Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options

Another 4.5M Steady on a cold clear winters morning.

Enjoyed it .

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Morning All ... ankle feels better than yesterday morning so I might try another lunchtime run ... it might even be snowing by then! image
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Is everyone still in bed? image

Well I did do a lunchtime run ... weather was actually lovely with no snow in sight (nice and sunny). I managed 7 miles, starting  from the Uni  then up to opposite Kirstall Abbey via the canal ... and then back again. The second half was a bit uncomfortable so I slowed right down - achilles was tight on the bad ankle and also I'm basically a bit unfit after the lay-off. Great to be running again though ...

7 miles, 67:42 (9:40 min/mile), avHR 140 bpm.

• Options

I would run, but I am currently writing the worst literature review in the history of the universe and it needs to be done by tomorrow (lastminuteessay.com)

Eugh.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    lastminuteessay.com ... watch out for "Turnitin", we use it on all submitted work in our Faculty. image
  • Options

haha, yeah they use it at King's.  I'm not plagarising anything, all  my own work image

I don't even think that site exists, it just popped in to my head as I was writing! 

I managed to get all my undergraduate essays done on time so I'm sure the postgrad ones will be fine as well!

• Options

Lunchtime run today in the snow (brrr!!)

Just a short easy 3.5 miles, as still testing out the calf, feels a little stiff now but nothing too bad.

• Options
    Ran in the snow in Scadbury Park nature reserve, 13.07km. Perfect! bring on the winter weather, woo hoo!
  • Options
    I'm back on the bench with my ankle.image but if we get some decent snow here I'll have to risk it and hit the hills for a hilly snow run, I think there is a law somewhere stating that it has to be done. I'll deffo be runnng christmas day as well, come what may, then it'll be back to the bench.image
  • Options

5miles steady this morning.

On a cold and frosty, but snow free ( so far ) West of Scotland morning.

• Options
    5 miles this morning through fresh snow, over the hill, through the woods and back along the canal - perfect. I am really enjoying winter running!
  • Options

Six miles at lunchtime.

We've had an inch or two of snow in Hertfordshire (Welwyn) which has meant most people aren't at work, but there wasn't enough to stop me running at lunch. Thought I would be a touch cold with the shorts on, but the sun was out and found it gorgeous.

Conditions under foot a little slippery so ran mainly on the road as that has been gritted unlike the foot path. After 2.5 miles, the last mile up a big hill, turned off for some off road action.

Wish I had a camera with me as I trampled through shin high snow drift through fields on the hills above Welwyn Garden City. No signs of children sledging (must be inside playing sledging on the Wii or xbox), so had some lovely views to myself. I even stopped to admire the view which I never do normally!

Feet got soaked and a little icy, but the last mile back along the roads helped warm them back up. Legs a bit red, smile very broad. As nick-c says above, this winter running is enjoyable!!

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

With having a suspect ankle, I decided that running in snow and ice might not be a good idea ... so, a day off fo me!image

• Options

Hi Guys and Girls

have'nt posted much,

but have had a exceptional good year of running, i have'nt done a final tot up yet,

hoping all of you are well, happy and fit

Mick

• Options
    Last night out with the club.  Fresh snow on the ground and only about 8 of us turned up, obviously hard core nutters.  We decided we'd go slow and see how the ground was and if anyone fell over we'd stop and walk back.  Luckily no-one fell over, the snow was so fresh, it was good to run on.  5.6 miles or thereabouts in just under an hour.   Flipping freezing, but strangley enjoyable.
  • Options

Got a week to catch up on!! image

Went out Tuesday and had 4 miles to do but wanted to do 5. Took a new route round the back end of Sankey from the motorway, nice big tarmac kerbs to run on.

Tried out the new More Mile top I got at the Stockport 10 on Sunday as I needed a hi-vis, really comfy and the run went well.

5.62 miles in 45:44 @ 8:08m/m pace.image

Out again on Thurday and had an 8 mile tempo/speed run and was going to take the same route as Tuesday and add a loop on the end. Got to park up point and realised i'd forgotten my Garmin GUTTED!! Set off anyway at what felt like 10K pace and did roughly 7 miles in about 50mins.  image

Out again yesterday and had 3 miles scheduled but decided to do em at very quick pace (for me anyway) and make it a 5K PB time as I did'nt really have one. Not a great idea having had chips, pie and gravy for my dinner 2 hours earlier but off I went!!

Little slippy underfoot but tried to keep to the thawed out bits as much as possible. Run went well and got a time of 21:08 for 3.15miles (slightly over 5K) with splits of 6:31, 6:50 and 6:46 which I was quite pleased with but could possibly take a little off this if a little fresher and without a pie dinner inside me!! LOL image

Picking up my new Linebreak compression top n bottoms after so gonna do a 3 miler later I think and have a scheduled 10miler tommorrow so the Linebreak stuff can have a proper testing!!image

• Options

Good stuff from everyone, looks like the injuries are waning as well image 

No running from me sine Wednesday, I have a 10k race tomorrow (40:30 target) so I'm tapering currently, But I'll report back tomorrow on how I did (if it even takes place, it's darn ice on the route today apparently).

