Wednesday 23rd December

morning everyone,
zero day yesterday, never made the gym, the allure of the wine bar proving too great, so...

today - gym/embankment at lunchtime for some kind of speedwork
why - missed yesterdays session

mava - nice gesture, and sorry to hear train troubles at London Bridge. We've been lucky into Waterloo, only patchy disruptions.
Re Yassos - tend to agree, but think they are a good workout nevertheless

Have a super day

Comments

• Morning.

Nice to be appreciated Mava.

Mike - I've found I'm better off running too though do try not to let it affect my gait too much.

What:                hopefully a longer run.
    Why:                  seeing where I'm at/making the most of having the time available.
    Last hard:        5/12.
    Last rest:         16/12.

Lyrics - familiar but I can't quite place them.

Training will be disrupted by travel and visiting as of tomorrow so hoping to make the most of today and do an easy 10 miler - though I'm not sure if the endurance tank has begun to be refilled as yet, will find out later conditions permitting!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning peeps.

What: 4.5M on snow covered paths.

Why: Love running in the snow !

It was warmer than yesterday mornings run.

A ' white-out ' up here in the West of Scotland as the snow finally arrived, just as our kids were finishing school for their Christams holidays.

Lyrics: No.

Have a good (and careful) one.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: 10.5 icy miles done before 7am
    Swimming lunchtime
    Party PM
    Why: The show must go on
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: 23 November, it was a Monday
    Lyrics: ??
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I got in the car and suddenly I knew the lyrics :¬)
  • Morning folks.

What: 7m d&d with 3m @ mara effort / 10-12m pm with 2 x 3m @ mara effort.
    Why: a little overload on the basis of a rest day y'day and 2 more after today.
    Last hard: this am - though I'm starting to feel pretty decent at mara effort again.
    Last rest: y'day.
    Lyrics: No.

Have a great day all!!!

• Hello again.

jumping in again.

Missed out on training on monday - was in bed at 8.00pm with a bit of manflu - woke up yesterday feeling great. as a result i had a great 10 mile session on the TM (outside is well frozen). Hope to get down to the woods/ beach later today ( ice not an issue down there) - not sure what i'll do  - it'll depend on time/ light available. Had a few pre christmas pints last nite and need a good head clearing blowout.

Regarding Yasoos and yesterdays debate, i managed 10 easy enough at my planned mara time pre mara and came in outside my time. Although, agreeing with Dustin, I found it to be a great workout.

Tipp - enjoy the overload - nice signs there. 

As a quick question, who trains on christmas day and who rests - i'm struggling as i always without fail get out for something on Christmas morning (even in my "non running" years) - its gives a great feeling for the rest of the day, but this year we are travelling midday to my mothers for the bite so it looks like i wont be able to fit it in. 

• Morning

I tend to agree with regard to yasso's, I can run 3minute 800M intervals off two minute recoveries but I am pretty sure I'll nver run a 3 hour marathon. I ran them yesterday a) Cos i'd never done a full set of 10 b) It seemed a easier option than 6 x 1 miles @ 10K pace off 2 minute recoveries which is what the coach had in mind! c) Thought it might give me a confidence boost.

PM2: Have run on christmas day for years, always fit a least 4 miles in before lunch.

Mava: Its just a run you missed, annoying but not life threatening.

WhaT: 3 miles in a bit
    Why: Hangover / 20 miles tomorrow
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: Friday

Lyrics: feel as I know them but no. Yesterdays, Moondance Van Morrison

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I'm a Christmas day trainer :¬)
  • Tom, enjoy your rest day today.

Shiva, don't beat yourself up. When's your ultra? I'm sure there will be enough time to get in those long runs. Weather looks like the big thaw is on the way and things are likely to improve at the weekend. Be careful out there: right now is not the time to try fast stuff.

LMH, nice to see you had an enjoyable run.

Re. Yassos - I never took them at face value. For me it's more like if you can't achieve them based on your planned marathon time then you ought to revise your goals. They are a good interval workout, though. For the record: I have recently done some 3:30 Yassos with relative ease, but I'm about a million miles away from running a 3:30 marathon!!  Shame ...

