Running in the snow?

Anyone been out for a run in the snow yet? I haven't ventured out the door, but itching too once I get a few meetings out of the way!!

Comments

• Yep, last night, it was great. Going out for another this afternoon as can't get to work
  • I went out this morning. Footpaths had become a bit too icy so did 5k around a nearby park. Really enjoyed it. Speed was a bit lacking, but if you get a chance, I would highly recommend it! I'm already looking forward to going out tomorrow morning too!
  • May seem a stupid question but can you run in snow in normal trainers?  Am very much a novice runner and 3 days into my marathon training and really don't want to miss the opportunity to go out......

I could possibly go to the gym and run on the treadmill but would prefer not to if possible as am trying to keep to running outdoors at the moment

• Angel I always run in the snow in my normal trainers - hasn't done them (or me!) any harm yet!

• Angel14 wrote (see)

May seem a stupid question but can you run in snow in normal trainers?  Am very much a novice runner and 3 days into my marathon training and really don't want to miss the opportunity to go out......

I could possibly go to the gym and run on the treadmill but would prefer not to if possible as am trying to keep to running outdoors at the moment

You should be Ok in normal trainers, just vary your stride for the conditions and expect to go slower.  However, it will be a good strength workout and better than the treadmill.
  • i know this is even a sillier question but dont your feet get really wet! my trainners are febric (asisc)
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I THINK that snow is made from water...which I believe is a bit like rain?

• Depends how deep it is! I went out this morning about 5.30 and it was lovely snow only about three inches deep though- and dry feet when I got home.

• You can stop your feet from getting wet by running really gently so that your feet don't sink into the snow.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    put wellies over your trainers?
  • Snowing now in Northern Ireland, finish work in 2 hours and can't wait to get out for a run.... will be wearing trail shoes.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

i know this is even a sillier question but dont your feet get really wet!

Not as daft a question as it first appears.  If the snow's soft and fluffy (rather than slushy) you'll hardly notice it.  In last year's snowy deluge I went over the park in my cross country spikes (getting some strange looks from the snowball throwers and sledders...) and my feet felt perfectly comfortable running through the snow... until I crossed a road and stepped in a very cold puddle!  Eurgh!

• LadyBeeLadyBee ✭✭✭
    Yup went out earlier and LOVED it. More snow, please! My feet got wet but I wear SealSkinz socks, that keep my feeet nice and toasty! Very glad I bought them now!
  • Thanks everyone!  I think I am going to brave it later and have a go - I can always turn back again if it is too slippery or horrible and can always just have a walk.  Really don't want to get injured as I need every day's training I can get if I am to run the marathon!

And shall wear my oldest trainers so if they get ruined it won't matter.  Have fun everyone!

• to stop yor feet from getting wet.

Put on a very thin pair of socks.  Cover these with plastic bags, the thin ones you put fruit in at the supermarket.

Put another pair of socks on top and off you go.

• Angel14, don't forget to wear shorts or you will, if where I live is anything to go by, look very out of place. 

For some strange reason, all those runners who have been wearing tracksters and tights for months have suddenly donned shorts

• LadyBeeLadyBee ✭✭✭

Hippy, I read that as you should put fruit from the supermarket into the thin socks, but somehow I think that's a whole nutha thread topic..

• What if the snow gets too bad for a length of time and you just can't go out? Where I live is like an ice rink with 4 inches of snow on top and just going out to the shop on the corner is dangerous. I'm missing my running terribly and don't have a treadmill in my house. Do any gyms let you buy a session at a time or do you always have to join for ten years? I'm a total gym dunderhead - never used one, hate the thought of them but with this bad weather i'm getting drawn to it. Any ideas?
  • LadyBeeLadyBee ✭✭✭
    Often gyms let you use them on a "pay per visit" basis, but many require you to have an induction first (which costs stupid amounts normally). I'd suggest ringing around and asking as different gyms will vary - often the council run gyms are more lenient (& less expensive) than private ones. Have you tried running offroad where there should be less ice underfoot?
  • Going at lunchtime, in about an hour, and looking forward to it!
  • Thanks - good advice, I'll check out the council gyms idea. Off road would be ideal but i live in the centre of a city so it's hard to get out (and don't have a car!). Ah well, guess just have to do pilates in my living room and wait for the thaw!
  • went out for my first run in the snow was wicked !!!!!!! carnt get the speed i'd like but still great fun ........ well until i was attacked by a barage of snow balls from work colllaguesimage
  • Artie Fufkin, Polymer Records wrote (see)

For some strange reason, all those runners who have been wearing tracksters and tights for months have suddenly donned shorts

Why are some runner's wearing the trackers and putting shorts on top now? Seans a bit pointless but never wear them so might be missing something inportant about looking after the boys as it were?
  • No, no, Cake, I meant they have replaced their tracksters/ tights with shorts, ie bare legs. 
  • Yesterday the snow was really bad here and came a fair distance up my wellies as I walked to work, as yesterday was not my timetabled running day I wasn't too concerned.  Overnight, the snowing has stopped but it appears that the existing snow has frozen over really badly and the ice that has formed is horrific!  I had planned on a nice gentle  5miles as I too am training for a first marathon, but I feel that I may end up doing myself more harm than good so instead am using the Wii fit jogging!!!  Not sure if this counts but at least I'm trying!  I am not ruling out venturing out later on but as it stands tomorrow is looking favourable!

• Sorry own bad grammar meant saw a couple yesterday who still had the tights thingy's on but put shorts on top and couldn't work out why. They looked ridiculous anyone know a reason for it?
  • I think blokes put shorts over their running tights for reasons of modesty.  They don't want to look like a male lead ballerina !  Some men call running / cycling tight B****ck crushers or BC's.
  • on the cold wintery days like this it takes a very brave and confident man too get out there in tights with it all(maybe not all after shrinkage !!!!!!) on show lol
  • Yep saw some of the crazy people just running in shorts last night. Brrrr! Had a run at lunch in the snow, but it's not settling where I am which helps. Just a bit sludgy in places. Thought I'd better get a run in while I can before it goes icy. image