Calling IT geeks

is to recommend a new computer for me.

My old desktop has died a death and I'm looking for a laptop/notebook to replace it. I'm currently using Mr Slugs ancient machine, it's very slow and has a hissy fit if I try to open more than 1 web page at a time, so research is proving to be a lengthy business. Plus the fact that I'm a total IT numpty so much of the stuff I have read makes little sense!  Hence my request.

What I want
14-15" screen. Minimum 1GB operating capacity. Preloaded with Windows 7 or Vista home premium. Able to load Office (for Excell) without slowing things down too much. Built in WiFi connectivity. It would be nice if it didn't burn holes in my legs when used on my lap. Might consider refurb but worried about lack of printed instructions because of aforementioned numptiness.

What I will use it for
Mainly web browsing (guess which site I use the most!). A few Word documents. Might watch the ocassional thing on I-player for instance. MS wants to be able to do his accounts when his machine dies (if I let him). Play basic games like solitaire, nothing fancy.

What I don't need
It doesn't need to be particularly portable as it will be mainly for home use, might stick it in the car when we go away but don't need to carry it around much. Don't need wizzy graphics but would like clear resolution as the eyesight is not what it was! Don't listen to much music via comp so sound doesn't need to be fantastic. Not bothered about webcam.

What I have looked at so far
The Acer AS5732Z seems to be fitting the bill - I think.

My budget
Maximum £350 but would really prefer to spend less than  £300 if possible.

Any suggestions?

Fankyew.

Comments