Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Vicky (sub-4:30)

Comments

• Give me until tomorrow night Pix, then yes. 

This is the filthiest cold I've had in years, so no pressure for a PB!  It's a case of gather-ye-miles-whilst-ye-may, apparently there's another wall of fecking snow forecast for Tuesday, and the last batch hasn't completely cleared yet

How was your Christmas?

• I'd just like to point out Hash's cold is nothing to do with me.

Hash, please be careful - I went running with a cold and then I got properly sick (broke my lungs).

'Momento' sounds a bit vague to me. I'd like to know, in advance, the actual goodies before committing to running. Come over to Bungay - they give out bottles of beer as prizes (locally brewed organic stuff). Nice 20k/10k on 21st February if interested (plug, plug)

Have fun at Buntingford - but be careful....

• Good luck for tomorrow Hash and remember if you are racing injured (ie if it's not a head cold) you are setting a good example to your husband image
  • Thanks all.  Not racing, promise, just plodding around a rather lovely course at no-pressure pace then trotting off home to finish demolishing the turkey.

Okay,okay time to come clean.  There's a runnig shop called Fast Feet Sports, I think they're based in Bishops Stortford or somewhere miles from me.  Anyway, every year they have a MASSIVE clear out at the Buntingford Year End 10, and every year I stock up big time to last me for the next 12 months.

Please someone tell me that they belive that my turning up tomorrow is due to commitment rather than being a gear junky? image

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Hash, hope you get over your cold quickly.   I'm had a attack of the oink flu  - dreadfully crap timing as I was really looking forward to Christmas and hosting for the family for the first time in new house.  Oh well.

So, a week to get fully better and then dive head first into the schedule.  Should be interesting as I haven't really run properly for nearly 10 weeks.

Good luck Hash in your race, I hope you don't push it as with your cold you don't want to go backwards with just a week to go.   How come you haven't renewed your club's membership?   I'm torn between going to club or not right now.

• Thanks Sezz and hope you feel better soon  What did you end up doing for Christmas Day? Hopefully not struggling on feeling horrible and waiting on relatives?

The only reason I didn't renew my club membership is that they do almost exclusively cross country which I hate, so I was alwyas a token member at best.  It was lovely seeing them all today, and knowing most of the marshalls didn't half give me a boost.

Bleurgh.  Did a crap time but as I couldn't breathe I'm not going to fret about that.  It was well worth it though, I saw loads of people I hadn't seen in ages, lovely to see Mick & Phil and loads of forumites.  Best of all we got the most gorgeous, cutest race momento ever!  I put an apple next to it so you get an idea of how small and lovely it is.

Grrr...... RW upoloader says the file'd too big, here's my second attempt

• http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs234.snc3/22154_249874592173_573847173_4232340_2559697_n.jpg

Here you go Hash. Great memento and hope you picked up some bargains too.
  • Neat but not gawdy as my Nan would say.

Good job on 10 miles whilst ill. You nutter.

Hope you feel better soonimage

• Thanks LN, how did you do that?  I've just had about four attempts in FB and they all failed.

Ooooh yes - Asics winter running tights, normally £35, going for a tenner.  

Oh and the race was nice too, a bit like going to the pub without the beer.

Okay I have a question.  I think it's for Emma, but if anyone else has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.  I have this theory that if I have a cold and run hard and thereby ramp my temperature up, it should burn off the bugs and shift the cold, a bit like sweating it out with a hot toddy, only with fresh air instead of whiskey.  Any truth in that?  To be fair, given that at the moment I feel like the back end of a bus and a bomb has gone off in my head, the theory is a bit battered, but any thoughts most welcome

• x-post, thanks Spinkeltoes, how are you?

Actually I'll nip over to yours and have a look.  If you have a hot toddy waiting for me that would be fabimage

• I'm not convinced you can sweat out a cold Hash. It's a virus at the end of the day and it needs to run its course.

Re your pic, I just right clicked on your photo to copy the address and then did Insert Image. I find it normally resizes the pic automatically.

• Logical re the first and thanks again for the second LN.   

I've been swallowing echinacea for a week and it's been fighting it off, to the extent that I'd wake up at stupid o'clock  as is my wont with a sore throat, take a double dose, and then be fine by the morning.

I can't afford to be ill,  I'm back at work tomorrow morning and will be the only person answering all the phone calls from the moaning public whilst trying to have a meeting with someone who's coming in from Suffolk to talk through planning an event whilst it's 'quiet' (I did try to tell her!).  Oh, and they've forecast a wall of snow and I'm going to try to shuffle Blouse back and fro from the doctors if he can get an appointment.

