Slygo

14567810»

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    ...dont bother now though, cos I really wont bother to read it
  • It got done to death last week, there is no need to drag it out anymore. You have obviously seen something so it makes me wonder why you ask on here rather than just read through the thread  

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=149687&URN=11&SP=&V=1&searchdate=0&cp=55&dt=4

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    andy sly wrote (see)
    Mr K, i know you do a lot of races, probably more than me, do you pick out the more important ones and aim for them or try and treat them all the same?

When I started running I used to do all my running at local races, then after a while I ventured out by myself, and then finally joined a club. During that time I tried to run races at the same pace, like speed sessions, not thought, searching each time for that PB, regardless of what I ran the week before or what I had coming up. 

I hope & seeing as I`ve increased my race distances I have changed in this approach. I do have a rough plans - the Midsummers Munro was with a hard month, easy month, hard month & then a easy month with testing events during the way. Planning for the Midnight 30 - I used a couple of races (30 Km & 20 miles) within my build up.

My training for the Doyen of Downs has included more LSR than races, with my 1st race of the month(ex parkruns) being today.

Next year I will look more closely at races I want to do well at and not always being the longer races and plan accordinly.

I guess I will always be a race fan.....so I`m enjoying planning around VFM but it will be, as pointed out only this week about prorities.

• Did Clowne HM on Sunday, for those who don't know it is what is commonly referred to as "undulating", as you can see by the race splits

Split Summary
    ====
    1)  - 1m - 5:56(5:56/m) - 129cal
    2)  - 1m - 6:18(6:18/m) - 136cal
    3)  - 1m - 6:21(6:21/m) - 136cal
    4)  - 1m - 5:51(5:51/m) - 136cal
    5)  - 1m - 5:59(5:59/m) - 137cal
    6)  - 1m - 6:26(6:26/m) - 137cal
    7)  - 1m - 6:06(6:06/m) - 135cal
    8)  - 1m - 5:56(5:56/m) - 136cal
    9)  - 1m - 6:29(6:29/m) - 138cal
    10)  - 1m - 6:21(6:21/m) - 136cal
    11)  - 1m - 6:35(6:35/m) - 138cal
    12)  - 1m - 6:20(6:20/m) - 136cal
    13)  - 1m - 6:08(6:08/m) - 136cal
    14)  - 0.17m - 1:00(5:51/m) - 23cal

Anyway had a decent run, following last weeks marathon I sort of planned to take things fairly steady for first 8 miles and see how I felt. Didn't feel too bad at that point and began to push on a little, there was a group of 6 runners around 80 to 100 yds in front of me through the 9th uphill mile and focussed on keeping them in sight to drag me through. I noticed I had made some ground to the top of the hill and 2 in particular had fell away and were probably only 50 yds away, I caught these somewhere in the 10th mile, then went past 2 lads from Barrow at the 11 mile marker. The other 2 of the six were still 30-40 yds away, one of which was the lead lady who I spotted going past me around 3 or 4 miles, I gradually eroded the gap till I was on their shoulders, sat there for maybe 400yds then as the guy went past the lady I went past them both. I thought this would knock the confidence of both which it seemed to do as at the turn back to Clowne with less than a mile left I had a good 10 seconds over them and finished at least 20 seconds in front of them.
    14th place overall, 3rd over 40. Around 30 seconds faster than last year when the weather was a bit kinder, so pleased with that all told

• Here's a question from way back on the thread - I saw a few people referring to "surviving" Blackpool in '06 when they ran out of water. I seem to recall doing Blackpool in 2005 (which was the year they kept us on the start line for about 40minutes in the sun) when they apparently also ran out of water for the people further back because a load got nicked by oiks.

Is this a regular thing at Blackpool? Slightly concerned as I'm doing it again this April!
  • Ah it was 2005 i did it, i remember the wait as the sun crept up  image

Did it in  2003 as well but don't remember any problems.

• I have decided to train towards the Brass Monkey in 5 weeks time then do the London work from that point. To this end have completed 75 minutes of hill work on the treadmill, racking up 10.71 miles.
  • How's that nutrition plan coming along Andy?
  • Blackpool marathon ran out of water for 15 miles in 2005.

