Tuesday 1st December

Morning,
NZC - must be a big kid too, I love running in the rain!!

What - reps of some ilk tonight
Why - Club night

Have a super day!

Comments

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all.

Belated birthday wishes Mike.  

What: 5.2 miles in crisp icy conditions
    Why: why not
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 13 Nov

have a good day

• Happy 51st Mike

The guy I paced to sub 60 on Sunday will be 50 in April, yet it was me who got asked at the end of the race what vet category I was by a guy we'd just beaten!

What: 4 miles am / 8 miles pm inc 16 x 100m / 300m rec
    Why: basic speed (one of my weaknesses)

Also trying to get down from 11:8 to 11:00 for the Ribble Valley 10k on 27th Dec (former racing weight 10:4)!

• First time posting in one of these, but I think I'm ready...

What: Rest day

Why: Really should have been yesterday but I joined a running club

Last hard: Sunday

Last Rest: 28th

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: brick session hr bike 20 min run d&d
    Swim lunchtime
    short run and circuits PM
    Gym - first leg session for a long time :¬0
    Why: Tuesday mean it's Tuesday
    Last hard: last night
    Last rest: Monday 23rd November

9 x 600s up and down the pavement, first 5 off 90 seconds last 4 off 2 mins. Tough gig indeed and delighted to report my last rep was the fastest.

Average pace was 5.21
    slowest(1st rep) 5.42 pace (must have been loosening off
    Quickest(last rep) 5.09 pace (ready to do more as well)

Happy days indeed

November totals
    Run - 143 miles(18.31hrs) - highest run month Apri
    Avg pace - 7.46
    Rest days - 1
    Non run days - LOADS
    Bike 400 miles(23 hrs) - Lowest since May
    Swim - 5.6 miles
    gym - 11hours
  • Morning all,

Welcome Wej

happy birthday Mike!

Me? Bass Building (nothing to do with base training) 6 hours of upper body work: heaving a 4 kg shooting plane, gouging, flipping and turning 1.8m planks weighing about 10 kg. It's my day at the workshop!

Have fun all.
  • Morning,

Welcome, Wej!  Tell us a bit about your running.

Happy Birthday, Mike.

I like running in the rain, too.

What: 5-6M planned later, after work
    Why: no time to run at lunch
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Last Tuesday

November was 161 miles.  I now need to do 125 more miles and I will crack the 2000 in a year for the first time ever - should be a doddle as long as I don't go down with pig flu or similar.  Given that I was covering for my boss all month and had to put in some extra non-running days because of work, I'm surprised I managed so many miles last month.

Have a good day.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Apologies Mike - missed your Birthday, so belated congratulations!!
    Welcome Wej!

SGQ - you'll beat me to the 2,000.
    November about 140 miles, so need 270 in December to skip past 2,000. Not going to happen, as two maybe 3 weekend runs will be shorter owing to xc races. So should hit about 130-150 again this month. Even so 1900 will be my highest mileage year. Need to fine tune plans for next year. Did target initially sub3 at London, but think sub 3h15 (and GFA) should be primary goal, plus I want to dip my toe into the murky world of ultras some time next year....
  • Morning all!

Stickless, sounds like you had a great run yesterday, I love walking along that bit (I never seemed to run that direction on the river). Have fun at the workshop!

I like running in the rain if it isn't icy cold rain.

This morning was brrrrrr cold. I had given myself a little peptalk yesterday evening, we had staff and students christmas dinner, followed by a short pub visit. I got home just before midnight and wondered if my usual 6.30 start to the day would be a good idea, but then I thought "sleep is so last year" and I prefer to be with the cool kids image So I rolled out of bed, and went out on a very crisp early run. The common looked nice, covered in a white coating of ground frost, black shadows of the horses looming in the distance. But it was just a little bit to dark to find my footing, so I went out along the trustworthy Woodstock road yet again, just 30mins.

I was very happy to have my gloves and a bandana on me. I also finally figured out what to do with the bright red wool I still have sitting in my stash: I have one running hat, but with the high wool content it takes days to dry, so I'll make another one or two, that should see me through any cold spells. Those will be pure Shetland wool, and I am curious about how they will perform, both in keeping warm and washing.

