Slygo

Comments

• Munich '07, hammered in the afternoon watching an England football match then a rugby game, though was aided by falling into bed at about 8pm and getting around 10 hours kip.
  • Plodding Hippo wrote (see)

Good point lfc, now why didnt I think of that

Was this the year they ran out of water for 15 miles? Mr LB's first mara! Surprised he ever did another one!image

• yeah thats the one LB

and then denied it all

• I had that on a Liverpool half, I think it was 06. No water for most of the race.
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Feels such a lightweight - only ran a 10 miler race with a hangover (but surprising only a 4 mins away from PB). Will state it is not big or clever but sometimes cannot be helped.

Andy - if I can ask a serious question....I know you are a V45 & started marathon running in 2003, my question - what was your running background before 2003, have you always been fast?

• ah, 2006 at Blackpool

was marvellous

• Mr. K. wrote (see)

Feels such a lightweight - only ran a 10 miler race with a hangover (but surprising only a 4 mins away from PB). Will state it is not big or clever but sometimes cannot be helped.

Andy - if I can ask a serious question....I know you are a V45 & started marathon running in 2003, my question - what was your running background before 2003, have you always been fast?

My running background before that was as a 1500m runner in the Navy during the mid-eighties (pb 4:20), I also ran 2 half marathons in 86 and 89, end of. Unless you include charging around like a headless chicken in the midfield of 100's of football matches, before dropping back to centre half and realising what an easy game it was.
  • Bargoed Backmarker wrote (see)

parkruns are cool - that's where I started - at Cardiff in feb (had to take a detour to wee behind a tree after taking the drink loads of water before you run advice too seriously!)

I can reveal - that I'm on the lucky six to be shortlisted- on lunch break from work so can't say much now - but I will slog my guts out to improve and to share everything I learn from there and from people like you guys on the forum.

I'll be online properly tonight - so please anything you need to know (e.g. re ipod runners,!!! or other stuff) just give me a shout

andy sly wrote (see)
    Bargoed Backmarker wrote (see)

I can reveal - that I'm on the lucky six to be shortlisted- on lunch break from work so can't say much now - but I will slog my guts out to improve and to share everything I learn from there and from people like you guys on the forum.

I'll be online properly tonight - so please anything you need to know (e.g. re ipod runners,!!! or other stuff) just give me a shout...

Are we to expect thread infiltration all over the website now from shortlistees as they drum up support.

It looks that way, doesn't it, but what is a boy to do?!! image

Thanks for your indulgence for a moment anyway - what is the etiquette with these things ... I'm well established on my home thread - that isn't a huge one - probably 20 regulars? - so don't know a lot people on here and just trying to make sure people who are interested in voting can get a chance to see what I'm about really.

And by the way, all the best with your thread and challenge. Hopefully whether I get chosen or not, this should be a good chance to get to know a few more peeps.

What is a boy to do, eh?!

• Back in from my club run - was our 5k time trial tonight.  Got thoroughly drenched and ran it slower than 10 mile pace (as per coach Jim's instructions) in a time of 25:04.  Just got one more run then it's a lazy few days before the Town Moor

BB - there's no ettiquette really - I guess we'll have election fever till the winners are announced image

• It's really weird - I'm usually really laid back and don't worry about things, but this whole process has suddenly made me quite edgy!! Thank you for the tip though!!

I hope people aren't sick to the back teeth of this already, but if you want to find out more about me, I've started a thread http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/threadreply.asp?last=1#last - darned if you do, darned if you don't!

Good luck with your race Vicki

• I have just bookmarked this thread. RW are quite silly, after last year I thought they would have at least shortlisted someone who has a proven track record of not getting injured!! imageimage
  • lfc runner wrote (see)
    I had that on a Liverpool half, I think it was 06. No water for most of the race.

I drank out of the end of a garden hose at that one!