And it wasn't prettyimage

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Andy - I know you have said before that you are concerned about those Ethiopians getting hold of your training plan but can you pass on any tips & advice?
  • After a bit of a low spell following Christmas I got stuck into some serious training from the 2nd January, though decided to not do any real long runs as yet and concentrated on getting tuned up for the Brass Monkey half which I ran yesterday.

I ran a very even paced race, and beat my pb in the process, I'm now down to 1:17:50 for HM, taking 35 seconds off last years GNR, which in turn was nearly a minute off the previous pb. This despite not taking a break from the training plan apart from having Saturday off, though did have a cheeky 6 pints before during and after the Donny game.

• If anyone is remotely interested you can look through my training so far with this link

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training.php

• What I propose to do for the next 13 weeks or until people get bored of me is to publish my plan for the forthcoming week which i will update with what I have actually done as things quite often change.

So here goes for Week One.

Monday - at work all day so on treadmill - 45 minute recovery run.
    45 mins recovery - 6.1 miles at @ 7:14 pace.

Tuesday - attending a funeral in morning and football in evening - hope to get 8 to 10 miles in at some point through the day.
    10.6 miles @ 6.58 pace

Wednesday - work all day - 45 minutes on treadmill, maybe using a hill programme: 6 miles.

Thursday - Club time trial night - 5 miles at 10km pace or close to, maybe do a couple of steady miles afterwards to warm down and keep mileage up.

Friday - Slow starting long run dependant on how I feel, maximum 14 miles.

Saturday - all day at work - treadmill for an hour, steady paced, @ 8.5 miles

Sunday- all day at work - treadmill for an hour, intervals @ 9 miles

After totting up it looks like roughly being a 55 to 60 mile week, which is what I've averaged these past three weeks

• Ha ha, your recovery pace is my 10k pace.

Good luck, Andy.

What is your target for London? Do you have any marathons between now and then, or are you purely focussing on London?

• So here goes for Week One.

Tuesday - attending a funeral in morning and football in evening - hope to get 8 to 10 miles in at some point through the day.
    10.6 miles @ 6.58 pace

Wednesday - work all day - 45 minutes on treadmill, maybe using a hill programme: 6 miles.
    6.58 miles doing hill reps

Thursday - Club time trial night - 5 miles at 10km pace or close to, maybe do a couple of steady miles afterwards to warm down and keep mileage up.

After totting up it looks like roughly being a 55 to 60 mile week, which is what I've averaged these past three weeks

• kaysdee www.justgiving.com/kelly-dodds wrote (see)

Ha ha, your recovery pace is my 10k pace.

Good luck, Andy.

What is your target for London? Do you have any marathons between now and then, or are you purely focussing on London?

London target ? I know what I want to say but the thought of actually trying to do is a little frightening at moment. I'll give some targets to hopefully strike off en route..

Sub 3:00 - Always first aim
    Sub 2:55 - Happy enough.
    Sub 2:50 - Very pleased.
    Sub 2:49:43 - Course pb
    sub 2:48:06 - Pb
    Sub 2:45 - Doing cartwheels

• Races between now and then:

14th Feb: Stamford 30km
    14th Mar: Kilomathon 26.2 km
    21st Mar: Retford HM
    18th Apr: Rampton 10km

• So here goes for Week One.

10.6 miles @ 6.58 pace

6.58 miles doing hill reps

4.12 miles before pulling up with hamstring problem

• It's happened again, I put a plan together and it goes t*ts up. Hamstring went last night, no idea how long it's going to stop me running but feels like a bad one, just as I was picking up the training. Even if it's just the weekend it's 30 important miles lost including a long run and an interval session. image
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Andy - Never nice to read, fingers crossed it`s not as bad as you think. Hope it`s not too long before you are running again. 
  • Andy - Hope the injury is not as bad as you think. Have you been to see a physio??
  • Had massage this morning, seems to think it's more likely a pull and tightness than a full blown tear, he felt the tightness had eased following the 45 minutes of work he put into it, so fingers crossed.
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Gives the thread a little nudge image

• I abandoned it due to lack of interest mate image