ETA: no November stats (stopped keeping track for a few months), but def. a good month all in all.
    And today's summary:
    what: 30mins
    why: base and regular running
    last hard: Sunday
    last rest: Saturday
  • Morning folks.

Happy b'day Mike.

NZC - I, like Dustin, must be a big kid then image (kinda knew that already though image ).

Moraghan - there are a few of us who train solely in flats (I've been doing it for about a year and a half now). The body adjusts quite nicely to it. One of my pairs of flats are very close to breaking the 1000m barrier.

Welcome Wej.

Monthly Stats (I am measuring everything since the burnout to make sure I am not missing anything that could affect me):

Running:
    175m @ an avg pace of 7:12m/m - all very easy or recovery pace.
    Races: None

Cycling:
    110m @ an average speed of 14.42mph (I'm deliberately keeping effort low on the bike, particularly for now).

Strength/Core/Flexibility: 5hrs 15mins.

Total for the month: 34hours - a big chunk in the last 8 days as I realised I'm definitely fine at lower intensities.

• Oh, and 40-70mins run for me later today with some core work pm (had a lie-in am).

Have a good day all.

• A'noon peeps.

What:4M Steady on a cold and frosty morning.

Belated Happy Birthday to Mike and NZC.

Belated Congrats to BR.

Welcome Wej.

Oldest son ran with the Queens Commonwealth Baton yesterday. MissB called it 'running with a big torch' !

I prefer running in the snow to rain ! But hate it when it turns icy or slushy.

Have a good one.

• Happy birthday Mike!

Welcome Wej.

What: No formal running, but lots of exercise outside in very hot humid conditions. Husband and son setting courses for orienteering at Cornwall Park. Started my day off in the garden, then went to Cornwall Park about 3pm to help husband put out controls. Late night as we had to wait till after 8pm to pick up controls again, by that time getting dark. Lots of work involved in organising orienteering events.

Cornwall Park is based on One Tree Hill which is one of Auckland's  extinct volcanos, so there was plenty of climbing and quiet a few fences to climb as parts of it is also used for farming.

Good running everyone.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Welcome wej

Happy Belated Birthday Mike

Nov Milage - a poor 71..... worst for well over 2 years, thanks to a chest infection...

What 5.75m
    Why _ needed
    Last Rest - yesterday
    Last Hard - Sat

Take care

• Yep it was icy cold in Oxford this morning and I never really warmed up til I got home after work.

What 5.2 miles
    Why  too late to do 8
    Lyrics no

Will try for 8 tomorrow

• What:  a.m. 2.25 easy; p.m. 8.5m inc strides, drills and 4 * 400m @ 3k pace + 4 * 300m @ 3k pace (100 jog; 400 jog).

Why:  My fortnightly reminder that even during base you can't totally desert something approaching race pace.  The rest of my base training is more like a 5k runner.  Lower overall mileage for a quality day as it's my rest week.

Last Hard:  Friday

Last Rest:  Thursday.

Complete bellend on the track tonight.  Very busy club night and he jogged / did strides with his headphones on.  Didn't hear me shout track the first time or twat the second time and I had to go round him.  He was part of the club and should have known better.

TippTopp:  That's the direction I'm heading in, just have to do it conservatively at my age!

• Evening folks.   Good to see some old faces back again, and running well.  I've mainly been awol while having a bit of a planned easy month, recovering from marathon and ultra;  last week was building up the miles again, so now I'm in business for a serious end to the year - need 321 ml to reach target of 3000ml, but I also want to do lots of weight training and losing fat by concentrating on eating protein to preserve muscle,  and running/exercising gylogen depleted to burn fat (????image).   but my mojo seems to have returned and I'm well up for it.