I was basing my assumption that DD is easily capable of a 3:20 race time more on his recent race and training performances. That man is flying!

Mava - it's out of your hands. Don't fret. What a nice gesture from your boss. That's a gift to cherish.

TT - sounds like a bit of a rubbish day you had yesterday. Bits of snow coupled with the xmas shopping frenzy is a recipe for disaster. I sent hubby shopping yesterday (lucky bugger is off already whilst I'm still slogging away) and it took him about the same amount of time for a very similar distance. He was well grumpy …

Paddy - I'm definitely running on Christmas day. The roads will be empty, it's nice and quiet and it gives you very smug feeling for the rest of the day. Turkey tastes better after a nice long run!

What: cardio session at the gym (30mins spinning bike, 30mins tready, 15mins crosstrainer, then some upper body weights to finish off)
    Why: freezing fog - can't inflict that on my respiratory system yet
    Last hard: Monday
    Last rest: Sunday
    Lyrics: I'm pretty sure I do but can't place them at the mo

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning.

I intend to run on christmas day. 

It will make up for nothing yesterday and quite possibly nothing today as it's still an ice rink on pavements here. 

I did make enquiries at my local gym but they want to charge me £38 for a mandatory induction before I can use the treadmills.  Bloody cheek.  If it's mandatory it should be free.  I did point out that they don't charge me for checking I know how to swim before letting me use the swimming pool but it didn't work.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Re running Christmas Day - I would like to, and have maybe once in the past 5. But ultimately with two children (11 & 8) sometimes its good to be at home with them. After all I can run any day of the year, but you only get one Christmas day a year with the kids and they'll soon be old enough that they would rather not spend the day with their parents. ( Will still try to squeeze in half hour in though....)

What update : 6.3ish miles along the Embankment, glorious running weather!
  • Christmas Day and New Years Day health etc permitting. Even if it's only 30 minutes or so - makes me feel much better!

Mava - any council owned gyms your way?

Very sensible Chickadeee image

TT - don't leave it too late if you're going out for that pm session will you?

Paddy - what's next racing wise for you?

Had a lovely comfy run - did 14 miles in the end with only the odd incident with the ice, got some very funny looks though.

• mavamava ✭✭✭
    LMH - that gym is a 'council' run gym (i.e. council owned but contracted  out). 
  • What -

Monday - 2nd ever karate lesson
    Why - take the kids so may as well join in.

Tuesday - 25 mile chain gang with stop at the Hollybush public house on the way back - not sure it was quite the forecast minus six but it was cold.    Cycling back on a road still covered in snow/ice  was interesting.   
    Why - sort of an annual tradition now we all stop at the pub on the last chaingang before xmas.

Today - been waiting in the boiler repairman after their previous repair lasted about 24 hours - unsurprisingly he hasn't come yet - so Christmas shopping will have to be this evening and there's a dog to walk some time so doubt I'll get any training done.    Achilles still not up to running - days like thesehalf an hour run would be ideal - on the bike you really need longer to make it worthwhile.
    Why - Really don't want to spend any longer with no heating or hot water.   

• Blimey Mava - that's nearly what I pay a month for DL membership!

Pops - how about a short turbo session?

• Afternoon all,

Mava:  Nice to have your effort recognised!  Our "council gym" is also contracted out, and they wouldn't let me use the treddies without joining for 12 months!  So I bought my own.

I'm a christmas day runner.  Last year it was VO2 Maxochism intervals.  Luckily, its 5m recovery this year.

• What:  10mi with 5 x ( 1x800m hill, 1x800m MP ) off 400m recovery
    • Why:  Icing the cake whilst I'm baking it.  Spookily enough, Mrs AF's icing our christmas cake today.
    • Last Hard:  Today was a bit stiff
    • Last Rest: 19/12

Have a good one!

• Hello again - Plan Change - Going to jump on the TM for a session in a min - its the way my day is working out.

LMH - next on the agenda is the vets XC on jan 4th. After that i have a few 10 mile and 10k road races leading up to a spring half m. Hows the body recovering after the IM?

I must try fitting in a 1/2 hour on Christmas day.

