Snow+Rock G3 January

Looking for a 10k around January and spotted the g3 - I'm trying to gauge how difficult it is. I did the recent Pine Ridge 10k in deep mud, lashing rain and  hail and enjoyed it so maybe this will suit me - is XC very different to rough trails? I'm assuming the ups are a lot steeper image

Will I need to get some XC shoes? I currently use Brooks ASR and they were fine in the mud at Pine Ridge.

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Angie

Comments

• this is hard work. not necessarily muddy and boggy but more woodland trails, hills, sand and a great atmosphere. January is almost sold out
    toby (race director)
  • Hey just like Angie... I would like to know how difficult this challenge is... Im more a marathon and half marathon runner... last run was henley half which has a 1km steep uphill...Im up for a challenge but dont wanna get out of my depth!?

Any help...ideas and advice appreciated!

Gail West London

• Toby - thanks for the info, think I will chicken out this time as have my first HM at end of Feb and don't want to half kill myself the month before ....
  • gribb - you'll be fine! not sure you should be doing a HM if you'll take 3 weeks to recover from a 10k

see you on race day, toby

• LOL - not sure I should be doing a half marathon either image
  • Add 30% to your 10k road time. I did the February race and the 1 in 3 "walk" up St Martha's was a killer. Overall good fun and worth getting up for the early start.
  • I ran the pine ridge 10K and run St Martha's Hill most weeks.  The difference - the hills as the terrain is probably marginally easier, but that could have been the conditions - hail, sleet and rain at Wisley was not nice!  I would thoroughly recommend running a few hills before the G3!

I have signed up for the G3  for the first time and i'm looking forward to it!  The views are great and countryside wonderful.

(I ran the PR 10k in Brooks Cascadia's and they are fine around Newlands/ St Martha's)

• This race is very good and a lot of fun. I think January course is a bit easier. Road shoes are just about OK in dryish conditions but it can get a bit sloppy if it's wet. Regular/fast XCers will be in their XC shoes/spikes. Most people come back for more. Easy parking, on site cafe with decent burgers, chips, bacon roll, cake, tea etc etc etc.

Course was filthy good fun yesterday on the MTB as well! 

Take a spare pair of shoes to drive back in and a towel to put on your car seat if you get a bit muddy.

The view is unparalleled if it has been snowing. Picture postcard stuff.

• hi runners,

Im looking a place please let me know if you cant run Ill be happy to  take your place and pay you the fee...

thanks.

annie

• Ran the January course yesterday morning in the foot deep snow. That was an unusual experience. And tougher than I would have expected. But that may just be the extra half a stone and Xmas loss of fitness.

Redcat, might be worth emailing Toby directly for any cancellations. I would check with him before just buying another runners number though.

DB

• Nearly there. See you all Saturday. You know it's new year when the G3 is back! Conditions likely muddy!
  • Was it just me, or was that tougher than last year? Flew down the first mile, then was almost at a standstill even on the second one! Thoroughly enjoyed it, though.
  • Can't help! that was my first one.  Your time was good though - how did it compare previous times?  Was the course the same?  Really enjoyed it so shame I'm away for the next one but will  look forward to the third one! (and gives me time to get a bit more practise in as I hadn't worked out it was St Martha's twice!)
  • Don't forget, March is Martha's Back Passage. Be very afraid.image

I was very slow this year. Old and fat. And it seemed quite tough for Jan. Toby stuck another couple of upflats in, notably going up Martha the first time the hard way instead of the slightly eaiser one off to the left and the big dipper about halfway into the foresty bit on the outward leg. 

Top morning out though. One of the very best.

• I thought it was a bit longer this year than last-my time was quicker, but then i'm a stone lighter than then, which makes a difference. I'm directionally challenged though, so couldn't spot where the changes were, so ta
    much for the steer. It's a great but odd race-for me, quicker than last year, had a good one, but still had dead-feeling legs on the first hill, never mind the last!
  • Well, March will be fun, team of three of us doing it in 35lb bergen and military boots in prep for paras 10 later in the year. Please laugh at the state of us when we finish! The cafe will be hit for some serious calorie reloading after.