What: am: 4ml with Tigger pm: 8ml inc first track session in ages
    Why: back to routine.  First run was terrible, very depleted; wasnt worth going to thetrack like that so had some rice for lunch, and felt fine for the session.  Slow but not quite as bad as I had feared

• Evening all

What - 13.1 miles at 8.24 pace with the dog.  Fairly even paced run along an old railway track turned cycle path.     The track is only 5.2 miles long though so did have to double back a bit at the end.   

Why - should have done this run 2-3 weeks ago but didn't then bad back and flu postponed it.    12 days out from race day so figured if I was going to do a relatively lsr it would be better now than the weekend. 

• Evening - thanks for the birthday wishes.

Hi Wej

I'm one of those that prefers road racers - though must confess that a lot of November's miles were run in a pair of horrid clunky Mizuno motion control trainers. Problem was that I was starting to get unmistakable metatarsalgia symptoms (burning feeling under the foot, also sometimes feeling like I'd got a stone in my shoe), plus I seemed to be wearing out the Asics Hyperspeeds I was using far too quickly.

November stats: 221 miles - 30 more than I've ever managed previously (Nov 08). The vast majority run at 8:00 pace or even slower.

today:

what: 8.9 miles in 72:35
    why: still building

Conditions were such that they might have tested the resolve of those whose expressed preference is to run in the rain...as it was blown on an icy (3 deg C) sou-easterly. Fortunately, got the hard into-the-wind miles out of the way in the first half of the run, feeling returned to fingers somewhere between miles 5 and 6, and the rain went off after that.

• Evening all

quick post re last months stats, hope everyone is ok. miss following the DTT as i did before.

fell short of the 100 miles running mark for the 3rd straight month, which is quite frustrating, not by much though. the shins pains put pay to that early on, although since i rested for the 2nd time, my shin pains have disappeared, so maybe this coming month i will shatter the barrier.

stats are -

Running Miles - 91
    Swimming Miles - 7
    Cycling Miles - 80

slightly down on last months figure with regards to cross training however i slashed my cross training days in half so is to be expected, added some extra rest days due to fatigue i was feeling.

take care everyone and hopefully an injury free month ahead for all
  • G'night all,

MikeS:  Belated Happy Birthday!

Welcome wej!

November miles:  A humbling 13.5

• What:  5k
    • Why:  Running 101
    • Last Hard:  Ha! Ha! Ha!
    • Last Rest:  26/11

Have a good one!

• November stats of sorts:
    10 track sessions (fast)
    2 Hill sessions (fast)
    4 Pilates equipment classes (hard)
    3 circuits sessions (tough)
    1 40 minute run (slow)

Plus... 8 assorted 4-5 mile hilly walks with up to 5 kilos of shopping.
    (I seem to consume my own weight in vegetables every month)

And after that little lot was yesterday:
    Prone and supine.
    60 minutes legs and glutes.
    Bloody Ouch.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    TT/Moraghan, I'm another runner in flats- I tend to buy discontinued racers in bulk. I started with Filos, which Popsider favours, moved onto Ekidens on BRs recommendation and am currently using up two pairs of Ascics Ohana - now unavailable. I'll soon be looking for replacement recommendations if anyone can help.

I ran 141 miles in November, comfortable doubling my year to date milage - a long way from the 3800 that I ran back in 2006. If I can hit 2500, free of injury in 2010, that woukd be good.

Non run day today. felt a bit tight and stiff around lower back, glutes and hams. Hopefully its a symptom of a weak core rather than impending injury. Anyway its being addressed.

Goodnight all.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Moraghan - the lack of track etiquette is something that really pisses me off. That's another reason why I train on my own and if and when I use the track it's usually well out of hours. You'd think it's something that coaches would teach their charges but it doesn't seem to be the case any more.

Still it's not always tracks that can dangerous. I live on the high street of a small town and we have a bus stop outside the front of the house. About three years ago I was steaming past the front door, finishing my run, when some moron standing at the bus stop using a mobile phone wandered into my path clipping my heel as I went by. Down I went, like a sack of Maris Piper, and like the drama queen I am, lay there inhert. My next door neighbour came out, took one look at me on the ground, turned to the bus queue and said, "That's Tom, he probably been overdoing it again"