Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Christina (sub-3:00)

Introducing the first member of our Lucozade Sport Super Six 2010 … Christina (aka just back from a run).

Christina already holds the Guinness World Record for Fastest Marathon Dressed as a Super Heroine (3:13) but is now looking to build on the fitness she’s acquired from recently completing Ironman UK to achieve a sub-3:00 marathon time.

Christina will be using our sub-3:00 Garmin-ready schedule (devised by former London Marathon winner Mike Gratton) as a basis for her training and will be mentored by Paul Evans directly on this thread (starting January 4).

She’ll be posting her training progress and be receiving fuel and hydration advice directly from the Lucozade Sport sports scientists live on this thread so make sure you check back regularly to find out how she gets on.

You can read more about Christina’s running background and goals by clicking on the article link at the top of the thread.

Good luck Christina!

Comments

• How exciting!

Good luck JBFAR. Looking forward to watching you get your sub3. No funny outfits this year!

• JBFAR, go girl! good luck, don't forget to drop in to sub 3 thread every so often!

• Hi Christina!

Just dropping by.

Have you watched the video yet?

• JBFAR, all the best with training and the ultimate target!
  • Wayhey the threads are up at last!

Good luck Christina, have a fab and scarily quick 'journey'image

• Best of luck with the training Christina. I'll be running London in April and whilst 3 hours is beyond my reach for now, i'll look forward to reading your blog and pinching a few training secrets!
  • JBFAR - I think it was you who WALZTED past me in FLM 2008 when you were dressed as Supergirl. Disheartening for me, but fantastic for you as you were running into the record books.

Good luck for the next 4 months and here's looking forward to April 25th 2010

• Hi Christina

I hope you are not slipping around to much in the snow, it might be worth trying to find some grass or trails this weekend, as the forecast is not great for the rest of the weekend, keep me posted !

• *knocks on the door*

Hello?

Is it working now?

• Wow, unbroken thread image.

right JBFAR there's alot of catching up to do. 

1. Running history

2. List of PB's

3. training programme for Supergirl exploits last year, weekly mileage etc.

4. Inside leg measurement /shoe size /Gloves and hat girl or left exposed to the elements and freeze

That'll do for now.

• Yay!!...  a working thread... little talk from me today... should be buying xmas presents or even running - i've spent far too much time on these forums lately. Look forward to hearing what you've been up to. 
  • AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    yay, its working. Anyway a belated "best of luck" to you.
  • Just to wish you the best of luck on your travels to the Mall 2010.....See you there.......... if you are nice enough to wait for me  lol.
  • Hello everyone!

After a little technical glitch i think i'm back and 'running'!! that said, I was the one who broke it last time, so we will see!! So I have a bit of a back log of things to say so bear with me...

I am really looking forward to chatting with you all on the forums and sharing advice/tips and highs and lows. Be great to hear what you are up to. The marathon can be very lonely if you don't have fellow marathonites around!! The challenge ahead is slowly sinking in- Sub 3 is definitely a challenge for me! YIKES! I have been putting in lots of base miles ready to start the schedule in January. ..!!

• Windy wrote (see)

Wow, unbroken thread image.

right JBFAR there's alot of catching up to do. 

1. Running history

2. List of PB's

3. training programme for Supergirl exploits last year, weekly mileage etc.

4. Inside leg measurement /shoe size /Gloves and hat girl or left exposed to the elements and freeze

That'll do for now.

1)  I have been running really since I was 8, although, as I went onto focus on triathlons when I was 15,I never 100% focused on just running until the 2008 marathon where I did a 16 week schedule leading up  to it, just running.  I didn the UK Ironman this year and after I was physically tired and mentally tired so had a complete break.  I have been running again since September and am currently on 40 miles a week.

2) PBS- 10k 37.48 minutes (stubbington green), half marathon: 1hr 27 (wokingham), marathon 3hr 13 mins (London)  My only other marathon (Rome) I did 3 hr 23 minutes.

3) I followed the RW schedule-it was the sub 3.30 one but i kind of did a bit of the sun 3.15 one.  I was running 4-5 times a week.. so I am really looking to completely focus on running and increase my weekly mileage to do the sub 3 schedule.

