Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Andy (sub-4:00)

Introducing the third member of our Lucozade Sport Super Six… Andy (aka AndyV).

Andy's only been running a year but is now gearing up for his first attempt at the big one, and hoping to go sub-4:00 to boot.

Andy will be using our sub-4:00 Garmin-ready schedule (devised by former London Marathon winner Mike Gratton) as a basis for his training and will be mentored by Steve Smythe directly on this thread (starting January 4).

He’ll be posting his training progress and be receiving fuel and hydration advice directly from the Lucozade Sport sports scientists live on this thread so make sure you check back regularly to find out how he gets on.

You can read more about Andy's running background and goals by clicking on the article link at the top of the thread.

Good luck Andy!

Comments

• Yeah good luck, I ducked under 4 hours in my first London, it was fantastic, I'm sure you'll do it!!
  • AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Cheers Mr P. Still on a high at being selected. Looking forward to your imput over the next four or so months. I'm gonna need it!image
  • Well if I don't do it in 2010 then I'm giving up marathon running.

Good luck Andy. No pressure image

• fat face wrote (see)

Well if I don't do it in 2010 then I'm giving up marathon running.

Oi, none of that  or you get a Paddington Extra Hard Stare, you'll both storm over that finish line together.  Good luck both of you

• Hi everyone

I have every confidence in Andy as long as he doesn't do a fatface and get injured weeks before while in great shape! Hopefully both Andy and fatface will sail inside 4 together in April.

• AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Damn right VLM 2010 Bring it on

See you at the finish line Fatface image   (or more likely...get me a beer in for when i finally catch you up)

Isn't it easy being confident when you've just had your lardy work xmas lunch two weeks before the hard work really starts!image

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    What do you mean 2 weeks before the work really starts? Where's your pre-schedule schedule?image
  • AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Beer and mince pies image

Running wise I'm used to doing three runs a week of varying length up to 10k. Have done more (and longer distances in the past up to HM) but am not taking part in an event until March (Reading HM).  I have tried to increase this to 4 this week (in prep for the schedule) but the snow and ice have prevented me doing the 4th this morning grrrrrr.  Might try and fit in a cheeky 5k in the gym now before getting kids to bed.

I'll fill in more tonight (or over the weekend) peeps

Cheers for now 

• Agreed a lardy lunch (or two) are allowed until December 25 and then the pre schedule could start in the style of a former Today's Runner-type schedule of a 26 mile run at 8:45 miling on Boxing Day...or maybe that can wait until April...

Am thinking it would be an idea to find some more races before Reading to see your racing shape is progressing - they don't have to be big races or taken too seriously but I think it breaks the training up a little and reveals more than training does.

• Good luck with it Andy,i  ran London last year my 1st marathon got round in 3 .57 ,its not easy mate but you will find everyone on the forums will support you loads over the next few hard mths!

Just enjoy it mate you will be amazed hoe much it changes your perspective on stuff !!image

• Good luck Andy...I'll be training along side you for the Paris marathon and probably lurking on your thread a bit.  I'm really envious of your being selected for this....your memories of your first VLM will be amazing.

As fat face said, no pressure.

• Listen here mini-me, like I said the other week, you're going to come round the corner by the Palace, see the 26 mile marker (cunningly disguised as "385 yds to go") and then you'll see the clock over the finish line starting with 3h4xmxxs........
  • AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Lincoln Gooner: 3:57 this year in the heat. Awesome buddy must have felt great when you finished. That is my goal exactly for VLM 2010. Anyway welcome to the thread look forward to sharing the experience with you.
  • AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Lake: Welcome and thanks for contributing on this thread. i know I'm very fortunate and am really going to make the most of this opportunity. Looking forward to your contributions over the next few months. Doing Paris is pretty cool. How many marathons have you done?. I'm guessing (but not assuming) that your not a newbee like me
  • AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Steve (Coach): Thanks for your input already. Means alot fella. I think your right about entering more events. I'll do abit of research and try and find some local small ones.

Additionally i'm already thinking about March time and thinking with Reading and Dorney on consecutive sundays (both HM's) I may need to tweak the official schedule to bring forward some longer runs. Anyway plenty of time to worry about that later i guess. For now..as I say... thanks for getting involved already .