• Options
    I'M BACK
    19/12/09 - 2.20M - 20'44
    Well I could contain myself no more. After getting my entry into the VLM next year only on Wednesday I just have to get into action. Woody just a solid sheet of ice and the pavement a crusty, frozen mass of messy ice. I decided to jog every so daintly up my road and ran oalong Sutton also in the road as it was clear. Up Long Lane making sure i didn't land too hard on ice to prevent any slippage. I ran the whole ran at this gentle pace and it seemed to work a treat.
    Just a case of doing it gently so as not to antagoise my foot. Writing this as few hours later my foot is OK. There is a slighht twinge there but OK.
  • Options

11.00km - 1:10:12 - Hardest run of my life

Ran around Botany Bay Lane, Petts Wood and the Scadbury Park Nature Reserve all around Chislehurst in North Kent. Ice, snow and more ice and snow image. I think the initial cold attacked my lungs as my HR was above 165bpm for the first 2km and I was warming up, running at 8-9kph. This settled down as the run progressed. The run was especially good to see the woodland so beautiful and also to attract the attention of various dogs who ran along with me much to their owners despair! I started running this year and wasn't prepared for how tough the run would be. That said it was no less enjoyable. Ploughing up the back trails in Scadbury Park up 1:4 to 1:10 hills in 4 inches of snow was exhilarating. Not sure if my legs and heart agreed image

My Salomon SpeedCross 2's never let me down once so I'd totally recommend them for adverse conditions. I never imagined running could be this good, so nice to know I made a good choice in taking it up.

• Options

Just back from a nice 'chilled' out run!! Meant to be a rest day but fancied getting in a few miles and trying out my Linebreak gear. Had 3 miles in mind and did 3.44 in 25:22 @ 7:23m/m pace.

Impressed with the new kit, I just ran in that and a vest and felt comfortable even in this cold!! image

• Options

Too much snow around here to run outdoors,so I took myself off to the gym to torture my mind on the treadmill,

Ended up doing 13.8 mile after getting treadmill running rage ,I had been running for about 45Min's when this guy got on the machine to my right he looked really good in his matching Adidas running vest and his high cut running shorts,and his brilliant white Nike trainers,

After the obligartry streches he then had a good look at the speed my machine was set at and he was off and sprinting (he did keep that pace up for longer than i thought he would) then he settled down to pace around mine ,But he just kept looking the display on the treadmill I was useing .

I had already made my mind up that there was no way I was stopping before him....image

He finaly stopped so I carried on for another 7 Min's (random I know) but I felt ok .Then another guy got on the treadmill to my left I imedietly pressed the stop button !!! Did my warm down on a spin bike and called myself a competative nutterimageSaw the bloke in the changing rooms and he said good run mate , yeah good run mate, I wonder if he knew he had been in a raceimage

• Options

CarlyWoo, are you studying at King's College, London?  That's where I was from '72 to '75 - can't recall anyone even referring to plagiarism then image  What are you reading?

Not been getting notifications from this thread but won't detain you with details of 4 or 5 outings.  Still running every day: 917 consecutive ones so far and nearly 5400 miles in my 'streak'.  

5 minutes of pathetic sner in Liverpool is all there's been, so no problem getting out at 5pm for 20 minutes [2.2 miles] to hit 40 for the week.  A week to the Chevin Chase on Boxing Day in Otley, W. Yorkshire image

• Options
    Swittle - I am indeed at King's, I'm training to be an English teacher so I'm a postgrad there, did my first degree in Southampton image
  • Options

Morning all, nice easy pace 4 miles for me this morning. Thought I'd run down on the beach this morning to avoid any ice on the pavements.

It's was fine when I got out of the car and did my warmup which takes me down to the beach but on  the front there was a fierce north-westerly .... so glad I'd put my new leggings on image. Glad to get to the turnaround point and then got blown back home and the sun came out so got a bit heated on the way back ... too many layers ... I just can't win image

• Options
    4 + miles for me- a bit stop starty due to ice. Got hot after 10 minutes and was the only one sweating that I saw.
  • Options

Today was the 10k race I've been looking forward to for ages.

It was dreadful.

The course was basically sheet ice, only about 30 people turned out and it was way below zero. I set off slightly slower then I originally planned, but by 5k my legs had stopped responding and I had to stop and take stock. I kept going, much slower than before, and ended up with 44:58 (7:14/mile, my half marathon pace for gods sake). I averaged 87% MHR throughout. It was an awful race, a complete struggle and I'm really disheartened by how bad it went.

• Options
    sounds like it shouldn't have gone ahead, CD - wouldn't stress over it: conditions on the road we can't control - and a far from shabby time on any surface - where was it btw?
  • Options
    It was the beach boulevard on Aberdeen Beach - essentially looking out into the North Sea. I do have another 10k on January 2nd, so I do have another chance.
  • Options

Garmin was going well till about 4 miles in where I must of pressed stop when checking stats!! Only realised a couple of miles down the road but still clocked over 10 miles on the Garmin so using map my run and using average pace to fill the gap it looks like I did 12 1/2 miles in 1hr 45mins which in the conditions i'm happy with!! AVG pace of 8:25m/m even with the slipping!! image

I did stop at 1 point to take a pick which i'll try n post up later and at points I could'nt look up else I got a mush full of snow it was falling so thick!! image

The run was a real mental as well as physical challenge and people driving past must of thought what a loon!! I did see a couple of other nutters though and followed someones footprints for what must of been 3 miles past Fiddlers Ferry!! image 

• Options

Good luck with that one, CD image

No sner in Liverpool but a biting N/NW wind which I avoided by 'tacking' through side roads in Crosby & Thornton.  Fine into historic Little Crosby but hard going west to coastguard station.  Almost pitch black on the prom and an easier half mile on the beach before taking to well lit paths & roads from the Baths home.

10 miles, 1:30:29.  4 layers on top, 3 layers down belowimage, hat & gloves - warm as toast!  image