Thursday 17th December

Morning all,
thought these apt lyrics given the icy blasts we're expecting...

What - 6 miles , middle 4 at HM pace (or close enough..)
Why - thoughts turning to VLM
Last Hard - Tuesdays reps
Last Rest - Last weekend

Have a great day!

Comments

• Morning!

What: nothing unless I get home in the light which is somewhat unlikely
    Why: only running off road at present
    Last hard: Sun
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: nope

Wabo: congratulations, and hope you didn't celebrate too hard!

Arc: laughed about the bedroom furniture!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: 21 mins on the turbo(intervals)
    Swim lunchtime
    Hills PM
    Gym PM
    Why: Passing time
    Last hard: 8 reps this morning
    Last rest: Monday 23rd November
    Lyrics: no

I have joined a new gym which is cool except it has lengthened all my mini hops during the day. Good for bike training bad if I am in a hurry.
  • Morning

Not been able to post much due to PC running about as fast as I am at the moment.   Achilles still sore - OK walking on it but feels bruised and hurts to break into a run or jump so no running for a bit yet.  Watched the Alex Vero documentary on video last night and saw he was out for 10 months after ignoring a sore achilles so a cautionary tale there.

Monday - karate lesson with kids - not sure this counts as exercise as it wasn't very hard - seemed geared more towards the kids than the adults - will carry on with it but if it doesn't seem worthwhile I might use the time to go for a run instead if they don't insist the parents are present. 
    Tuesday - 46 miles on  bike in the evening - first really cold ride of the Winter - took ages for the distance - think I was out 2.5 hours though that did include getting stuck at lights and slowed traffic on the way out of town.
    Wednesday - Turbo session - did warm up and 20 minutes hard - had to cut it short due to eldest daughter coming home early to get changed for Guides party.   Took a bit of getting used to but it always does first time back on the turbo.
    Thursday - Some kind of bike ride on fixed wheel - probably about 30-40 miles - normally the kiss of death when I post mytraining in advance though.

• Morning folks.

Quiet here today.

How much of a difference is the trip Gobi?

Hope the achilles eases soon popsider.

Stepped out the door this morning and nearly went flying. Tiptoed to the end of the drive to see the road covered in ice still (8:30), so back in and onto the treadie. Given the forecasts I think that won't be the last time on it for the next while!

What: 13m easy d&d / core d&d / turbo (brick?) pm
    Why: Thursday, but no time for weights today - work do early evening.
    Last hard: yesterday.
    Last rest: Sunday.
    Lyrics: nope.

Slowly starting to feel as if things are coming back to me, which is nice.

Have a great day all.

• Hi All

Wabo: congrats as a fellow OU graduate I know how tough it can be, just think how much more time you will have now!

What: 8.3 miles at a easy pace d & d
    Why: Miles
    Last Hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 8 days but legs have told me that tomorrow is a rest day

Lyrics: no

A perfect 27C here today, not a cloud in the sky, rain forecast for the weekend, my last working day until 04th January but I know that I'm going to have to come in to sort out some stuff.

TTFN

• Afternoon folks.

Wabo - congratulations!

Did a really enjoyable 10 miler yesterday afternoon. Good, solid pace round my usual undulating loop (4 pretty sizeable uphill drags along the way) to get round in just over 66mins. Felt really good, with a reasonable turn of pace for the last mile or two. All seems to be coming back together gradually. Followed it with a sauna and a long soak in the jacuzzi.

Then wandered down to the club to help out at an all-group parlauf session at the track. More of a traffic policeman role than a coaching one with 50+ runners on the track, but seemed to go reasonably well once folk got into the swing of the things! 

It'll just be an easy 6 or 7 miles at some point this evening...recovery from the first double for over 2 months.

Have a great day.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Like TT I stepped out the door this morning onto an ice rink.  I managed to creep a couple of miles before deciding I'd best be sensible and call it quits.  Brought my kit to work intending to run lunchtime but forgot one very important item.....my running shoes.  DOH!   Departmental christmas do tonight means no more running for me today then. So...

What: 2 miles slooooooowly on ice
    Why: ice
    Last hard: the ice
    Last rest: 13 Nov

Have fun.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    No-run day for me today.

Feeling a bit at a loose end - my first day off when I felt I would rather run than rest. perhaps something's stirring within. If so, this way madness lies.

Popsider - sorry to here about the achilles, is that something which you've had trouble with in the past. Looks like the A5 is beckoning you!
  • Just read back over yesterday's thread

Wabo - wow! BA Hons, you go girl. Many, many congratulations  imageimageimage

Pops - sorry to hear the achilles is still sore. Have you been to see a doc? Perhaps some anti-inflammatories are in order to help with the healing process?