Cheers AndyV 

• AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    yeah I'll give it some thought EP. I need to work out things in line with schedule and check in with Steve. Thanks for the heads up though. 
  • AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Welcome to the Sub 4 Hr Thread! imageimageimage. I kind of wanted to start with this but hey "better late than never!"

If, like me, you want to "do it in 4" this is the place to be. I also want to welcome any marathon newbees (not just London) or wannabes (2010 and beyond). In truth I have no idea what I've let myself in for, or what I'm capable of, but doesn't that apply to all first timers right?

My RW profile and the Super Six links will hopefully tell you abit about me and what I'm about. I will know doubt fill in the blanks as this journey continues. For now all you need to know is that I appeciate  i'm really lucky to win this prize and will make the very most of this opportunity. I'm gonna share all i learn and want as many of you to get involved as possible. Don't be shy get involvedt!image

Pre schedule I'll keep you informed of what I get up to running wise. I envisage this covering the basics such as how to warm up properly (I thought I knew but boy was I wrong) and  what I've learnt from the Lucozade science dudes already. Schedule proper kicks off on Mon 4th Jan and ,well, I guess i'll tell you about my plans in advance for that also.

Oh by the way running is my escape from a busy hectic life. My mind tends to wander when clocking up the miles. Expect the odd random thought of the day comment or just plain rambling at times. Today's thought::

We've had the eighties, nineties and noughties. Are we really going to look back at the next decade as the "teenies"? Doesn't sound right does it? Sounds like a CBeebies programme my little boy Jack is keen on.  image

PS: Check out the video on the Super Six link. Watch the warm ups without sound. It's like a Monty Python "Ministry of Silly Walks Sketch". You have no idea how nervous us so called "supersixers" have been about the dreaded vid bit!

Lastly let me know your out there Sub 4 dudes,newbees and wannabies. Get in contactimage

Bye for now

AndyV

• Ang12Ang12 ✭✭✭

Hi Andy

Good luck with the training, I ran my first marathon, London this year in 4:15, so I'll be lurking on here as I was lucky enough to get in through the ballot and I'd love to dip under 4 hours in 2010.

Believe it or not, I am finding this year a bit more daunting cos I actually know what I am letting myself in for, this year was blissful ignorance ... thats not to say that I didn't put the training in!

Anyway I'll be following your thread and hope to pick up some tips!

Ang

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Hello Andy,

Best wishes with this one.

I am also hoping for a sub 4 in my 1st '26.2' marathon - how much of a sub four is an unknown at the moment.

Good luck again.
  • Morning Andy - just wanted to wish you all the best of luck with your training!image

'ello Mr K - I'm not stalking you honest image

• Morning Andy - just popping in to see what the speedy sub 4 ers were up to.

It's looking good.

I have to say this Super Six things feels like the biggest and best Christmas pressie ever!! It's like being 9 again!!!

Have a good day y'all

• spinkletoes wrote (see)

I have to say this Super Six things feels like the biggest and best Christmas pressie ever!! I

Doesn't it just?image

Morning all

• AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Ang12: Welcome to the thread. 4:15 this year in the heat. Sounds to me like 2010 is your year to go Sub 4image

Anyway looking forward to your input over the next few months.

Cheers AndyV

• Ang12Ang12 ✭✭✭

Thanks Andy, just back from the annual club cup run ... 6 mile cross country .... and I mean CROSS COUNTRY!  I am sure it was tougher than the marathon image 

Club party tonight so will feel like I have earned my glass of Vino or 2 or 3 ........

• AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭

Mr Krimbo: Sounds like we're in the same boat. Speaking to people who have done it (not least coach Steve) I've got the potential to "do it in 4"  based on smaller distance times (best hm 1h42). Still we've no idea really have we. I hear hitting mile 20 is the shocker!

I'm gonna recieve a load of advice from the experts and the forumites so keep checking in and contributing. Prior to the schedule officially kicking off (4th Jan) I will post a few bloggs about info gained in the last few weeks. This will cover strethching techniques and nutrition info already received from Lucozade advisors. These have already radically improved my post run recovery. Hopefully you'll find some of interesting and useful.  

Cheers

AndyV