I love winter running because......

...its cold, wet, foggy, I'm constantly tired, my toes and fingers are frozen and I can't see any of the scenery from the darkness.... I forgot what I love about it?

Please remind me?

Comments

• It can be crisp, clear, invigorating, think how much you'll enjoy your spring and summer runs if you keep up those winter miles!
  • ...you don't get horribly hot and sweaty and then can't cool down. Love winter running, me.
  • It's brought on asthma I didn't realise I had.......not sure if it's the residue of the flu I had back in September, but i am struggling big time. image
  • Yeah, I know someone else who struggles this time of year. Nothing the doc can do?
  • I suggest going to the dr to get some medication then!

I much prefer winter running. I get really overheated and dizzy when running in the summer. If you go on a weekend late morning it can be beautiful.

I dont tend to run outside after work as its too dark and I dont feel safe (so go on a treadmill instead).

If you try running before work you might be able to see more of the scenary?

Also, running gloves might help. My hands go painfully cold in winter, so I have lots of different running gloves.

• went out running yesterday afternoon it was a beautiful day the sun was out but still had that crisp sort of bite in the air wasn't sweating my ***** off but then i am kind off lucky that the hours i work allow me to get out during the day it might be a different story if i had to train in the evening when it's dark

• because if you do enough to at least keep on ticking over, it`ll soon be spring.
  • ....because anything you can achieve in the winter you'll surely be able to surpass when spring arrives.

I hate Winter running too, so this is the only thing that spurs me on.

• It'll be the shortest day soon then days will be getting a minute lighter each day!!

I much prefer summer running, but as an early morning runner it is nice watching the sun rise (assuming it isn't hidden behind grey clouds!!).

• i love being up and out early on those really cold dry crisp mornings when u are all toasty in winter thermals.... then rewarding yourself with a nice hot shower and something hot to drink/eat afterwards...... image
  • I much prefer winter running. I go out at night so it's too dark for people to see me sweating and red in the face, plus I have the added interest of all the Christmas decorations to distract me this time of year. Nothing better than a crisp cold evening for a lovely run. Another bonus is that when it's freezing, there are far fewer teens hovering on street corners ready to hurl smart ass comments. image
  • I like running when there's a decent snow fall.

I'm just a big kid really.

• I like it because in my local forest it's just me, the occasional other runner and dog walkers.

Rather than the hoardes of children, families that insist on all walking in one line across the path and tut when you expect at least one of them to move out of the way, dogs that never normally go out much and are completely uncontrolled by their owner, people who only get their bike out once a year and ride in what seems like the highest gear possible, pedalling at the slowest speed possible and weaving across the path so much that it makes you wonder if they are deliberately trying to hit you!

And because it's quieter you see squirrels, rabbits. birds and deer lot more often. I stopped to watch a Kingfisher the other day in the pouring rain, no on else around just be and the Kingfisher.

But the downside is the lake often floods and I end up having to run through the water and doing most of my run with very soggy feet image but it's worth it to have some peace and quiet image

• I love it because I can wear a coat to hide my mboobs without getting too hot.
    SS
  • I like it when it's really cold and you get tiny icicles on your eyelashes.

• Na D2D. Might give that one a try when I have a foggy night.

I love running but I hate winter. The cold. The wet. The dampness. Horrible if its
    really cold day. Give me spring and summer and I will be very happy.

• D2D that sounds fab! I might give that a go. I'd probably just end up in a giggling heap on the floor though....
  • Great replies!

I do run in the morning, but thats before the sunrise so it doesnt matter, its still dark!

Have done a few runs on a treadmill at gym and I must say it's given me a change, although I much prefer outdoor runs.

Its just my fingers and my toes. No matter what gloves I wear, how many of them, or how many socks, I always end up with numbness and runny nose.
    A cough that's lasted a month doesnt help.

One good thing, I guess, is that nobody will see you if you have business in the bushes as its too dark LOL
  • The Alarm goes it's half past six, christ almighty it's sunday morning, oh why the hell am i doing this, the walk across the landing, the turn down the stairs is staggered by one last look at your warm Duvet Cover, what the hell i'll have a kip on the sofa later on. the walk to the end of the drive, a last look back, plod on you feel the cold, ten mins on your out on your own, the peace the quiet, the open road, the feel of freedom and no one around but you and a few choiceful tunes,
  • Steve Mobley 2 wrote (see)
    The Alarm goes it's half past six, christ almighty it's sunday morning, oh why the hell am i doing this, the walk across the landing, the turn down the stairs is staggered by one last look at your warm Duvet Cover, what the hell i'll have a kip on the sofa later on. the walk to the end of the drive, a last look back, plod on you feel the cold, ten mins on your out on your own, the peace the quiet, the open road, the feel of freedom and no one around but you and a few choiceful tunes,

That's exactly it for me - apart from half an hour earlier image

• Of course! I take martian invasion reenactment very seriously! The mesmerising green mist , swirling and hypnotising, try to look away, try to run but can't....... then BAM! Phew that was a close one.....off and running

Oh and Richard Burton.....that voice......

I feel weird now

• D2D - lol. I think i'd quite like to stalk you when you run. You'd be a most amusing stalkee  image 

I could stalk you and try and guess which bit you were listening to based on your behaviour

Not that I've ever actually stalked anyone or even contemplated it, but, if I was to then I think you would make a most excellent stalkee.

And getting back to the winter thread, I would imagine that one of the positive aspects of winter is that you are probably less likely to be stalked (unless of course you are reenacting WOTW and then you're just asking for trouble)

• I have a day off. I had a good night sleep and I'm now planning for my LSR in about 20 minutes.

It was frosty this morning. I guess it's around 2-3 degrees now. No wind. Not too bad.

I've sat here sipping my coffee/tea, walked/joged around the house, had heating on full, wearing three pairs of socks (top ones being woolly ones) and two t-shirts and 2 jumpers trying to warm up enough to get changed to my running gear and head out.

Nothing's working. My toes are icicles. My fingers are surprisingly warm to allow me to type. Unusual. I have a choice of; wear two thinner gloves (to have some insulation in between) or my thermal Nike gloves. Neither of them usually warm me up for any longer than first 2 miles.

I've tried it all. I even take a hot water bottle with me to hold so my hands keep warm but once the bottle cools down, I have no hope.

This really affects my motivation. The faster I run, the more the wind affects my fingers and toes.

I guess I'll just have to go with it again, lets just hope that I'll still be able to dig the house keys out of my pocket by the time I get back.

Yes. I wear a hat too. My head boils though.

............... image

Oh well. At least I get to run when it's light for a chance.
  • D2D - curses! foiled again!

TurboElli - awww I feel quite sad for you now. That's sounds awful. Get yourself a treadmill and crank the heating up! image