GobiGobi ✭✭✭
What: 10.4 icy tempoesque miles d&d
Swimming Lunchtime
Intervals PM
Gym PM
Why: why not
Last hard: Saturday
Last rest: Monday 23rd November

Careful out there people it is slippy :¬)

Comments

• Morning folks.

Nice one Gobi.

Will read back later, but for now.

What: 1hr gentle turbo d&d / 12m incl 2 x 3m @ mara effort / core / weights + possibly yoga all to come later.
    Why: Monday.
    Last hard: last 2m of yesterday's long run.
    Last rest: 13th Dec.
    Lyrics: Yep.

Have a great day y'all!!!

• Thank you for the kind words. I was initially quite disappointed with my race, well, the run, but a couple of days talking to far more experienced and faster IM than me and hearing how their races had gone in the circumstances put it into perspective and I'm holding on to the advances I've made in the swim and on the bike - which are both quite significant, last year I swam in 1.32 and biked 6.46 and whilst it's difficult to compare the same course on a different day let alone different courses Almere was certainly not harder on the bike than WA and I've never even swum the distance that fast in the pool so I have to be happy with progress if not content.

TR - it's was knowing that people would be looking and counting and waiting for me to cross that next timing mat that helped me to keep going at times. There's a lot of work still to be done and improvements to be made but at the minute I need some down time so for December I'm exercising as I feel rather than 'training' - more needed mentally than physically, it's a long time to keep the focus and level of work. Any idea when you might make your debut?

Mava - well done on the club place and the great improvements.

What:                         a little swim.
    Why:                           taking it easy.
    Last hard:                  5/12.
    Last rest:                   16/12.

Lyrics - don't believe I do.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning.

What:4.5M Steady on 'crunchy snow' earlier this mornng.

Why: Bodyclock still not Realised I'm on holiday, so out at my usual time !

Gobi: Good run and it is indeed slippy, in some places very slippy.

Our 3 kids are all delighted with the snow arriving

Lyrics: Not today.

Have a good one

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Morning
    Birthday congrats to Jnr Paddy and TT, and also belated best wishes to Moraghan..
    Well race at the w/e - Gobi, RFJ, Scobos, Blisters, Mike, Jason and anyone else I've omitted.

Saturday - 13 mile run with mate of mine at 7am, flippin' freezing, hands numb, legs a fetching shade of pink! Followed that with an hours massage then 4 hours trying to clear snow and ice off the road. 
    Sunday - club christmas run, 8 miles on country lanes plus 2miles each way to get there/back.
    Today - 3 easy recovery

Anybody else working until Thursday?

• Hi everyone, hope I can join in logging my runs, it's very motivating and I haven't been on the forum in ages. I was on here about 2 years ago and can remember Dustin and Gobi.

What: 7M inc. 3 x mile repeats

Why: Speedwork

Dubai Marathon 5 weeks away

• Morning folks.

Drawing a blank on today's lyrics.

Dustin - yip, I'm in work until Thursday (though am trying to negotiate getting Thursday off...probably unsuccessfully though). A great weekend's running by the way.

Sandrunner - welcome (back).

Blistered feet are blimmin' killing me this morning. Drained, covered in plasters, and I'm still hobbling about. But I'll still be running this evening...

...don't think we'll be able to do the planned tempo session at the club due to the icy pavements, so we'll probably end up on the local golf courses (with headtorches) for a steady run. Despite the tee boxes, ropes, fences and hidden bunkers, it's probably a bit lower-risk than the pavements! Always a good laugh.

Have a great day.  
  • Afternoon Peeps

Sandrunner Welcome

Jason....That is so kind of you Thank you

What: Nowt
    Why: busy Day and ice and Snow
    Last hard: sainsburies this morning
    Last rest : today
    Last time sliped on ice: Today

I cant run till Wednesday as too busy and knee is a little sore but glad with weather as so icy and slippy just walking never mind running.

Remember Guys protect what you haveimage

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Afternoon,

Dustin - yes, I'm working through to Thursday (although Thursday itself is likely to be a "working from home" day, knocking off at lunch time and with an optician appointment in the morning, so hardly a working day!).

What: 5.5M
    Why: all I had time for
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Saturday

And, yes, it is definitely slippy out there!

• Afternoon

What: around 20 mins slow and steady
    Why: managed to get out on the snow, only falling once on a short downhill slope...actually a very controlled fall as there was no way I was going to stay on my feet, so just slid down the rest of the way on my backside.
    Last hard: Dec 13
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: don't think so

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Afternoon peeps,

cor, LMH that is some race report!  I really enjoyed reading it and I think you've done marvellously well under the circumstances.  Running in the heat is never easy.  BTW, I think I'd have totally lost my nerve before the race, what with the bike trouble and then your bags *nearly* going AWOL.  Nightmare or what??

Lots of good racing/running going on at the weekend, despite the snow. 

Swapped running for walking this WE as my chest infection is still lingering and I couldn't stay indoors any longer. 

Dustin, I'm working right up until New Year's Eve.  How sad is that?  But then off home for a few days and not back at work until Jan. 6

Welcome, Sandrunner.

Ouch, Welsh Poppy. Hope it's nothing serious?

What: 40mins on the dreadmill, then rigor mortis set in
    Why: bad cold, don't dare run outside just yet
    Last hard: tready running is hard - how on earth TT did 20miles is beyond my comprehension but he sure deserves a medal for tenacity
    Last rest: all of last week image

• Afternoon all,

Back from my santa sojourn.  I haven't read back, but it looks like I need to chase up LMH imageimageimage

Don't know the lyrics, but it sounds like I could have written them.

