Slygo

Comments

• I'm indeed near Newcastle - actually in a very windy Bill Quay at the mo!

Sunderland parkrun has been going for 5 weeks now image It's at Silksworth - on the Sunderland Harriers 5k route. 

It's deffo worth a go, I've done 2 so far (missed some because of work and illness), there's some canny banter and the routes not too bad - bit of a hill at the finish.

• Morning

My friend lives in Silksworth, have to see if he has been doing the Parkruns.

My aim is to get below the 2 hour mark on the HM. This year for me, it was all about getting my 10K time below 1 hour, which is now a distant memory. I am hoping that the Brass Monkeys will give me a good time for 2010. Up to now I have 3 HM's planned for next year, the aforementioned BM, Liverpool HM and, hopefully, GNR.
  • Andy - Many thanks for the suggestion, I had been thinking that I had to do more longer runs.

I've adapted and extended last years FLM plan from 18 weeks to 24 weeks and have included 3x20 miles, 3x18, 1x17, 3x15 and 4x13 runs. Hopefully that will help without being too much and knackering the old legs!!

• andy sly wrote (see)

When are you next likely to race either a 10km or half. Pick one of each preferably a 10km first then work towards them.

Basic 3 staples of your and to my mind everyones weekly training should be a longer run of slower than race pace, a less than race distance run of around or slightly slower than race pace, and some speedwork.

Example for a 56 min ( roughly 9min/mile)10km runner.

Long run:   8 miles at 9:30 pace.
    Race Pace: 5 miles at 9:00-9:10 pace.
    Speedwork: Interval session - 5 min warm up, 6 sets of 3 mins at 9:45, 2 mins at 8:30 then 5 min warm down. Gradually build the intervals until doing 10 sets.

I reckon I could do those paces! image I like this thread already. No idea who most of the SS chosen few are! DO you think us regulars have offended RW sufficiently to never get a chance then?

And how on earth are we supposed to choose between Hash and Rio?image

• Well having just had a cursory glance at the short listed peeps I notice they are mostly unheard of, to me anyway. And runalot 119 posts !, bargoed 216 posts of which i'll bet 90% have been on the supersix thread, seems a bit wrong that regular contributers get overlooked for  people who are just competition enterers!
  • I'm confused that one (shortlisted) guy has come on there asking for votes with his FIRST post!

So he has NEVER ever posted! image

• RunLikeTheWind(www.justgiving.com/Get-Kids-Going) wrote (see)

I love it, you rebel Andy ! 

<<ring, ring>>  "RW here, we've been trying to get hold of you all day Mr Sly.  You have been selected to join our Virgin Super Socks team so we must ask for your total discretion in not posting anything til we say so - specially details of your legendary 'Night before a Marathon meal'.  In exchange we will send you a year's supply of free running socks which we will expect you to wear at every event and training session from now until race day.  We apologise for the design on the socks -  We would like to emphasise that this was not our error - we asked the suppliers to provide 'snowy white' socks and as you will see, they sent 'Snow White' socks. We hope this will not affect your running adversely.  Please post a photo of yourself wearing the socks by way of confirmation that you accept this offer of a place on our very special team. Thank you."

Makes mental note to find snow white socks ! Would they come in a size 9 you think ?
  • The photo team have just rung and asked for me to be pictured wearing just the socks whilst holding a pint in one hand and a pie in the other for next months RW.
  • Vicki: Graceless Whippet wrote (see)

RLTW ...*giggles*  The thought had crossed my mind too

Andy - can see where you're coming from for the less than race distance @ race pace runs.

My week looks something like this:

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Club road session, Hillwork, Time Trial, Intervals - all pretty much flat out (I work really hard here)

Wednesday: Shorter 6 mile easy run

Thursday: Clubtrack session, anything from 300s to 1 mile reps or pyramids. same as Tuesday pretty much flat out

Friday: rest

Saturday: 5k park run (race pace), or 2 to 3 miles with the dog.