• Now why did that pop up in my mind with you, a garden hose and a barrel of wine image
  • I did 4.5 fierce miles tonight then went to pub, 4 pints later all's well with the world
  • that's 9 miles a gallon,

how many for your marathon warm up then?

• I just did my last intervals session before the Newcastle Marathon on the dreaded treadmill. 6 x 400m at 5k pace with 4m recovery. Easy peasy but I still hate the treadie. Just one last run to do on Thursday...
  • James 1986 wrote (see)
    I have just bookmarked this thread. RW are quite silly, after last year I thought they would have at least shortlisted someone who has a proven track record of not getting injured!! imageimage
    I've always been pretty lucky with injuries - only missed the odd couple of weeks since feb so far and could have run if push came to shove for a big race ... having said that I'm new to running after years of football and then a spell as a couch potato!!! (which then helped to inspire the running!) - pick me if you're voting in the sub 4:30 please?? (I sound a bit needy here, don't I?!!! - shut up BB!)
  • Oh, the shortlisted ones.... I know Matchstick Man, he's a regular on the sub 3.15 thread. He's a good bloke and he'll probably run sub 3 by VLM. He would have run sub 3.15 in Abingdon but came down with a nasty bug in the taper and had to withdraw.
  • Vicki: Graceless Whippet wrote (see)

I'm indeed near Newcastle - actually in a very windy Bill Quay at the mo!

Sunderland parkrun has been going for 5 weeks now image It's at Silksworth - on the Sunderland Harriers 5k route. 

It's deffo worth a go, I've done 2 so far (missed some because of work and illness), there's some canny banter and the routes not too bad - bit of a hill at the finish.

Thanks Vicki - that's great news that one has started up!  Just got a little marathon to get out of the way in early January then will defnitely do these.  I just have to persuade my running partner that going to Sunderland does not make him a traitor!  Good luck on Sunday - I thought I might come and do some cheering if I've managed to get my long run done by then just to see what I ought to be doing (except I'll do it all in slow motion compared to you lot!).  Hope you all have fun!

that's 9 miles a gallon,

how many for your marathon warm up then?

Still unsure about Sunday, thought veering towards the drive up on the morning.

Plan:

Wednesday: should be rest, depends if bored may do 30 mins.
    Thursday: 40 mins hard intervals
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Possible 2 or 3 miles then day at football, may have a cheeky pint or 5

• Like the schedule - is it scientifically proven to work andy?? I could well be tempted
  • They were asking for volunteers for marshalling at the club tonight. I'm not sure if I should or not as obviously I'll be guaranteed to see you all, but would kind of like to be more "fluid" and chat with some of the other support crew. They were mentioning it might not be needed at all points after about 3 laps as you should know where you're going by then image. Although, the support would still be nice for you guys. Not sure how I'd feel in a race if it seemed like the marshalls had buggered off.
  • After so many laps the marshalls will be invaluable as we get dizzier  image
    Now why did that pop up in my mind with you, a garden hose and a barrel of wine image
    imageimage
  • Morning all, rest day for me today. First non-running day since 27th October.
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Is that total rest or just non-running?

What is your race plan for Sunday?

• "rest" day for me too.

*translation*  - cleaning the house.

My HR is probably at the same level as a tempo run! image

• Rest day for me three. Exactly the same as LB though, have to get the house tip top as it's Jack's birthday on Saturday and will have a house full of people who I'd be embarrassed to invite in in it's current state. I'm doing canny so far. Think I'll hide everything in the play room and lock the door image.

Andy - yes, afraid it's not looking too good on the weather front. It's not even necessarily that there are puddles (some are deep and unavoidable), it's that the water is cold! Coold feet is no good for a marathon. Don't know if you currently use anything to prevent blisters, but perhaps copious amounts of vaseline may be worth a shot (I don't usually use anything and find my feet slide if I do!)

• Mr. K. wrote (see)

Is that total rest or just non-running?

What is your race plan for Sunday?

Yeah, total rest, been out with dog then just been on my arse playing FiFA. Plus 2 very nice runny  fried egg butties