• I seem to be doing quite well Paddy, a residual tiredness - though being tired is fairly normal for me - and a slightly strange 'it's ok to do this but ask much more of me and you might be disappointed' feeling which is probably all in my head as so far I've managed everything I've tried to do - but then I haven't asked for anything other than 'easy'.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Dustin - Basingstoke ParkRun on Christmas day with goodie bags for the kids.
  • What:  a.m. 2.57m easy; p.m. 9.56m easy.

Why:  Base building.

Best I've felt on a wednesday run for quite a while, but last long run was the worst I've felt for a while.  Never a problem being on form for quality sessions - if I can feel good on the wed and long I will be fairly strong.

Good to see everyone getting some miles in wherever possible.

• Evening all,

Well done to those of you that trained outside today on the ice! I was watching Sky News to check the weather back in England and they showed one guy pull up his car on the side of a main road, jump out in full running kit and bound off in the snow beating all the cars ahead in the traffic jam - haha very impressive.

D.D. No questions yet about Dubai but I'm sure I'll have plenty nearer the time.

Re. Yasso's. I wish they were a good indicator of marathon finish time. Quite early in my training I ran 8 reps with a 2min rest all @3.25 pace. I know you should do 10 but I'm sure I could now and didn't find it to be one of the hardest sessions I've done. Going off my long runs recently I'm nowhere near 3.25 mara time but wish I was!

What: 21.5M Long run

Why: Should've ben 20M but felt good and kept going. Penultimate long run over 20M before full mara 5 weeks away.

Last hard: Today

Last rest: Friday

20M planned today at +30s per mile mara pace. Was going well then hit a rough patch @ 10M and was going to call it a day. Bumped into a club member going the other way and joined him instead of stopping. He was running a lot slower @10mm pace so I just jogged chatted and enjoyed - before I knew it I was 4M off my route and a further 4M from home. Left him and picked up the pace going back - legs felt great after 14M so picked up to Mara pace to bring back my time target. Within 2M of my house decided to take a detour to the gym. Quick 5 min stop to enter and get a drink then jumped on the dreadmill for the last 2M now running 15s per mile faster than marathon pace, got to 20M felt good so increased speed and stopped at 21.5. Stopped the Garmin and I'd just about brought the overall pace back to target following the very slow jogging with my friend in the middle. Stopped Garmin then remembered house was another mile away from gym so jogged back making the total about 22.5M in the end. Didn't go anywhere near as planned today but a good run nonetheless.

Take care on the slippy roads everyone.

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Sandrunner, sounds an interesting run. Don't you just love it when a plan doesn't come togetherimage

Rest day for me - currently operating on a 6 day cycle of 9m:7m:9m:7m:12m:rest. Quite pleased that i don't have to juggle to find a run in this weather. Also helps keep the aches and pains under control.

Have a good evening.
  • Evening!

What: 10 mins slippy today and yesterday
    Why: couldn't stay on my feet much longer! As icy as I've ever known it around here (27 years in my house as of today!).Can't afford to fall over now that my arm is well on the mend.

Some good running from plenty of others though!

Lyrics: not today.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • evening

Nice to see so much mileage being bagged in the face of the elements and underfoot conditions.

managed to bag 5.5 miles more myself at lunchtime at work. Was running on a frozen layer - but it seemed to be mainly of hail and there was a surprising amount of traction available.

HR was about 10 bpm too high all the way through though and this evening following trips to Morrisons & Sainsbury's (punctuated by another painful massage session) I suspect I'm beginning to find out why - there's an increasing sniffle taking hold. Just hope the Vit C, Echinacea and Manuka honey can keep it at bay....

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Still on the treadmill as icy down here.... 5m done.

Plan to do a longer run tomorrow providing no ice...

• Paddy - I wouldn't be against running Christmas Day persay, but I have to admit I am totally looking forward to 2 complete days of nothing but family stuff. Jr between having his birthday tomorrow and Christmas Day right after is completely wound up. It's great fun image

chickadee - it was indeed. I think the worst of it was simply having to work whilst supposedly off, but all's well that ends well as it looks like I'll get both the overtime and the holiday back image Are you ok to be back running btw?

LMH - I've got my own treadie, but cheers.

Nice one Sandrunner.