Medals - bring them back!

Sitting behind me on my study wall taking up 3' x 1' my medals from races run since 2001 are hanging.

It's nice to look through them once in a while, they don't take up much space, they are all different, some have fantastic designs and they all have personal memories. A couple of horse brasses from Dartford & Hastings, a few Nike runs, a large Paddock Wood ½ and some colourful Gillingham Trotters with a flying pig, my two FLM’s, a lion from Longleat.

So why it is every race I now enter provides me with a 'memento' at the end. Don't get me wrong the occasional faux crystal block with runners in the middle is nice. But I don't want numerous plastic water bottles, gym bags or mugs that supposedly keep my drink hot - just because all of these things have the race name and sometimes the date stamped on them it does not make them special, in fact they take up a lot more space at the back of a cupboard than the 9 years worth of medals on my wall.

Give me a well designed medal any day.

Comments

• Hey, I thought I was the only one with a faux crystal block with runners in the middle. image

i agree that medals are better, though not keen on the cheap and flimsy ones with no date on.

• medals are good. Hung mine on wall. For the rest will hang em and sell the gold and silver onesimage
  • Of all the races I've done over the past year, I've only ever received 2 medals.  Sometimes I'll get a mug or a t-shirt, but in most races I enter I'm lucky to get a cup of tea and a biscuit!  I do like my medals, but if it means I have to enter races with thousands of runners, then I'll pass, thanks very much - I like the quiet life!
  • Pooh, you are a bear of much wisdom.

I too like the old bling on a string. Nothing else will do.

• That said, I wouldn't purposely NOT do an event just because it didn't have a medal.
  • I would, actually. Partly because of my bet with Muttley Jnr (to get 100 medals by a certain date) but partly because I already have too much clutter. I don't have space for more mugs, T-shirts, water bottles etc. Medals are easily stored.
  • Theres a local race I do every year, I haven't had a medal from that race yet, this year I got a hi-vis vest, which has come in handy image

I'd prefer them to offer a medal, but they don't, and I enjoy the race, so I do it regardless.

• the vests and t shirts you get aint exactly rock and roll  are they?
  • No, they aren't, and I'd bet that 99% of them get chucked into a draw never to see the light of day again.
  • I agree, I like my medals.  Can't stand the mugs, I have enough mugs, I don't need another sponsor covered cheap mug.

Oh and dont get me started on t-shirts.

• Got a cracking medal at the Town Moor yesterday, Its now my second most treasured medal (after my BMAF silver for their 10 mile championships last year).

I've got most of my medals in a picture frame in my hall - they look good and take up no space at all.

I'm up to 52 techie tshirts now, not even counting the cotton ones.  I should really have a cull

• There's a company in the US that will make a quilt out of all of your race t-shirts.

In my school era the medals were for winners not participants and that's coloured my thinking ever since.

• Moraghan wrote (see)

In my school era the medals were for winners not participants and that's coloured my thinking ever since.

Thats actually a good point.
  • Moraghan wrote (see)

Fair point, though the world has moved on (whether for better or worse is a moot point).

That said, a lot of races today, perhaps most, still have 'special' unique medals and trophies for the winners and category winners to mark their achievement. The run-of-the-mill finisher medals are simply a memento for having taken part. No one pretends they are more than that, so it shouldn't colour your thinking too much.

• RunningCommentary wrote (see)
    No one pretends they are more than that, so it shouldn't colour your thinking too much.
    I do image
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who like medals! I was just only looking through my medal collection last night as added one after a race yesterday.

I'm not a fast runner so will never get the winner's prizes but like the fact I get something better then a bottle of water for my efforts. I'm not fussed about t-shirts (will never wear them) or discount vouchers (which will never get used) but I am extremely proud of my medals.

I'm so glad with the events section on this website so I can check whether you get a medal for a race. For the time being, I will only do a race if I get a medal and I am willing to pay the extra money. I do enough of running without a medal during my training sessions!

I have to say the most disappointing medals I got are from Race For Life/Cancer Research 10k but I think they're more just a mass production thing. Some of the best medals I've got have come from smaller local races. 

I say long live the medals!

• Yesterday I did a 10k where I got a kit bag for finishing. Why do I want a kit bag when I got kit bags
    from other races. I have over 100 race t-shirts. Mugs although not as many as a ten years back.
    Pens, whisky glass, plates, ashtrays, towels, baseball cap, wine, bookends, doorstopper, even a chocolate medal.

All in all, I rather have a medal. I got loads of medals dating back to my very first and it makes
    me happy and proud that I can look at the miles, the achievement and the memories that I have done.
  • Yes - ashtray. Oh and a piece of flint, a shoehorn, cuddly toy.
  • Moraghan wrote (see)

There's a company in the US that will make a quilt out of all of your race t-shirts.

There's a person on this forum who could be persuaded to do that image
  • If someone was to look at one of my medals and ask what it was for, I would be a bit sheepish in replying for finishing a 5k.  It's not an achievement for an able bodied person - whichever way you cut it. 

Mementos are great I just don't think medals should be used as a memento.  We already have races handing out dozens of age group, individual, team and best dressed trophies.

I once won a $3 cap for coming 3rd in a very small race where one of the spot prizes was a $50 voucher for a local restaurant!  I'll stop because now I'm sounding bitter!

• Why do I pick the t-shirt up after every race?  Got another one yesterday, never gonna wear it...
  • i really like getting a tshirt, gives me summat to wear around the house and the better technical ones i wear when running/cycling.

couldn't care less about a medal to be honest.

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭

I like the medals best but I also really like the t-shirts, I work as a sports coach so I can wear them to work!!!

I will actually not enter races if there is no medal/ t-shirt at the finish image

Actually i really like rumaging through a goody bag too even if it is full of stuff you don't need or want image

• I couldn't care less about a plasticy piece of tat purely for finishing a race.

other momentos I have had included water bottles, mugs etc are far superior as they serve a purpose and are a reminder of an event.

I only want a medal if I WIN.

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Moraghan wrote (see)

If someone was to look at one of my medals and ask what it was for, I would be a bit sheepish in replying for finishing a 5k.  It's not an achievement for an able bodied person - whichever way you cut it. 

When I did my first 5k it was the first time I had even run (out of choice!). Completing it was a huge achivement to me. Nowadays 5k is nothing to me and probably most of us on here, but too some people it is still a big deal.

Whether you're doing a 5k or a marathon, getting to the end of it is an achievement. You've peeled yourself off the sofa enough times to go out and train in the wind, rain or sunshine. Active people are still such a small percentage of society, why shouldn't we be awarded for our efforts at the end?

• I agree KG

I like my medals.  They are a timeline of my races.

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Shimmy shimmy wrote (see)
    I like my medals.  They are a timeline of my races.

Good way to put it. I can look back at mine and see the progress and also it brings back memories. From my first 5k (which was like hell!) to my last race yesterday (very wet, windy & muddy!).

Medals are easy to store. It's easy enough to buy mugs and t-shirts (granted probably not with a race date/logo) but you can't buy medals in the shops!

If you win a race then yes you should be given something extra but completing is still worthy.

• I like a medal too me.  The one that I'm not that fussed about is one where I accompanied my wife around her first 10k.  It was a jog for me, so I didn't feel I'd earnt it.  But the rest, I ran the best I could on the day and feel I deserve them.

It wouldn't put me off entering a race though.  I would be disappointed to not get one for a marathon but I tend to do the big city races anyway so not a problem.