Generally lots of good running going on yesterday, just not from me image
    The cold has moved down to my chest even though I've been soooo careful. I guess my immune system was too down to fight this one off properly. Looks like I may have to reassess my VLM training plan - I don't think I'm ready for the first hard week next Monday! I wonder how much fitness you lose in a week? Right now I can't even manage the stairs at home without being out of breath!

• Afternoon all,

• What:  4m
    • Why:  Running 101
    • Last Hard: Yesterday
    • Last Rest: 26/11

Off to do the santa tour for a few days so won't be around.

Have a good few!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Twiggy - I get an extra quarter of a mile to the gym, the biggie is if I have to go from their to HQ (old was 1 mile new is 2.44 miles). The new routes get me lots of kerbs offroad lanes canals etc but they are not fast.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all, many thanks!

arclight, nice run yesterday! 

Me and my daughter went ice skating at somerset house last night and ate at the real greek, so a lovely evening was had!

What: club run later

why: needs must

last hard: tues session

last easy: weds

I will change back to just wabo, just going to show boat a little longer!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Afternoon

Wabo big Congrats You go girlimage

Mava big thanks for you support over my piddling amount of running means a lotimage

More for the Achilles club goodness it is getting bigger and bigger and that saddens me

A few things I found helped, drink loads of water, light weight shoes, exercise on step and not a lot of running.

What: Nothing
    Why rest day
    Last hard: christmas supermarket shopping
    I also had stress fracture 2 years ago and my shin is sore so just watching that at the moment.

Looking forward to run tomorrow although cold no icy or snowimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I am old school Tom cant get use to your new forum name
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Me neither Poppy - welcome back to the thread btw.

Wabo - was just reading back - what is your BA in ?  Whatever it is congratulations.

Tom/chick - no not really had a bad achilles injury in the past - normally it's my right ankle or left knee that gives me problems.   I don't think I'd bother the GP with it - it's not too bad and I'm only aiming to tick over running for the moment.  

Anyway - did the bike ride as planned - 31 miles up and down the A6 in the snow on fixed wheel bike - quite enjoyed it.   But the best bit of news is at last our boiler is fixed - 2 weeks of washing up in freezing cold water and huddling round an ancient electric fire at an end !

• I'm back!

Haven't been able to keep up whilst away but I note that congratulations are in order for Wabo and that AF and Alehouse are running again - so good news there.

I see that Poppy has reappeared! Long time no see, how are things?

(((Chickadeee))) - I've been thinking about you whilst I was away wondering how Mr C got on, hope the results were clear. You sound rough with your cold, you will lose no fitness in a week and if you need two weeks off running you will lose less fitness than if you try to run and end up with a chest infection or pneumonia - as a few on here can testify. Take it easy for as long as necessary and look after yourself.

What:                     4.5 miles.
    Why:                       recovery.
    Last hard:             6/12.
    Last rest:              17/12 - spent it on a plane!

Lyrics - can't say I do.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Afternoon all

Wabo I'm 3 years done and awaiting latest results tomorrow only 3 more yeats to go! I figure I know how hard you must have worked to acheive your degree so well done.

Nice to see you back LMH

What 5.2 miles commute
    Why  it wasn't snowing
    Lyrics no

Trying to fit runs in around work which is slightly hectic and the forcast white stuff won't help either.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

thanks postie postie, and all who know me know how many times I felt like giving up in the last few years, when it just seemed too much, so happy right now.  My results were due out tomorrow but I looked online and they were already up, are you OU if so it might be owrth checking?

popsider its a BA in child and youth studies

thanks wp, and put me in the achilles club, although it is behaving at the moment!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Wabo I'm doing Social sciences with human geography through the OU

Looked for my results an hour ago and they're not up yet.

• 6 years wabo/ postie, that is perseverence! I thought my 5 years were long enough!

Ditto on LMHs advice to chickadee, I've rushed out & felt worse because of it

wise training popsider, at least you're racking up some good bike mileage

What: 9 miles coming up with last to on grass in xc studs, Inc 10xstrides
    why: it's the season!
    Last hard: 12/12
    last rest: 10/12
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alright, alright.....Arclight's back in his box image

Tom
  • Tom - glad to hear thatimage

Wabo - huge congratulations.

Little Miss Happy - I haven't missed your report have I? How did you get on? Did you have a wonderful time?

What - 6 miles easy with husband - with a few little strides thrown in.

Good running everyone.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Wabo - well done indeed.

What - 8m
    Why - Base in the cold
    Last Hard - the cold tonight
    Last Rest - Monday

Take care all