Men in running stockings.

Hello,

A few weeks ago I bought a couple of pairs of running stockings, they chaff slighty but ultimatly are quite comfortable, its dark in the evenings at the mo so people didnt really see me in them. Anyway, one night I was running through an underpass which is well lite and as I ran passed people I get several strange glances and suddenly felt rather self conscience in them. Since then I have noticed lots of guys wearing shorts over the top of them (this is before the bad weather kicked in). Am I missing some sort of social etiquette here? Should I really be wearing shorts over the top? I wonder if seeing a guy in running stockings is a bit like seeing a guy wearing Speedos when he really should not be. Whats the score here?

Regards,P.

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Stockings are things that cover your feet, legs, and some of your thigh.... no pant bit!  No wonder people are giving you strange glances image

Do you mean tights? 

If so, you should ignore the ignorant, and wear what you are comfortable in.  There is no etiquette as far as I am aware.

Men who wear shorts over their tights lack confidence!

• When I get back from a run for some reason my wife is always there to greet me with a big smile, then I notice she is not looking too far from my lunchbox image When I'm out running though I wear a gillet which covers my nether regions so it's not too obscene.
  • She's not smiling, she's laughing!
  • Mr CS wears short shorts over his tights, personal preference I suppose...  You can see that you've got a bag of sweeties tucked down there for later but who cares if you dont.  

Unless of course you are only wearing stockings, in which case good god man put some clothes on!!! image

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    I can't wear those ones with the lacy tops - they give me hourglass thighs...
  • Whalenets are good, unlike fishnets where my hairs poke through, half my legs poke through whalenets, very fetching.
  • Mr. Puffy wrote (see)
    She's not smiling, she's laughing!

Cheers for that confidence boost image

• Yes, I meant tights!...oh jesus...image
  • I wear TIGHTS when running (stockings for the bedroom), and my missus thinks it looks "wrong", but I really couldn't care less.

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I was about to ask whether you were wearing them with a suspender belt?

But you have realised your own mistake.

• nowt like wearing a pair of shexy fishnets when out running especially in summer when all the holes let lots of cooling air through......

• I like it  whan my boyfriend wears his tights. I make him run in front of me image

He's also tried stockings, when dressed as a bunny girl, not running, and found they did elicit more attention from passers by.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I think maybe you should take your wife's views into account, Dan. 

If she thinks the stockings look "wrong", she's not likely to be very responsive image

• Nah, the stockings look fine, its the tights that look wrong image
  • Most people who wear shorts over running tights do so for the extra insulation and to help protect their arses from kicked up water (the same reason some running jackets have a lower back than front).  Surprised to see it happen in the temperatures we get in the UK though.

It used to be more common in the D.C. winters when it was very, very cold.

• In this weather I cover up my running tights with a lightweight pair of baggy waterproofs - adds to the wind insulation and avoids any worries on the sartorial front.

I think shorts over tights looks completely wrong image

• Was it the visible pantie line they noticed?
  • I wear tights most of the time and no-one gives me a second glance.  It's the same with the running club - if we're out for a long weekend run, 99% of the runners will wear tights and, again, no-one is bothered.  I don't wear shorts over mine, even when I'm wearing my 2XU's, I just think it looks a bit gay. image
  • ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I'm still in shorts, people give me lots of funny looks for that too. Just ignore other people and wear what you find comfortable
  • Running tights or tracksters aren't meant for shorts to be worn over them, what if you had to take a quick pee (you'd never get it out in time)   LOL

I wear running tights regularly and don't get any probs, then again i've got nice legs and bum (other peoples opinions, not mine) so i find it flattering if anyone wolf-whistles or passes a comment !

Just wear what 'you' feel comfy in and b#llocks to anyone else !  At the end of the day you're out there doing something you enjoy and keeping fit which is more than can be said for the rest of the lazy fecking population of this country   image

ps, i wear low-cut shorts in the summer when it gets hot too  image

• limperlimper ✭✭✭
    It's just impossible to give advice on this without photos first image
  • I recently bought some North Face running tights - reduced from £45 to £20.  Got home and realised they were womens running tights ( they were on the mens section, honest).  Rather than trapse back to shop in the cold and snow I tried them on and they fit better than my 'mens' running tights - they come up really high on the waist.

Flying Ant wrote (see)

i've got nice legs and bum (other peoples opinions, not mine) so i find it flattering if anyone wolf-whistles or passes a comment !

ps, i wear low-cut shorts in the summer when it gets hot too  image

I agree with Limper - we need photo evidence.

• PJAZ and Limper,   you'll just have to watch me at a race then (though i don't run races in running tights) as for displaying photo's of my legs and bum........, well that would be just a bit vain don't you think   ;)  

• What is wrong guys, it's still shorts season!!
  • I wear running tights when I feel like it, the first time I went out in them I felt a little daft but now I'm quite happy with them. Each to their own, I can't really bring myself to go out in shorts at the moment. I run at about 5.30 am and it was -7 yesterday when I set out so quite hard to motivate myself to wear shorts image
  • Well this running lark is losing me family credibility very (very) quickly. Last year when I pulled on my tights my daughter looked a little surprised. This year she has insisted that I only run when it's dark and provided I sneak out of the house in such a way that the neighbours can't see me.

I have my head torch on order. She's gonna die when she sees that.
  • torchy wrote (see)
    This year she has insisted that I only run when it's dark and provided I sneak out of the house in such a way that the neighbours can't see me. I have my head torch on order. She's gonna die when she sees that.

This was me when i got back 2nite from a 3.5m snow run, though i turned my headtorch off for the photo (alpkit gamma headtorch).

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs169.snc3/19639_1185164071413_1297603758_30460480_2366030_s.jpg

• I ran with tights for the first time today. I have to say that two girls who were walking in the opposite direction were totally fixated on me I noticed. My conclusion therefore is that men obviously look sexy in tights. I think the fashion industry has missed a trick.
  • We both agree, it's my missus who looks better in stockings or tights, so instead I tend to prefer wearing "trackie bottoms". Or running tights as others call them. If it's really cold, I wear two pairs at the same time, but haven't had to do that this year (yet!).

Still not sure thaty they look flattering though - kind of half-way between Mr.Bean and Max Wall (if anyone remembers him). image

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Piriformis_Stretch_1.jpg