Options

Why aren't there mix & match trainers?

I've been and had my gait analysed today and the video showed that I run with a neutral left foot/leg, but have a slight pronation on my right foot.

After some discussion I went with a neutral - cushioned pair a Asics trainers.

The assistant was telling me that my right foot was only slightly pronating, but if it had been on both feet, or slightly worse, he may have considered recommending a support shoe, but as it was this would probably do more harm to my left foot than it would help my right.

Surely there must be lots of people who have slightly different running actions like this (or maybe I'm just running strangely), so why aren't there any shoes that can be neutral on one foot and supportive on the other?  Is it that this would really mess up my action more than using a neutral pair, or is it just that this would be too much hassle for the manufacturers?

Comments

• Options
    I would say that if you have a difference that matters you look towards custom made orthotics.
  • Options
    Think about the number of variations of shoes there'd need to be if they had mix and match trainers.  It would be a logistics nightmare. Not quite like buying different sized tops and bottoms.
  • Options
    touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    not tried them personally but Nike Lunar glides claim to be able to adapt I believe
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I know what you mean TNHo, my feet are both very different. I did the wet foot print test and got two totally different results!

My right leg is riddled with problems (longer & twisted bones) so am in the process of getting orthotics. As much as it would be nice to have different shoes for different feet there would just be so many leftover trainers. Just go for trainers which will have the less impact on the opposite foot.

Or failing that, go to a podistrist. If it is a bid enough they will sort you out with orthotics. If you get them then it would be worth at some point getting trainers fitted around the orthotics rather then just using them in your existing trainers.

• Options
    There was an article in one of the magazines recently about some trainers that are coming out that are kind of bespoke. There`s a basic model and you can add different levels of support or correction as you need it. Can`t remember what they`re called though
  • Options
    the egyptian (mistle) toe wrote (see)
    There was an article in one of the magazines recently about some trainers that are coming out that are kind of bespoke. There`s a basic model and you can add different levels of support or correction as you need it. Can`t remember what they`re called though
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=150753&V=6&SP=
  • Options

The Guy in the running shop where I got my shoes said that Mizuno wave support shoes adapt to your gait. I don't know how accurate that is, but I got a pair of Mizuno motion control shoes and after a few initial problems with ITBS they've bedded in quite nicely.

My right leg is totally different to my left leg due to a major ankle operation a year ago.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    How on earth did mankind manage to run around for 400,000 years before the invention of support trainers and orthotics ...image
  • Options

I think those that needed them fell behind in the hunt, didn't eat, starved and died..........

It's obviously not genetic or we'd have killed off all us weaklings who need a little help sometimes....image

• Options
    Man would've always run barefoot on uneven surfaces so wouldn't have needed any support, probably had soles like hooves as well back then
  • Options
    Dr.Dan wrote (see)
    How on earth did mankind manage to run around for 400,000 years before the invention of support trainers and orthotics ...image

yeah - and how on earth did we manage to eat meat when we never cooked it first?? image

• Options
    Go back 100,000 years and we were all dead at 35.
    Now we're trying to run marathons as fast as possible at 55 etc.
  • Options
    Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

If we're on the subject of 'why aren't there's...' - why aren't there trainers with replaceable soles so we can just take the old, worn ones off & slap on a new pair without forking out on the entire trainer again?

What a waste.

You quite handy with the needle and thread then? Might be a bit time consuming image

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

When I was at school (almost 25 years ago) a friend of mine used to have the soles replaced on his New Balance trainers. Not heard of this since....

As regards whether we need all the "technology" that "the guys in running shops" tell us we need, well some manage pretty well without it. Food for thought if nothing else...

http://www.ultralegends.com/tarahumara-indians/

http://media.publicbroadcasting.net/kuer/newsroom/images/3141168.jpg