• Hash please don't run if you have a temp or your chest is in the least bit tight.  One of the ladies in my group ran with what started out as a bad cold (she didn't tell me just how poorly she felt at the time or I would have sent her home) we did a bit of speed work and she got double pneumonia!!  Please be very careful

I have only run twice in a week but had a really good run today - only 3.5 miles but managed it in 32 minutes which I was seriously pleased with and I actually enjoyed it today which was the first time in ages.  I took my ventolin before I went- again the first time in ages - I had forgotten how much better it makes me feel.  My peak flow readings have been down quite a bit so have decided that pump it is for the next few weeks at least!

I have been taking a  full whack multi vit plus glucosamine (separately) for years and rarely get colds (notice I didn't say never so as not to curse myself image)  Even though I generally have a healthy diet

• Oh forgot to add.  I downloaded the schedule today so it really is happening now image
  • Sorry to hear you are poorly Hash! rest up and get better- no more 10 milers although that memento was the cutest one i have ever seen and well worth it! But remember what Liz said "now is just about chilling and building to that point" (mid jan)

I'm away for a week or so now but hope you get better soon...X
  • Come on Hash where are you??  Hope you are ok.
  • Hey ho the snow is back image

• Afternoon all

Aw..... thanks everyone, you lot are lovely.   I'm at work, so can only get on here between 1 and 2.

Well done on your time Rio, and at least you got it in before the snow came down again.  They're threatening it here as well, and I'm so hoping it doesn't happen, I'm terrified of driving in it..

The cold is going great guns, which is a bit of a shame as there's only me trying to answer all the incoming calls.  Not that there's very many of them, but I'm trying not to cough and deafen the person on the other end.   Still, on the plus side it makes them get off the phone quickly!

Just had a panicky phone call from Blouse's mum, who works for the NHS and has spoken to one of the physios there.  He reckons  that ihis foot shouldn't still be huge, his toes shouldn't be black, and he should be able to put weight on the ankle after a week, so it sounds like they've missed something.  It looks like I might have to drop him back at A&E to get it x-rayed again.  If it was a three hour wait on the Monday before Christmas, gawd knows how bad it will be today.  Probably best he has some lunch first.

We're such a healthy pairimage

• Oh Hash!  Not a good end to the year!
  • I know this makes me a bad person, but being on my own doing all the phones has its compensations - I'd have to drop him off and get back to workimage

There's not many things that make writing a risk assessment and listening to the public moan seem like a better option, but sitting in A&E is definitely one of them!

• Blimey Hash. Didn't realise Blouse's toes had turned black. I wonder if they are fractured. When one of my friends broke his wrist, the fracture didn't show up on the first scan but it did a week later.  Hope things get sorted properly and that you feel better soon too.

• Hope all is ok with Blouse, Hash. Will be watching your progress with interest as I plan to follow the sub 4:30 plan this year for a marathon the week after London. Best I have managed is 4:47, so it's quite a big ask, but if I don't try..................
  • Hi and welcome along Diana. 

Good news - Blouse doesn't have a fracture, but he does have the most severe category of sprain.  The hospital doctor told him off royally for attempting to go to work with it and he's been signed off for a fortnight.  FANTASTIC!  With my worried wife head on, it means he will now finally rest it and put it up, with my selfish head on it means that when I have my week's leave from work next week, I won't have to drive there and back twice a day to be his taxi.

Other good news.  I don't know if it came across in what I wrote yesterday, but I must admit I read all the concerned messages at lunchtime and wondered if it had.  The reason I ran a crap time at Buntingford yesterday was that I got a sharp pain in my right knee at mile 8, just after slipping slightly on an icy patch.  This morning my knee hurt under the kneecap, I was pretty sure it was only runner's knee, but didn't know for certain.  I didn't want to put it on the forum in case I seemed like some pathetic hypochondriac, what with the ankle, the cold, Blouse's ankle, blah blah blah.

Anyway, thanks to the fabulous fizz Gary Smith in Letchworth (shameless plug, he deserves it) I know it is only runner's knee, no major harm done, I'm just on the injury bench until training starts on 4th January.  Oh, and ironically I have some exercises to do that involve a wine bottle - where will I get one of those?  He was fabulous, squeezed me in for an instant appointment, grinned his head off when I told him about the super six thing, and didn't slap me when the first question I asked when he'd confirmed what it was was "so when can I run next?"