Newfoundland Dogs

http://www.pet-dog-magazine.com/image-files/newfoundland-1.jpg

http://www.tyrpentre.co.uk/images/Three%20pups.jpg

We are currently looking for a new dog, preferably a brown newfoundland puppy BUT they appear to be very few and far between.

Anyone got one or know of any breeders who have or are due to have litters.

Comments

• Get a Leonberger... They're cool... and big.

• http://www.szeptweny.pl/images/okiem_hodowcy_007.jpg

I don't know what they're making the kid do... But that's only optional. You don't have to have the kid.

• Lots of brushing,they have a double layer coat that needs thinning regularly, they have a fantastic temperament great with kids,good fun especially if you live near water dont live very long though 10 years at best image

we had a Bernese similair not so hairy and a different colour obviouslygreat family pet didn't like walkies too much more of a stroll and quick slash sniff and home

http://a.media.community.abcfamily.go.com/images/bernese%20mountain%20dog.jpg

altogether aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
  • IMy son has a set of those stuffed...........mummy, daddy and baby.....they are so cuteimage
  • Try these people for unbiased advice  Breed societies also usually have lists of recommended breeders who they will pass on.

We've had a couple of shocking Newfie puppies in recently - one we're almost sure is a cross but was sold as a pure breed, the other just an unhealthy looking specimen with poor confirmation.

They're nice dogs - one of the girls here has two - but they are often quite smelly ( you try keeping that coat clean in all weathers) and they do take up a lot of room!

• I have a friend in the US who had three of them (they eventually died of old age)- they were lovely, but very smelly!image
  • just what you need is a giant walking carpet, eating you out of house and home, smelling like a tramps vest

They are cute though

• moomoo wrote (see)
    - they were lovely, but very smelly!image

They will fit in well with my kids then.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

• JP - whereabouts are you looking - if you look on the Kennel Club site they will have some breeders listed and also a site called Champdogs lists breeders - being on either isn't necessarily a recommendation but it's a place to start looking.   Probably your best bet is contact the breed club - or one if there are several contact them all - if you find a dog that is used at stud regularly then they should have names of people with litters that their dog has sired.   I' m sure you will but make sure that any relevant health tests have been done on the parents as medicine for dogs costs a fortune and the amount they need is proportionate to the weight of the dog.  

edit :  x post - just had a shower between starting that and posting it - see I've been beaten to suggesting the breed club

• you will also need a big shovel for the garden as it gets older

you dont tread in their poo you trip over it  LOL image

• popsider wrote (see)

JP - whereabouts are you looking - if you look on the Kennel Club site they will have some breeders listed and also a site called Champdogs lists breeders - being on either isn't necessarily a recommendation but it's a place to start looking.   Probably your best bet is contact the breed club - or one if there are several contact them all - if you find a dog that is used at stud regularly then they should have names of people with litters that their dog has sired.   I' m sure you will but make sure that any relevant health tests have been done on the parents as medicine for dogs costs a fortune and the amount they need is proportionate to the weight of the dog.  

edit :  x post - just had a shower between starting that and posting it - see I've been beaten to suggesting the breed club

Pops - been there done that, thanks for the info, the info on kennel club is a bit out of date, all of the pups listed are and have been sold for a while.

Breed club have no details of current litters, they have provided details of a number of breeders and I am awaiting responses from them, Just thought I would post on RW as you never know who knows someone might have one etc

• image J don't forget for a dog that big you have to take it for big walkie's or they get bored and naughty. Just in case your thinking of just round the park and back. Used to have a Clumber spannel, very similar type of breed only a bit hobbit shaped in conparrison. I miss not having a doggie. image
  • Cake - they dont actually need or want too much exercise BUT do benefit from a swim and messing in the mud.
  • image Oh sorry, used to take the doggie miles. image Messing in the mud turned him into a strange hairly monster.
  • Do not provide your domestic dog an opportunity to soil inner the residence preserve an eye on them each time they’re indoors.while you may not supervise, confine when you are now not capable of appear at your private how to house train a dog always restriction them to an region small enough that they'll additionally not preference to do away with there.

FOR more information add .com in this site which give in below.
    dogstrainingtools
  • > @JPenno said:
    > We are currently looking for a new dog, preferably a brown newfoundland puppy BUT they appear to be very few and far between.
    >
    > Anyone got one or know of any breeders who have or are due to have litters.

I think this large dog cage: https://www.petstreetmall.com/Large-Dog-Crate/4314/1719/ will be perfect for a Newfoundland dog. :)