Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Christina (sub-3:00)

Comments

• Hi JBFAR
    Good to see your fred working. As others say, your 10k pb stands out, although I'd personally say (based on as little info as others are using) that its someone academic what your 10k pb is, you need decent endurance.

As an example, my 10k pb is from 2004 and about 10 seconds slower than yours. That year I ran a 3.11 and was very happy. Took me til 2008 to beat it with a 3.02 then better last year (not allowed to say how much in case Ant is lurking). But 10k pb remains unbeaten - partly cos I've not done many, but also just the fact my marathon pb and half (1,23) are now much more closely aligned to the 10k time than my 3.11.

Good luck with it all.
  • Chuffed to see your thread's all fixedimage
  • welcome everyone...Great to see you on here...for those who don't know ,TR, BR and Hilly have all achieved sub 3 and are all fantastic athletes...I could certainly learn a lot from them so hopefully they will be on here a bit?!

BR: Yes sorry it was 37:48 as said on the other page...I did this in 2005 and havent managed it since, so am hoping to get back to this standard next year

Hilly: I would like to go sub 40 at the Boxing Day 10k- depending on the ice situation!  When you said on a previous thread you were doing 80 miles a week to do the sub 3- it really hit home to me that I need to increase my mileage.  I am going to chat to Paul about doing 2 runs a day at the end of January.

TR: Deano is thinking about it!!  and you get my orange vest vote btw image

Lamkjo: Your 7's min/mile at the moment over longer distances (10-15M) sounds impressive to me!  The fact you are flexible with training is great andf also a massive advantage I have!! Hope you stick around on this thread and share your training experiences too!

• Jezza_B wrote (see)
    Hi JBFAR Good to see your fred working. As others say, your 10k pb stands out, although I'd personally say (based on as little info as others are using) that its someone academic what your 10k pb is, you need decent endurance. As an example, my 10k pb is from 2004 and about 10 seconds slower than yours. That year I ran a 3.11 and was very happy. Took me til 2008 to beat it with a 3.02 then better last year (not allowed to say how much in case Ant is lurking).

It was 2:57 wasnt it Jezza?

Best of luck JBFAR - Looking forward to reading how you progress. Your 10k is very strong, no doubt. Just build them there miles!

• Hello again-and welcome Jezza.  3.02 aye- are you going for sub 3 next year too?

so I need to do more miles...how many per week do you think? There must be a n average amount that sub 3 athletes do?  Paul has said he wants me doing 50 per week by January (this is more than i have done before)

I have a question about training twice a day- Is it better to do this than one long run?  I am guessing in terms of time management and keeping injury free training twice a day is beneficial?

• Just had a read back.  Feck, and I thought I was under pressureimage

If ploddy me can offer any advice, I've seen you run, you're amazingly quick and if anyone can make the target you've set yourself you can.

Run your own race, take the best advice you can from your coach and do your best.  Nobody can ask for more.

• Hi JBFAR - best of luck with your training and goal of a sub 3.

For what its worth I have completed 3 marathons now and have had some ups and downs. My best performance was following some advice from BR & Hilly. "Nobody got slower by pushing out more miles" or words to that effect.

Are you local to Hants as I now run for Stubbington, were you set your 10 K PB?

Are you doing the Pool 10 Boxing Day?

• ahhhh, thanks Hash...i do feel a bit under pressure tbh, but it will all be good motivation to get me through!!

BTW, i am doing the following races in 2009/2010

Poole Boxing Day 10k, Bramley 20 mile, Wokingham half, Reading half, Dorney Lake pacing event.

• Hi TS- yep winchester!  just rejoined Winchester running club.  are you doing the Poole 10k?

• Race Jase wrote (see)

It was 2:57 wasnt it Jezza?

very marginally better than that RJ image

just back from a run wrote (see)

Hello again-and welcome Jezza.  3.02 aye- are you going for sub 3 next year too?

so I need to do more miles...how many per week do you think? There must be a n average amount that sub 3 athletes do?  Paul has said he wants me doing 50 per week by January (this is more than i have done before)

I have a question about training twice a day- Is it better to do this than one long run?  I am guessing in terms of time management and keeping injury free training twice a day is beneficial?

I'm a low mileage bloke JBFAR, so def can't help on 2 runs in a day ... sometimes only manage that in a week.  Averaged 28mpw in 2008, 36mpw in 2009, with my own version of the Furman plan (one tempo/interval sess, one low double digit, one long, but not slow run).  Key session was the 20 miler - I did 8 from Jan to end March last time - daunting prospect looking to do at least as much this time

Good luck with your 10k on Boxing Day 

• just back from a run wrote (see)

Hi TS- yep winchester!  just rejoined Winchester running club.  are you doing the Poole 10k?

Great Club Winchester....say hi to Emma from meimage

Cant make Poole 10k this year but will be at Bramley again!

Looking forward to following this thread again this year, last years sub 3 for BBB was inspirational....with loads of great advice from some top athletes....

• JBFAR - will you be 'allowed' to do more volume/running than the RW schedule suggests? My sub 3.15 topped out at 53 max last year and I know that Liz would have had to go back to 'RW Towers' had I really pushed to do more. It might have changed though for 2010.

• Re. twice per day running...

I would think in terms of making the 2nd run in addition to the schedule you are following, rather than to break up what is there.  Sounds like a good idea to ask Paul about tweaking the schedule like this.

• SueC - maybe they'll allow as much tweaking as is necessary to show that the Garmin plans `work', as it's commercially driven to follow these as a marketing tool.
  • No expert but for someone looking to work on endurance rather than speed then you would get more benefit from doing one longer run I suspect than breaking the run into two, unless (as BR suggests) the second is in addition.

