Help: Connecting a New Electric Cooker

Working myself up to buying a new one, probably from Argos.  It looks like at the very least they expect me to disconect the old one, and probably to connect the new one.

My old one is wired into a proper cooker circuit (switch, 30 amp fuse etc), so I think things are OK there.  The old one did blow 2 fuses: first went, fitted a new one which went, and flames came out of the cooker.  I have a new fuse ready!  I've picked up that I probably need to keep the cable from the old cooker for the new one (planning on getting a Beko if that means anything)

From what I've read it seems legal for me to do it, but is it something someone who can wire a plug could handle?

Any comments/warnings/tips appreciated!

Comments

• Well I can wire a plug but I wouldn't attempt to connect an electric cooker. Beyond my capabilities that. We had a professional electrician install ours.

That's what I'd do if I had a new one.

I wouldn't risk it - you could end up injured, damaging the appliance, or even worse with a perm.

• Yes Rowan -if you can wire a plug you can do it. Switch off at the mains. Ensure you cut old cooker wire off so you leave a bit of coloured wire in so you can identify what wire goes where on new one. (colour match). Take one old wire out put new in and repeat. . Make sure cooker box has a grip to hold wires firm If not replace the box.

Depending on your fusebox, you may be abble to remove cooker fuse or turn that connection off.

• Get a pro sparks in.....

Doing it your self if you don't have Appendix 16 certification may invalidate your house insurance

• Get your wiring checked as well. It sounds like your fusebox doesn't have a RCB. You ought to have one.

Yes it might cost you cash, but not getting it checked might cost you a whole lot more.

• Connecting a cooker to an existing cooker point does not come under part P of the building regs so you can do it yourself.  It's no harder than wiring a plug.  However, it sounds like you have replaceable fuses rather than switchable circuit breakers and you probably don't have an RCD protecting your electrics.  This means your wiring is old and may not be up to the job so I would follow FR's advice and get someone in to check your electrics.  You probably need a new fusebox and you may need your wiring updated to make it safe.
  • I moved into my first ever babe lair (flat) when I was 20 and I wired in the electric cooker myself, it's just like fitting a plug!  If I can do it, anyone can.  I mean, how hard can it be? image
  • Rowan,
    you may well find that your new cooker only uses a 13 amp socket.

• A single oven might draw less than 13 amps but there's no way an electric cooker will.
  • Yes- well spotted Mr W- I had overlooked the fact my electric oven has gas burners on the top.
  • The thing I consulted said it had to be installed by "a competent person". But I did it myself instead.
  • and I've got some spare 6 mm2 cable...
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    And I did my own cooker installation ten years ago and the house hasn't burned down. Yet.
  • Having spent the last I don't know how long going round on circles on various sites, I've come to the conclusion that installing the thing must be easier than finding a site that has a suitable cooker available before Christmas and getting it delivered at a time when I can actually be in.

And I've sort of come to the conclusion that I'm probably going to spend the extra I would have spent on fan-assisted (supposed to be more enviromentally friendly, but I probably won't use the oven that much...) on getting it installed instead.

Not totally made my mind up though.  My head is spinning.

• Have you considered gas? image
  • Would say something extremely rude if I had the brain power left

Basically.... No image

• PS: thanks for all the input folks.  Basically it looks like the conclusion is everyone has a different opinion and maybe I just want to stop thinking about it and pay the money to get it installed!  I probably could do a great job of it myself... but.

Interesting addition from the folks at the local hardware store.  Was told it's illegal to do it yourself.  When I replied surprised that from what I'd seen it was illegal to do the circuit wiring unless you are suitably qualified, but OK to actually wire the cooker into that yourself, the boss replied that 'well, if you followed the letter of the law you'd have to get an electrician in to wire a plug or change a lightbulb'.

Just hoping the electrics are OK.  The council does come in and check them every few years... Apparently nothing wrong with having 6 sockets in the whole place (and that's singles, not doubles, including one in one of the cupboards in the kitchen).

• A fine example of people talking out of their backsides, Rowan.

The letter of the law says that certain electrical installations are covered by the part P building regulations.  What this means is that those installations have to be done by a qualified person or have to be checked by the council building regulations inspector.  I'm sure you can find a list of the installations that are included in part P but replacing an existing applicance/fitting is not included.  That means you can replace a switch, fit a new light fitting or connect a new cooker without having it done by a qualified person or having it inspected.

Having said that, you can actually do any electrical installations yourself as long as you get the council building regulations inspector to check it and sign it off.

• Yes Rowan -if you can twine a plug you could do it. Switch off at the mains. Ensure you chop antique cooker wire off so that you leave a piece of coloured twine in so you can pick out what wire and the best electric smoker with window here https://electricsmokerreviews.net/best-electric-smoker-with-window goes wherein on new one. (color fit). Take one antique twine out placed new in and repeat. . Make sure cooker field has a grip to preserve wires company If now not replace the field.