on the stickies as reaction to people asking for them, I just question the point.  If its important enough it will stay on top because people are interested.  If a thread has been sticky for a weeks and has few posts its onbvious it doesnt deserve the sticky status.  I still dont see the point, natural selection works fine.