A number of my runs are now 8-10 miles (will increase too probably in the New Year) and supplement the Sunday traditional long run very well indeed, particularly if you add in some paced work to these runs (speed endurance essentially)

BR - I guess it then depends on the size of the 'tweaking' as to whether it is then a Garmin schedule at all!

• Sue C: Question for Paul I guess as we haven't been told otherwise so far...

Paul did say we could look at doing 2 runs a day at the end of Jan which I am keen to try but I guess it depends on RW as you said....

• TRTR ✭✭✭

JBFAR - Oi ! I'm no aflete ! I just run a bit.

I'm with SueC, my current (numpty non schedule) approach is to make my runs a nominal 10M, with a 12 and an 18 thrown in too. I only run 4 or 5 times/week though and am just building back up after a foot issue. IMO the most valuable runs for someone lacking endurance are the weekend 20 and a midweek 13-15M. I'll be backing that up with 2 or 3 x 10M. All steady stuff.

• JBFAR - Just popped in to wish you good luck on your campaign, only 126 days to go image May see you in Poole Park on Boxing Day as I'm racing that one as well. ( Yellow/Blue Bournemouth Vest)
  • Another sub 3 poster popping in to wish you all the best for your sub 3 attempt. I'd have thought that your endurance should be at a good level having trained and completed an iron man! In your quest to get more miles in don't neglect the x training to take a break and rest from the impact miles that your legs will accumalate. Intresting disscusion with Hilly. Sounds like there should be women specfic sub 3 schedule if so much extra work is required for a quality lady runner to get a sub 3 compared to a man. Especially if it's the equivalent of a sub 2:45 time for a bloke.
    Anyways will be following with interest, good luck.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Ginger - I'm no expert, but I think JBFAR has more natural talent than I have and is 13 years younger than I was when I went sub 3 so she may be albe to achieve her sub 3 off a lot less miles than I put in. 

I know for me it takes a lot of high mileage, but as we are all different runners with different strengths and weaknesses I guess different things work.  It took me 7 years to find what works for me and that was with the help of Mike Gratton, so hopefully JBFAR will find what works for her with the help of Paul.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    JBFAR  - you wont be able to miss Marigold, he'll be the one at the front thats about 7 ft tall and has the Ark Royal on one foot and the Invincible on the other. Get him to introduce you to your Dad's boss if he's there - he'll be the one nearish the front in the footie kit.
  • Marigold/TR: I will look out for the super quick giant in the Bournemouth vest then!  I will have a black and yellow vest on- Winchester AC... I'm hoping its not going to be icy but I dont think Poole has been hit my the latest freeze has it?!

Ginger N: hello!  Yes did have a lot of endurance for IM but mainly focused on the bike and didnt do much running...  I really want to go longer and hopefully run quicker!

• It would seem like a tragic waste of a fantastic opportunity to slavishly follow an off the shelf plan when you have a high level coach on the sidelines.  I understand why it's done this way but I would hope Paul will focus on the best for jbfar at the expense of the schedule rather than the other way round.  Paul - what are your thoughts on this?

Jbfar - I wish you the best of luck for your sub-3.  I often find that you can tell right off the bat whether someone is the type to have the commitment and dedication to succeed.  It appears you have that and it's good to follow the progress of someone who cares about the goal, rather than regarding the situation as 'mission accomplished' already merely because they got selected.

• Moraghan - I agree in principle with you thoughts about following the "off the shelf RW schedule". However I did just that for Abingdon 08 and went sub 3 with similar PBs to JBFAR.

This year I used the same program again, just tweaked the times down and added between 10 - 30 miles a week and managed to knock 4 minutes of my previous time.

I personally think it a good program, as it works for me, but like you say, JBFAR has an outstanding coaching team behind her that could easily exploit her strengths and work on the weaker areas...

There are also plenty of fast girls at Winchester to help push round the speed sessions....

•  Sue C

You are quite right ,a second run would be additional to the sub 3hr  garmin schedule, a lot depends on how Christina finds the schdule, its a case of little by little !

• Christina

enjoy your break ! and good luck with you Boxing day Blast

This will tell us were you are, pre 2010

Have a Great Christmas !

Enjoy

Paul

• Good luck JBFAR, i'm sure you will nail it with those PB's and your background,especially as you have a mentor that seems keen on high mileage. You may have seen MM has been told to rest for 10 days prior to his schedule starting, so he is fresh. As you both start at a fairly similar level its interesting that we can observe two different approaches. Although I've never thought it was rocket science. Train hard but don't break will usually do OK.  
  • Hello...so the snow hasn't cleared at all where I am!! Yikes! I  am hanging around waiting for tonights club run- i think we are doing hills then track work but it sometimes changes...hmmm may be interesting in these conditions...

Moraghan wrote (see

Jbfar - I wish you the best of luck for your sub-3.  I often find that you can tell right off the bat whether someone is the type to have the commitment and dedication to succeed.  It appears you have that and it's good to follow the progress of someone who cares about the goal, rather than regarding the situation as 'mission accomplished' already merely because they got selected.

Yes- Mission is nowhere near accomplished in fact!!  A lot of hard work is needed on my part before I can possibly say that!!  I want to train hard but not break (in the words of SF)

Hi to Paul- Great that we can be flexible with the sub 3 schedule and looking forward to ticking the runs off!

• Shadow - I was surprised to read LizY telling anyone to rest for 10 days at this stage.  Having gone through the thread, her advice was actually to reduce volume and intensity over Christmas as the guy had not had a `down period' for a long time.  This is different to rest.  The former would lead to the danger of slight detraining before jumping straight into the schedule; the latter seems to be a sensible precaution.