Slygo

By special request I have decided to write my own account of the next five and a bit months, minus the help of Lucozade, VIP accommodation and first class travel, not to mention doing without expert coaching.

For those of you who don't know me I'm Andy Sly, 45 years old and a "veteran" of 31 marathons, five of which have been in London. I began my marathon career in 2003 in London after luckily getting accepted through the ballot, and after that experience I set my stall out to complete 50 marathons before I get to 50 years old.

My marathon debut wasn't at all bad managing 3:21, though my next effort was a 3:36 in Blackpool since then injuries apart there has been a steady and sometimes dramatic improvement, down to my now pb of 2:48 in Paris this year, in fact I think my last 8 mara's have been sub 3's.

Although I take my training fairly seriously, it is all self taught and pretty fluid and was hoping to get some expert coaching from the competition but alas it was not to be. My methods can't be too bad as I help with the training of some of the runners at my local club, and all of the group I look after have had very successful years and all have achieved pbs in every distance they have tackled, though I do get moaned at frequently, especially when 6 mile steadies turn into 8 mile quicks! It's nice to be flexible!

My downfall for those who don't know me too well is my allegedly poor dietary habits whereby I almost always have steak & kidney pie and chips as a pre-race meal and enjoy a few pints into the bargain.

Anyway that's a brief intro, I will attempt to follow this through in competition with the other six.

Comments

• Vegetables are your friends!!!

I'm not sure why this needs to be in competition with the Super six - people who are following training logs will do so regardless of stuff like that.  I would say good luck with training, but with the number of marathons you've done and your times, this is clearly old hat for you!

• Go Andy! Will be trying to keep up with you (in spirit of course, could never do so in reality)
  • Vegetables are your friends, too true I do like garden peas with my pie !  image
  • nom wrote (see)

Vegetables are your friends!!!

I'm not sure why this needs to be in competition with the Super six - people who are following training logs will do so regardless of stuff like that.  I would say good luck with training, but with the number of marathons you've done and your times, this is clearly old hat for you!

When I said in competition this is meant to be in fun.
  • andy sly wrote (see)
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    andy sly wrote (see)
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    andy sly wrote (see)
    I guess the chances weren't great but i really thought I'd get shortlisted, bugger !

Not you again Andy?image

It was criminal you didn't get picked last time, never mind this year!

I hope they choose a worthy speed demon if they're not having you honey.

Cheers Laura, yeah me again, very deflated this evening but what the hell it made me more determined to do well this year and it will do for next April.

My feeling is that the judges just couldn't see how they could deflect me away from my nutrional plans of beer and pies, and as such I would blow away the pasta - water myth  image

You're MY super sixer Andy! Blog it anyway!

I like peeps who can run quick marathons on beer and pies! imageimage

Vicki: Graceless Whippet wrote (see)

I wish I could run quicker on beer & pies, but alas I think it's gonna have to come down to the healthy stuff. 

Lets not mention last night's pizza image

Though it was abuse-your-body-Friday - I am pretty good for the rest of the week image

Andy - you could start a thread called "Andy: the 7th super sixer, the fish that got away"  I'd happily subscribe image

I might just do that, might be a bit dull though.

Monday: Ran 6 miles ate chips, drank lager
    Tuesady Ran 8 miles ate curry, drank guinness
    Weds : Ran to toilet

This is why the thread began.
  • Aaahhh food advice......

I had been a bit worried about the training because I'm a really picky eater, and everything I've read seems to be on about the proper nutrition. image

How important is this?  Can I still eat some of the rubbish I like?

• andy sly wrote (see)
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    andy sly wrote (see)
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    andy sly wrote (see)
    I guess the chances weren't great but i really thought I'd get shortlisted, bugger !

Not you again Andy?image

It was criminal you didn't get picked last time, never mind this year!

I hope they choose a worthy speed demon if they're not having you honey.

Cheers Laura, yeah me again, very deflated this evening but what the hell it made me more determined to do well this year and it will do for next April.

My feeling is that the judges just couldn't see how they could deflect me away from my nutrional plans of beer and pies, and as such I would blow away the pasta - water myth  image

You're MY super sixer Andy! Blog it anyway!

I like peeps who can run quick marathons on beer and pies! imageimage

Vicki: Graceless Whippet wrote (see)

I wish I could run quicker on beer & pies, but alas I think it's gonna have to come down to the healthy stuff. 