Sunday: Long run (16 to 20 miles at the mo, but usually around 10 for half training)

I'm thinking that my club sessions and Saturdays are spot on.  I could prolly work on my mid week run to go a fair bit quicker, and probably longer on my Sunday run at a slower pace.

Not sure there is anything amiss there, as you are doing the easy day, hard day thing. Maybe your two club nights are both aimed more at shorter distances, and you could do a quickish 6 or 7 instead of the shorter stuff. Or even alternate by doing track one week and 7 quick miles the next ?? 

• I'm going to have a go at some parkruns Vicki.

Once this bloody SF heals that is....image

For now I shall content myself with pie.

• LB - Where's the nearest parkrun?

I've got to find a way to help my distance. I tend to fade quite quickly after 10 miles. I have always been more of a sprinter than a distance runner.

I have found that since I joined my running club, my distance has started to improve. I have only been a member for about 8 weeks, so I hope it continues to help, but I think I need to look at some sort of structure. Right now, what I normally do is;

Mon - Circuit training
    Tue - running club
    Wed - Rest
    Thur - Running club or circuits
    Friday - Quick 4 miles
    Sat - rest
    Sun - LSR.

I am getting a 305 for Christmas, so hopefully that will help too.
  • lfc runner wrote (see)
    LB - Where's the nearest parkrun?
    Manchester I believe.
  • I'd run just to get out of Manchester.
  • Thanks Mr K. Manchester is the closest.
  • I'll get my gun. You'll be fine LFC! image
  • parkruns are cool - that's where I started - at Cardiff in feb (had to take a detour to wee behind a tree after taking the drink loads of water before you run advice too seriously!)

I can reveal - that I'm on the lucky six to be shortlisted- on lunch break from work so can't say much now - but I will slog my guts out to improve and to share everything I learn from there and from people like you guys on the forum.

I'll be online properly tonight - so please anything you need to know (e.g. re ipod runners,!!! or other stuff) just give me a shout

• http://www.sockshop.co.uk/cms_media/images/img_0050.jpg

Pretty slipper socks for pretty feetCotton rich for comfortWith slip-resistant treadWith the wording “Let Your Heart Dream” and a sweet Snow White design Only £7 - One size fits all image.Available from SockShop
  • Bargoed Backmarker wrote (see)

parkruns are cool - that's where I started - at Cardiff in feb (had to take a detour to wee behind a tree after taking the drink loads of water before you run advice too seriously!)

I can reveal - that I'm on the lucky six to be shortlisted- on lunch break from work so can't say much now - but I will slog my guts out to improve and to share everything I learn from there and from people like you guys on the forum.

I'll be online properly tonight - so please anything you need to know (e.g. re ipod runners,!!! or other stuff) just give me a shout

Are we to expect thread infiltration all over the website now from shortlistees as they drum up support.
  • bit harsh andy? he's just showing willing?

I think Andy meant to stick one of these at the end of his post image

But of course my post (re Snow White socks) is deadly serious !!

• andy sly wrote (see)
    Are we to expect thread infiltration all over the website now from shortlistees as they drum up support.
    No! image
  • Rio - you're not an infiltrator! LOL!image

• Was only in jest !

Reserving my bitter and twisted side for RW competition organisers  image

• Hello

Think ill lurk here too

any chap who can run those sorts of times with a hangover has my respect, AND you survived Balckpool 206

I have done a few more marathons than you have, so happy to tell you what NOT to do

• I can't run with a hangover at all.

I usually wind up crying, promising i'll never drink again and I dream about someone coming along with a saline drip and stand to sort me out.

But they never do and I have to suffer alone.image

• I had it easy at that Blackpool run, no water issues atr the front but it must've been horrendous further back.
    I stopped for a few after the race and ended up with a suntan mark in the shape of the medal with a blurry blackpool wrote on my chest through the cut-out part. Damn hot !
  •  From memory I did Dublin '04 after getting in wrecked at 3am or so, can hardly remember any of it, though do remember on race morning a policewoman p***ing herself laughing when i stumbled along and asked her which way it was to the start

• Good point lfc, now why didnt I think of that

Yup, I got a good suntan at blackpool too