4) Don't know inside leg measurement! My trainer size is 7 for some reason as my normal size is 5.5!!Funnily enough i bought some running gloves at the weekend..but no to hats they irritate me too much!!

anynore questions?!

• lamkjo wrote (see)
    Yay!!...  a working thread... little talk from me today... should be buying xmas presents or even running - i've spent far too much time on these forums lately. Look forward to hearing what you've been up to. 

Hey Lamkjo- the forums are a bit addictive aren't they!  So what time are you aiming for in 2010 VLM?

I have just come back from a run- it was supposed to be my 7 miler but had to divert due to conditions and ended up doing 8!  how did that happen?  Its really grim outside- cars everywhere, snowing and slush on the ground...If it stays like this i am wondering if its worth investing in trail type shoes??

• Hi Jokerman

Yes im not underestimating the challenge at all..It's a massive one for me... I  have to knock 35 seconds off every mile of my PB in the VLM.  I am hoping that with the extra mileage that I will be doing along with all the extra advice/support I will be able to achieve the goal. 

Im doing a 10k on Boxing day which will show where I am at at the moment- however i havent done a lot of tempo stufff so not expecting brilliant things but a good indicator.

I guess regarding running I have mainly focused on the shorter events therefore maybe had more joy at them?  But am confident that I do have the endurance capacity to do the increased milegage...it's going to be an interesting journey that'sfor sure!!

• Hey Christina, good to hear from you... I was having a sneaky peak at the forums whilst checking my email, so thought i'd reply!

Not sure how fast i'm gonna run the marathon at the moment, i've been fleeting about the threads from sub 3:15 to sub 4 and yours, to see how you're all doing (as my nominated supersixer's) but also to gather some different viewpoints and training tips. Basically I only started running properly six months ago and am not sure how fast I can go at the moment - it's partly why i'm enjoying it so much. I've run two halves, B'ham in Oct... I clocked 1hr55 but I didn't train properly and had to stop twice before the end to stretch off as I thought my knee was about to giveway and I clocked 1hr41 in Bedford a couple of weeks back but again training in the lead up was not ideal and whilst I got round, I died in the last four miles. Hope to be around 90mins HM before London. I'm comfortably running in the 7's min/mile at the moment over longer distances (10-15M) and 3:30, 8min miling looks reasonable to me... however having spoken to people, a lot of whom are currently running a lot faster and of whom have been running a lot longer than me, I appreciate it's not as simple as that (for a 1st timer, I gather the key is how one copes from 20M+). Anyhow to tie off a long reply, i've got a lot of work to do and it depends how the training goes. I need to join a running club also as I haven't thus far. On the plus side, i'm self-employed and haven't got too much work on at the moment. Also as I haven't got family commitments fitting in the training is a not a problem.

Anyhow, hope I haven't bored you with the long reply. Glad to see you're keeping up with the running in the cold. Apart from the slipping and slidding once you start running and the cold is no longer an issue it looks lovely out there and yes, thought about the trail shoes myself - although was thinking of the alternatives like finding off road or something?

Bye for now and all the best with the training! (best wishes for xmas also)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭

JBFR  - i note you have already run a 37 mins 10K, which is sub 6 m/m so really going by most calculators you should be shouting for way inside sub 3.  I'd be surprised if you did not achieve your sub 3 goal off that kind of 10k time.  I did it off a 38 min 10K, but did do high mileage training.  What sort of time will you be going for on Boxing Day?

• TRTR ✭✭✭

JBFAR - nice to see your thread active. I still maintain that endurance and not leg speed will be your limiter (and mine) on VLM day, the 10K time does bode well, but you need the endurance work.

Tell Deano to get himself entered into the SWashbuckler and get to it, otherwise he'll be getting fat over Christmas.

• JBFAR - there seems to be a discrepancy between your 10k time posted on this page (37:48) and that given on the homepage of this thread (37:00).  Either way, I think that sub 3 is well within your reach and with a structured programme and Level 4 Coach mentoring you should be looking at low 2:50s.
  • Good point made my TR re. endurance not leg speed being the limiting factor given your pbs.

Question for Paul Evans - will you be adapting the programme JBFAR will be following to reflect this?  Would the same programme apply to someone with a 40min 10k pb and (say) 3:02 marathon time?