Lets not mention last night's pizza image

Though it was abuse-your-body-Friday - I am pretty good for the rest of the week image

Andy - you could start a thread called "Andy: the 7th super sixer, the fish that got away"  I'd happily subscribe image

I might just do that, might be a bit dull though.

Monday: Ran 6 miles ate chips, drank lager
    Tuesady Ran 8 miles ate curry, drank guinness
    Weds : Ran to toilet

This is why the thread began.
  • My methods can't be too bad as I help with the training of some of the runners at my local club

What are your methods?

• Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Steak and Kidney Pie image

Count me in then !
  • image OMG.......You're doing sub 3 marathons on pie and chips?   I am so jealous.

• pie, chips and peas - don't forget the veg factor image
  • Do vegetarian pies count? Maybe I need a diet change for my next one... image
  • Just hang on while I bookmark this thread! image

I'll buy you a bottle of Lucozade too Andy! If we all buy you one, you'll never notice you weren't a chosen sixer! image

Except perhaps with the exception of the lack of professional advice!

Well......... as a pro, I shall offer you my pearl of wisdom.

When the gun goes bang, start running. When you see Lizzie's gaff on the Mall, put a birrova sprint on and smile for the camera after 26 miles!

Then have a beer.image

• LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
    When you see Lizzie's gaff on the Mall, put a birrova sprint on and smile for the camera after 26 miles!

That dear LB is everything i need to know in preparation for my first London marathon.  It means i can have my husband waiting at mile point 25.5 with my lippy and hairbrush.   With tips like that this thread is going to be so hot.  image

Now.... how do you bookmark a thread?

• You go down to the bottom of the page LWJ and there is an option "Add to my bookmarks"

Then you can't lose him!

I'm only following Andy because I'm about the same pace as he is....

Eating a pie that is.image

• Andy, 50 by 50 - great goal! You're bookmarked. I'm wondering if it's unrealistic to think I could run my first marathon next year on a similar diet. Substituting your pies for apple pies, beer for wine and peas for ice-cream image. That'd satisfy the sweet tooth... might not help me through the wall though...!!

• When I first started this running malarky I got hugely addicted to Ice Cream, go for it.
  • Yeti,

As for veggie pies the politically correct will accept this as a viable option as it does retain the all important pastry factor, but ........could the key be the red meat and gravy.
    Interesting debate, we could form some different experimental groups, Veggie pies v steak and kidney v chicken and mushroom then put an article in the magazine.

• Liverbird,
    Love the easy marathon thinking, turn left at Liz's and go for it, love it, just love it.
  • I'm obsessed with schedules, I'll write you one image. You'll never know it wasn't written by a proper coach except that I'll factor in the pie eating and attending of footie matches. Perfect.

• I've just had my abacus out and calculate there are 23 weeks to the London marathon. Just 160 sleeps to go. Focussed training will begin on 2nd January or maybe the 3rd dependant on hangovers and football fixtures. But for now my time will be spent ticking over and doing the last few races of the season, which include the Newcastle marathon next Sunday, Clowne half on the 29th, and Edwinstowe 6th December, so 3 races on the bounce with decreasing distances.

• I was on nights last night so after going to bed for around 4 hours I was woken by the phone and Becky from our club asking if I was running today and could she join me. Fifteen minutes later we are on the road, Becky was struggling with a bit of a hangover and kept apologising for being slow but we still did 6 and a bit miles at around 8min/miling. Suited me to be honest as I've had a pretty intensive week with 49 miles before today 90% of which would have been 7 min mile ish.
    Will just do a couple of easy runs this week plus maybe a short interval session on the treadmill at work on Thursday.

• Plan - 16th November

Mon: Club Run - approx 7 miles - easy pace with club
    Tues: Steady run of 5 or 6 miles
    Weds: Rest
    Thurs: Treadmill Intervals - 40 mins - approx 6 miles
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: Rest or possibly 2 or 3 miles at 7:15 ish.

Sun 22nd Newcastle Marathon

• Surely turn right at Lizzies ?

and ... they have a marathon in Newcastle ?
  • andy sly wrote (see)
    Liverbird,
    Love the easy marathon thinking, turn left at Liz's and go for it, love it, just love it.
    Welsh Alex wrote (see)
    Surely turn right at Lizzies ?

Oh come on, please.  This will be my first London, which way do i go at Lizzy's?   I just know it, i'm going to have to run with my SatNav. image