• What:  5m Robin Cousins inpression
    • Why:  Recovery
    • Last Hard:  Devonian
    • Last Rest; 19/12

Have a good one!

• Hi Sandrunner!

Chickadeee - do you not get the bank holidays off? To be honest all the stress with bike and bags probably helped the nerves as I just thought that I must have had all the hassle I was going to already and surely the race must go ok. It's strange cos you do about six months of training for that one day and if it doesn't go right then it's just tough, you can't turn around and do one a month later using all that training and fitness, long distance tri is a fickle thing. Should you even be running on a treadmill?

Scobos - I shall wag my nursey finger at you too and warn you about running with the blisters that might alter your gait adversely and cause trouble - especially with conditions underfoot being as they are.

• LMH - I do get the bank holidays off !  I just felt really sorry for myself coz everybody around me has buggered off already and won't be back until early Jan whereas I have to come in between xmas & New Year's just because they want somebody in.  Grrrr.  It's completely dead here ... yawn. 
    Luckily my RHR is back to normal and the coughing has all but stopped, so I think I'm ok to ease back into things. The treadmill is the safest place right now - don't have to breathe cold air and should my HR do funny things I can just stop and call it a day but boy, it is boooring.  I'm not sure I can face a whole week of that.  Might do a mix of crosstrainer & spinning bike tomorrow instead. 

• Evening

Sounds cold back there

what: 12 miles at 1/2M pace, including club 6 mile run in the middle
    why: Like sandrunner its 5 weeks to Dubai Marathon
    Last Hard:Tonight expecially after a pub lunch with Mrs DD, DD1 & DD2
    Last Rest: Friday

Lyrics> Nope
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon fellow slippers and sliders.

Likewise myself - 7 miles steady. Pavements and side roads slippery with packed snow so had to run on the main road. Although the main roads were clear of snow and slush sadly they weren't clear of morons driving 4x4s. What is it with these people!

Anyway decent run managed. Down to Ferry Meadows (local country park) tomorrow for 12m off road.

Time for a mince pie.

Ho, Ho, Ho and all that stuff.
  • Chickadeee - I shall still my wagging finger in that case image

Tom - being born and bred in Peterborough I have fond memories of Ferry Meadows, thought you were Lincolnshire rather than Cambridgeshire?

Talking of Cambridgeshire - where's Stickless?

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LMH - I live near Spalding, South Lincs - its about 25 miles from Peterborough. Normally get to run round FM about once every 5-6 weeks. Lovely running. I was a member of NVH.
  • What:  a.m. 2.57m easy, p.m. 6.1m easy.

Why:  Getting dull monday workout in.  Knees are hurting, conditions irritating.

Will there be snow / ice on the track tomorrow I wonder....

• Tom - I was a Nene Valley Lady briefly in my youth - it's a small world.

Moraghan - do you run to time (hence the odd distances) and why the short doubles?

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Gutted to report the weather here is so bad I have had to cancel training and cannot get to the gym either. Maybe I will do a turbo session but then that was planned for tomorrow.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

evening.

this darn weather!   I decided to be sensible today so instead of running on an ice rink here in Kent I got an early train into town and plodded 4 miles between London Bridge station and work.  Hard work as my back pack was heavy! 

As I came home from work the snow in central london started. But down here in Kent it's rain which is turning the last 5 days' worth of snow into horrible slippery slush.  With a freeze expected overnight tonight I think I'll have my streak broken by the weather!   

so...

What: 4 miles with a heavy back pack
    Why: streak saver!
    Last hard: bits of that
    Last rest: 13 November

starting to get stir crazy that I can't get any long running done!  

TTFN

• Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

Moraghan - do you run to time (hence the odd distances) and why the short doubles?

Most of the time the odd distances are just a coincidence of geography.  I run to a general mileage goal and not time.

I've added doubles recently so I am gradually building them up, hence the low numbers - I hope they will end up at about 3.5 to 4 miles, 5 times a week.  Long term I will max out at 40 minutes with these, but not this season.  A few reasons for them but principally because they seem to make the primary session of the day a little easier while allowing for more accumulated mileage with less fatigue.  There are very few top runners who run once a day so I will try and emulate them wherever possible within my own limits.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - consistency will improve your bike further and that will improve your run too. I was pretty close to commiting to a long race for 2010. But decided that my life is too mad with all the kids sports, I just cant commit to the long rides. Most of my training needs to be banked by 9am even on a weekend. My kids are going to be playing more cricket next summer (as well as all the summer footie) and it looks like my little lad will be playing matches in other Counties too - plus I've commited to running one of the teams at the club too. 

So the answer is - I'm not - for now. VLM, Swashbuckler, NF 1/2 IM and Abo for me in 2010. With too many running miles to be the best I can be in the Tris and not enough running miles to be the best I can be in the marathons. Which suits me nicely. 
  • Thanks for the explanation Moraghan.

TR - fair do; it really does take over your life and you have to want it badly to keep going at some points.

• Gobi - I know the feeling. My gym is only half a mile away, but trying to get there now would be like trying to mount an arctic expedition! image I've already turboed and run so it's junk and a movie tonight for me! Hard life image

Nice one on the xc Paddy.

Likewise Jason.

Welcome Sandrunner.

Re: the treadie 20miler - it wasn't that bad. Once I got in a rhythm I simply switched off and done it. Quite enjoyable in an odd sort of way tbh.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Twiggy - I just took the evening off as I had run and swum :¬)