Great Running Technique

Comments

• Its interesting to note that the torso posture of a front foot&toes runner is much more concurrent with an increase of inhalation and the torso posture of a heel runner much more concurrent with a decrease of inhalation.
  • but Ricky.............why are you ignoring the question about your running............how much and often do you run and how successful is this technique for you.............

otherwise you are just spouting a pile of info without any experience of how it feels for your calves and other muscles etc........or for what distances have you tried the technique.eg 1 mile, 5 miles 20 miles 100 miles..............

did you have to build up slowly ........did you have any muscles problems when you adjusted your style............

we are runners and therefore need information about running.........not just art pictures.

otherwise it is safest for us to run in the way that is natural for us as individuals.........

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Woah, woah, WOAH! Let's have a look at that vase again shall we?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/548882/Gallery/bbk_panathen_amfora_hardloop_1.jpg

The bloke on the right (I assume he's leading the race is he?) has got a left leg roughly 1.618* times longer than his right leg.  He's just getting ready (presumably) to plant his right forefoot on the ground, yet his (freakishly long) left leg is still in contact with the ground.

I'm not quite sure where I'm going with all of this, other than to say: Ricky, mate, I think you need a stiff drink and a lie down.

*the magic ratio.

• Phil I do believe the Greek gents are suffering from perspective syndrome

This where the runner has one leg shorter than the other so he can deliberatly fit on the side of a vase and how can you presume hes winning the race he might be at the back being  lapped, its a vase and round seeimage

Ricky once again tell us about you as a runner

what has the inhalation and exhalation got to do with anything

You breath you run, if your posture is upright and relaxed you breath better when you run

I dont need a vase to tell me that

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Oh God.........this thread is going to run and run.....I just know it.

Interestingly, if you look at 19th century paintings of horse racing you'll note that they actually don't run like that....and neither do the Greeks on vases.

Ricky.............whilst there may be some benefit in forefoot running, I think your source material is a bit suspect. You on the other hand are an idiot.
  • I want to talk to you about archery...............
    http://slager3s.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/greek-god.jpg

• I think here is a particularly exciting example...

http://www.show.me.uk/dbimages/chunked_image/runner.jpg

torso posture promoting... erm... increased inhalation...?

• I know hes not Greek but I think you will understand the sentiment

I think we could learn a lot from one of my local heroes

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ezz8wFq6bwo/SM-BFmpyyWI/AAAAAAAAA10/0-H9TQpH2L4/s320/cerne+abbas+giant.jpg

• Oh no shock horror.... ancient greek runners....

http://cd7.e2bn.net/e2bn/leas/c99/schools/cd7/website/images/Greek-ancient-olympics-7.jpg

All heel striking!!! image  Fetch a few boxes of Kayanos quick!!!!
  • none of your little greek Willies  in Darzet look image
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Philip is Greek for 'lover of horses'.

No comment.

• Edit: deleted message as posted on wrong thread

• Goldbeetle, don't you know anything?  Greek runners used to always run the same way round the stadium so were selectively bred with one leg shorter than the other, to make cornering easier.
  •  Seren nos ive used the front foot&toes technique extensively in running sprinting and also walking.

In terms of someone starting the technique I would suggest starting light as the musculature etc is employed in different amounts to heel running. Id say age may be a factor in the ease of switching techniques. I would recommend every one gives front foot&toes running a good go and see how they like it.

• M.ister W wrote (see)
    Goldbeetle, don't you know anything?  Greek runners used to always run the same way round the stadium so were selectively bred with one leg shorter than the other, to make cornering easier.
    Like haggises were for running around mountains in a spiral fashion ...

• http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/548882/Gallery/bbk_panathen_amfora_hardloop_1.jpg

Are we also supposed to run with our trailing arm stuck out behind us like that? And should we twist our torsos around completely so that our chests are facing sideways?

The reason those figures have either their chests or backs pointing directly at us is that ancient greeks did not understand perspective in art and so their figures are always more or less two dimensional. That's also why all their faces are in profile, they didn't know how to draw them any other way.

So I don't think you can learn much from them as they don't represent reality in the same way that a photo would. In fact if you wanted to study running technique you could do a lot worse than looking at video of modern top-class runners.

• I have to say Nam thats a strange looking vase. Yes the torso posture is concurrent with an increase of inhalation. The torso is arched forward and the stomach is pushing forward both of which are concurrent with an increase of  inhalation.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/548882/Gallery/runnerstrange.jpg

• That guy just looks like a very uptight dwarf to me.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

"The torso is arched forward and the stomach is pushing forward both of which are concurrent with an increase of  inhalation."

Well if you're still insisting that these vases portray phsyiologically accurate images 'concurrent' with various bodily functions, I put it to you that this weird dwarf-freak bloke is actually breathing through his thighs.  Look at the size of them!

• We havn't heard from devoted to distance, or zanzinger lately, which means the forum can sometimes feel stale. So it's refreshing to remember that there always seems to be some troll who'll turn up sooner or later to breathe new life into the forum.

It's like they're being commissioned by RW, so thanks Ricky, you've given me a laugh image

• hmmm the Dwarfs willy is a little bit bigger than the other vase runners,

maybe its the excitement of  an increase of  his inhalation,

• So did the evidence of the vases suggest:

1) Only men are supposed to run
    2) they should do so starkers

I can't decide if that would increase or decrease the audience for athletics events...

I don't look good standing decoratively wrapped in a sheet, so I'll treat them as decorative images rather than a guide to modern life, thank you very much.

• Ricky Bennison wrote (see)

I have to say Nam thats a strange looking vase. Yes the torso posture is concurrent with an increase of inhalation. The torso is arched forward and the stomach is pushing forward both of which are concurrent with an increase of  inhalation.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/548882/Gallery/runnerstrange.jpg

This has to be a wind-up!  Nobody could look at that vase to study inhalation!  image 

But its very funny.  image

• It's getting annoying now actually, anyone can take old pictures of pottery and make up a load of jibberish about it.

I'm with what others have mentioned, if you can show us some evidence other than artwork to suggest that you use this style and haven't managed to seriously injure yourself then I'll pay more attention. As for claiming to use it whilst walking, sod off that would be equally as ridiculous not to mention totally impractical.

Come on Ricky, post a video or even a picture of you running like this. And not another ancient vase......

• aye Ricky what Yorkshire Rob said lets see you running Greek style, with some shorts on of course
  • Body posture can be an accurate indication of whether inhalation is increasing or lessening. For the reason that when you look at a bodies posture what you are seeing is physicaly linked to that bodies internal functions. Due to this link certain functions and forms of body posture are typicialy concurrent with certain functions and forms of internal body function. 

The torso being arched forward and the stomach pushing forward are both typicaly concurrent with an increase of inhalation.